i30 Owners Club

on the way dooooooooown

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
$1.39 on the Princes Highway near Bomaderry (Australia)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
It's a slow haul down here.. :rolleyes:

1.199 Unleaded
1.449 Diesel...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Mobil selling diesel @ $1.34.9 unlead ( not e 10 ) $1.08.9
does anyone know why diesel staying up over 20cent more than unlead? i can buy 98 octain cheaper than diesel.

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
$1.38 in Mobil on Princes Highway in Bomaderry.
Its coming down, but a wee bit more would be nice
 8)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Mobil selling diesel @ $1.34.9 unlead ( not e 10 ) $1.08.9
does anyone know why diesel staying up over 20cent more than unlead? i can buy 98 octain cheaper than diesel.

Hi Lakes It's called profiteering!

Our local automobile body RACT says Diesel in Tassie is about 20c per litre dearer than it should be (around 144.9 versus 117.9 for unleaded)

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

I reckon the reason for that is that the media is only concerned with Mr and Mrs Kmart Shopper.
Consider the media backlash around banks and interest rates at the moment. They haven't said a word about personal loans in the media (which went steadily up as the reserve bank RAISED rates, but now RBA LOWERS rates, they've stayed as they are) yet we hear a LOT about Home Loans and Personal Loans. Because EVERYONE has those.

Similarly, EVERYONE drives unleaded cars, Diesel is a fuel for the rich people (come on, diesel vehicle purchase price is $2-5k dearer), so the media doesn't concern itself with it much - so petrol companies don't NEED to bring it down.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
well here is another way to look at it, i think the price of petrol came down because when it was high, people were thinking about an alternative fuel, so oil companys or oil barons thought it best to drop the price rather than have everyone go to some other form of fuel.
but with diesel, who knows? they say the demand out strips the supply, there is a limited number of diesel refinery's. but i remember someone saying that Caltex were thinking of limiting petrol production and producing more diesel, as profits were beter.
who knows?
but this is for sure, does not matter if you drive petrol or diesel, with price of diesel up we all pay, indirectly, as everything gets delivered with diesel trucks, the farmers use diesel powered equipment, frieght trains are diesel powered.

also remember the pice of a barrel of oil is now $40us down from around i think? $90us. also that is low as they say oil demand is always at it's highest when it is winter in Northern Hem.
if someone can come up with more info that would be great.
 ps they were selling e10 @ $0.93 & Diesel @ $1.34 in Syd today could have even been cheaper.

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

also remember the pice of a barrel of oil is now $40us down from around i think? $90us.
Down from $140US. And demand has dropped worldwide for oil with the financial crisis, so speculators have reduced its value. But that doesn't mean that the Australian resellers needed to lower the price - people *could* still be forced to pay $1.50 a litre, and 90+% of people would still be able to pay it, so they'd be making unimaginable profits. Yet for some reason, whether it be media or the pressure of the investigation on whether they were being anti-competitive, they've lowered their unleaded petrol prices. I think enjoy it while it lasts. "Big Oil"/OPEC is trying to increase their price-per-barrel by reducing production. Analysts don't know how effective that will be, as not all of the individual producers want to follow the group's decisions.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Today my local Shell selling

Unleaded for £0.879 ($1.9697aud)

diesel £0.999 ($2.2386aud)

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Diesel below a quid  :eek: excellent
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Diesel below a quid  :eek: excellent

Initially I thought the sign was wrong and that was for unleaded premium.

On checking the pump it had 0.999/l

so I topped up.

I read in todays paper that the differential of on average 12p to 14p between unleaded and diesel should be less towards to end of the month.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2008/12/09/morrisons-cuts-diesel-to-below-1-as-supermarket-petrol-price-war-hots-up-115875-20957343/

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
$0.959 for ULP.
$1.409 for Diesel.

45c difference.  :evil:

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
95.9, Where did you see that? Was that before discount?
Shell in Belconnen was 99.9.
Still glad you got the Diesel though aren't you Thumper?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Mobil $1.08.9 unlead   $1.32.9 Diesel, BP $0.99.9 E10  $1.34.9 Diesel i filled up @ BP as a hi turnover diesel Truck outlet,my CRDi always runs sweet on the fuel from that outlet, seems to run just as sweet as on Caltex Vortex Diesel just\ takes longer to fill up due to foaming, but faster to fill than on Mobil, but no idea why.
i'm not compaining as we all expected to be paying $2 per litre so i'm happy, just hope the cheap unlead does not kill people on the roads over Xmas that would be sad.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Yeah, 95c with voucher....

Diesel is down to $1.319 down here in Melbourne, that I saw on the way in this morning.

Will fill up before heading back.

No regrets in buying a diesel here.  :cool:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Me either... Love my CRDi...

and diesel is coming down slowly... :razz:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Yeah, 95c with voucher....

Diesel is down to $1.319 down here in Melbourne, that I saw on the way in this morning.

Will fill up before heading back.

I have no regets buying diesel, myself. i have a long memory the price of petrol goes up and down a lot more than diesel . but main reason i love diesel is the low down Torque and the fantastic economy and range you have from a full tank.
when i'm driving company cars or trucks i have a fleet card to buy fuel with but i hate having to stop to fill up!!
with my V8 Ute it has an 80Lt tank so on a trip easy 800k between fill ups i thought that was good, but now with a 53Lt tank that i mostly put 54Lt into but have got 57Lt in a few times. i have a range of 1,200k easy i have done 1,100k just sydney driving. but the 4 cylinder petrol toyota only seems to go 450k in sydney for 54Lt . i know if i had a i30 petrol all i would get is about 600k from a tank as i don't like driving like a 60 year old :) :mrgreen:
interesting to note, i saw an old friend and he still drives a HR holden three speed manuel, i was talking about not having to change gear much with the i30 diesel, my friend reminded me his HR only had three gears and no sincro on first gear so he only ever shifts from third to second for corners only uses first from a stop as no syncro ( this means grated gears if you try to use first unless you double shuffle). i don't know how he can live with an old car like that! i still have nighmare's just thinking about my youth when i had to drive cars like that!! :)
cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

ULP is now 106.9 in Devonport

Diesel 139.9 (they are shafting us - I'm sure  :twisted:)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
sorry to hear that Dazz, E10 was $0.88.9 yesturday and Diesel was $1.25.9 but judging by the traffic increase in Sydney, and the fact train fares are rising i would expect this low fuel prices can not last, if it does. traffic will be extreamly slow, air quality will be extreamly poor. but thats life.
cheers

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

85.9c/L after discount for E10 at my local Shell. My loan car is eating up this E10 but I'm not going to pay for the car repairs so not my problem.

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Saw ulp today for $099.9 and Diesel for $131.9 at the shell in Belconnen.
Come on Diesel, keep going down...you can do it son :twisted:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Diesel today down to 97.9p/l at Shell
Unleaded 85.9p/l

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Diesel today down to 97.9p/l at Shell
Unleaded 85.9p/l

I thought that was $0.97,9c/L for Diesel - wowsers - but not so. I still can't believe how much you brits pay for fuel.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I thought that was $0.97,9c/L for Diesel - wowsers - but not so. I still can't believe how much you brits pay for fuel.

We pay through the nose mate... through the nose :(
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
I weakened tonight, and used a Woolworths fuel voucher - first time I'd never filled up at BP! But I got diesel for 125.9 - its the lowest Ive had since I got the car!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Ozsnowman, they been selling BP Diesel up here at $1.23.9 for a few weeks,mobile $1.20.9. i been useing the BP for past few months and motor liked it then i went back to Caltex Vortex Premium Diesel put 57 L in @ $1.30.9 ( non woolworths Caltex servo ) now with 200 k up all city. the motor seems to like this even more than the BP, feels more responcive. think if i can get some country miles up will work even better as feels like its cleaning injectors. could not feel much gain straight off but now after 200 can.
not sure if economy any better. i used this Vortex b4 but motor only had about 15,000 up then now 25,000 up

Offline GURKHA17

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Darwin

• Darwin,NT, Australia
Think we should change the topic to "on the uuuuuuuuup" with the fuel prices increasing... :D
ULP - 122.7
Diesel - 135.7

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Yup, on the way back up again, but the media suggested this would happen (because they are ALWAYS right  :rolleyes: ). Also, prices jump here (aus) on Thursdays, I guess because most people get paid, and thus fill their tanks.

OK, well oil prices are incredibly sophisticated. A few of you were close to how oil price is derived, but there is so much more complexity to it. I'm not going to bore you with details (I will if you'd like  :mrgreen: ) but you have to consider exchange rates, crude oil barrel prices (which are in US$) and where the oil is shipped from, as well as where your oil price is based.  Here in Australia, the crude oil price is based on the Singaporean price (don't ask why). We follow their prices quite heavily, and derived from that there are surcharges upon taxes upon surcharges on crude oil.

I saw a break down in Motor magazine that based a litre of petrol costing AUD$1. A whole $0.38 goes to government taxes. This fluctuates somewhat, given economic hardship etc, but it generally is around that mark. Approximately $0.12 goes towards transport from wherever it's mined (although, we actually produce a whopping 80% of our own oil in AUSTRALIA!). Surprisingly, I don't think there was a large wholesale mark up... Then there are all these other insignificant taxes. I really need to get a hand of that magazine. Quite interesting.

Basically, crude oil is supply and demand. Too much demand, we get what happened mid 2008, with prices ready to bump AUD$2. Too much supply, as what happened the end of 2008, prices plummet. Now that OPEC (the oil producing countries), has curbed a lot of barrels of crude oil being manufactured, supply drops, demands rise, thus prices rise.

That'll do, won't it?  :lol:

Offline bikejockey

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Saw something I haven't seen in quite a while today at a servo in Phillip, ACT:

unleaded  127.9
Diesel      124.9

Wonder how long it'll last...
  • i30 cw SX CRDI manual, Surly LHT

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Devonport seems to be about in line Darwin..

Diesel bottomed out at 135.9
Unleaded back up to     123.9 today...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal