i30 Owners Club

It needs a 6th gear

Offline tombodombo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      near Melbourne
One thing that would be fantastic for fuel economy with my manual i30 diesel CV driving on country roads is a 6th gear.

I previously had a Citroen C4 diesel and that was enormously helped by being able to cruise in 6th.

I really miss that even now, a year later. The economy sweet spot seems to be around 85 to 90 km/hour in 5th which is just too slow to be acceptable on most roads.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
They are available in Australia now with a 6th Gear (at least 2 of our newest members have 6  speed CRdi Manuals)  :D

6 Speed manual has been available in Europe for 12 months or more  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Our definition [in the UK] of a "country road" precludes the advantage of a 6th gear - we can hardly get out of 3rd on a typical run.

Motorways/highways, however, are a different thing altogether.

My test drive in Feb 2008 was in a 2.0L CRDi 6 speed model, which has since been phased out over here.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Personally I reckon 6th gear is bit of a waste in most of Oz with our low, over policed speed limits.....Although, in the Northern Territory, where the major highways have a 130kph limit, I could see it being handy....  :undecided:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
To me 6th is only of use when you have trips without having to stop/slow down and can motor along at 60 mph plus
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline jarsski

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland
      H

• i30cw 2.0 crdi style
I've had sixspeed manual allmost three years and 50000km.. Still going strong :-)

Offline tombodombo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      near Melbourne
Well it is nice to know it has been addressed for some.

I think the country roads in Australia could well do with a 6th gear. Speed limits are often 100 and 6th gear would reduce fuel consumption a lot at that speed.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I noticed on the current i30 ad that the consumption rating is now 4.5l/100km. Anyone with a calculator handy work out how many extra km on a tank that could be?

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I always get over 1100km out of a tank. I reckon I could drive about 11 km further in a 6 speed than in my 5 speed.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I noticed on the current i30 ad that the consumption rating is now 4.5l/100km. Anyone with a calculator handy work out how many extra km on a tank that could be?

A quick mental calculation:  point 2 LPH = 2 litres for 1000 Kms

So 2 extra litres = probably 40 kilometres extra from a tank  :goodjob: (obviously vary a bit depending type of driving)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
the only way to know is try one. but like the first post i think it could help as i've found that i got my best ever economy @ 1,900 rev this was @ 90kph i would use 6th @ 100+kph. but you have to think like we have no idea what additional load the wind resistace @ 100+kph will be. but i have lowered cars in the past & that improved fuel economy @ speeds noticibly. but don't think i'd lower the i30 as i've hit ground @ front of car a few times with no damage still worries me. the new 6 speed is supposed to have the new U2 motor, from what i have read it looks good on paper, like they saw it has a swerl in head this could help atomization, they also say it uses new type high pressure injectors, i read about a new injector for Diesel Boshe make not sure if this is what they use, but also say's it injects 5 times, suposed to have 10KW more power 5 NM more TQ could work well with 6 speed, but only time will tell. i think it will be to meet new polution standards who knows. it's hard to say without useing one, never know they could have different diff ratio or different ratio's in the 6 to the 5 speed. but diesels have TQ @ lower revs so can pull the 6th ok i'd say

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
To me 6th is only of use when you have trips without having to stop/slow down and can motor along at 60 mph plus

Lester agreed, just i go out in the stick a lot and hit some very straight very few cars stretchs and set CC 6th would be welcome

Offline kickininthefrontseat

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle NSW
I have one of the new 6 sp manuals,

it just about sits on 2000rpm at 100km/hr, the edges of the needles do

also have cruise and it works very well, the diesel just keeps pulling, even in 6th up pretty serious grades

6th in 80km zones works also, took a while to try because 4th also feels fine, the car just about idles
  • White 2011 CRDi 6sp man sx + spider

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
6th in 80km zones works also, took a while to try because 4th also feels fine, the car just about idles

How do you find 80km in 6th? I feel just manages without much reserve if you need to accelerate. Do you feel it is labouring? Do you think more economical than 5th at 80km/hr?
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline kickininthefrontseat

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle NSW
I don't have a gauge to say, the advice here has been the higher the gear the better

it doesn't have any spring at such low rpms so it only if you want to economise, but i wouldn't say it labours
it took a few weeks to get comfortable with idling along at 80
  • White 2011 CRDi 6sp man sx + spider

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal