i30 Owners Club

Aussie radio show hosts take the p1ss out of the Poms!!!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Asa, I feel sorry for you.

You would think a bloody "Lord" could think up their own speeches in the House without quoting a commoner. :lol:

BTW , you were obviously not driving an i30 in those days. :happydance:

:whsaid:

Don't feel too bad Asa .. I can relate to that (all us "oldies" can no doubt recall times when we wish the ground had swallowed us up)

Can't we what..... I remember one in particular involving an attractive young thing with large knockers.
I shudder when I think of that one.  :-[
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Heir to ye olde throne, Charlie boy, thought it funny when interviewed on TV.  But then he was born in a good year, 48. :faint:

Rule Britannia :goodjob: :goodjob2:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That'll be the day Oz becomes a republic.  :happydance:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Heir to ye olde throne, Charlie boy, thought it funny when interviewed on TV.  But then he was born in a good year, 48. :faint:

1948 was a GREAT year.
Especially for this little black Goodyear duck. :goodjob2: :happydance:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

1948 was a GREAT year.
Especially for this little black Goodyear duck. :goodjob2: :happydance:

'twas T-10 for me.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort

swinz
Well now that the poor nurse involved has been found dead, I hope that you Aussies are truly happy with yourselves and the misery that your little pranks bring to the people involved.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Well now that the poor nurse involved has been found dead, I hope that you Aussies are truly happy with yourselves and the misery that your little pranks bring to the people involved.

The radio jokers... not all Aussies...
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

I think you should be talking about Journalists and not *Australians*, whom by and large are great guys, we had something similar not t0o long ago when two radio presenters thought it too be funny to phone a granddad up to tell him that they sha**ed his granddaughter.  Absolutely shameful behaviour.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

I think you should be talking about Journalists and not *Australians*, whom by and large are great guys, we had something similar not t0o long ago when two radio presenters thought it too be funny to phone a granddad up to tell him that they sha**ed his granddaughter.  Absolutely shameful behaviour.

In that case they were both given their marching orders by their employer which cost them dear. I hope the Australian radio program do the same to their pranksters.

If I were the family of that poor nurse I would be at a solicitors as soon as possible asking them to prepare a case to sue for appropriate damages. 

Like asa mentioned in his thread on this topic, I can't believe some of the stuff I have seen on other forums and blogs by anonymous people who are making the most derogatory comments about the poor nurse and claiming the prank had nothing to do with her suicide. The internet seems to have spawned a vicious breed of insensitive bullying morons who care only for themselves and take pleasure at the discomfort and suffering of innocent people.

Like asa, I don't think we should point any fingers at Australia - this was a prank by stupid journalists who seemingly had no regard for the possible consequences. In this World of instant communications and the media pursuit of sensationalism for commercial gain, they could so easily have been from almost any Country - we all have our idiots.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 19:56:22 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Looks like one if the nurses who took the call has topped herself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20645838

How awful.

Very sad,but also strange as This nurse was only the one that put the call through (not the one that did the talking)  :confused:

Gee that's a bit harsh  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Welcome to the forum swinz,

Pity you didn't think, before you typed that racist statement condemning ALL Aussies. :disapp:

With respect, I think the nurse must have had deeper issues and I am personally sorry that this tragic event has been thrust upon her family and friends.  :(

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Welcome to the forum swinz,

Pity you didn't think, before you typed that racist statement condemning ALL Aussies. :disapp:

With respect, I think the nurse must have had deeper issues and I am personally sorry that this tragic event has been thrust upon her family and friends.  :(

Agreed... rarely if ever would a single event drive someone to suicide.

And just for the record... I blame Journalists not Australians...

swinz
Sorry if you don't like my reply but take a look at the title of the post "take the piss out of the poms" what do you expect?

I do agree with your opinion that the nurse must of had deeper issues and this incident tipped the balance.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Sorry if you don't like my reply but take a look at the title of the post "take the piss out of the poms" what do you expect?

I do agree with your opinion that the nurse must of had deeper issues and this incident tipped the balance.

Welcome here Swinz, thing is us Poms and them Aussies have been having loads of banter for a long time here & we took no offence to that "take the piss out of the Poms" piece. We each do it... for many reasons, on this occasion it was a step too far by journalists not the great nation of Australia.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^^^^^^^

I might stand corrected on this but I'm not sure they were even journalists. Just radio jocks (presenters).
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I would take issue with the statements that someone must have deeper issues or that rarely if ever would a single event drive someone to suicide.

Such speculation in this case could be misinterpreted as suggesting that the prank was not the cause. We just do not know one way or the other.

Someone very special to me committed suicide 11 years ago and for sure it was the result of a single overwhelming event she could not live with.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Then we'll have to disagree Alan, the poor girl here simply answered the phone and was doing her job. I can't see how from that simple act she could be driven to take such extreme action. She was a victim in the whole stupid action and was totally blameless. Even the nurse who gave out the information has been treated appallingly, is a victim and deserves support not chastisement.

Nursing is a profession in my family and I know how difficult, tiring and thankless that job can be. I  :hatoff: to nurses worldwide.

If there is any fault here, the hospital should have ensured that with such a special guest present, suitable communication protocols should have been established.

As far a suicide is concerned, I too have had exposure to this situation, but this isn't the place to open that can of worms.

I hope the radio station and the morons concerned are dealt with appropriately. :fum:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Who knows if this one joke was what pushed this poor woman to take the action that she did, and quite frankly it is not for us to speculate.

What I do know is that this was a joke. It had a tragic outcome. I am sure that if those involved has suspected that one of the people involved would have killed themselves, they wouldn't have attempted the prank.

I do know that the world will be a fairly boring place if we have to moderate our behaviour to account for the one in one billion outcome.

As for the legal side, I doubt someone could prove at the balance of probabilities that the outcome transferring a prank phone call was reasonably foreseeable as suicide.

I would have thought the royal family would have been in possession of a mobile phone, and only accepted communication from it. It is the lack of a clear protocol on behalf of the hospital that is really the issue here.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

The poor girl here simply answered the phone and was doing her job. I can't see how from that simple act she could be driven to take such extreme action. She was a victim in the whole stupid action and was totally blameless. Even the nurse who gave out the information has been treated appallingly, is a victim and deserves support not chastisement.
I agree with you - I did not suggest the nurses deserved chastisement. The hospital management stated that they had received support - not chastisement.

Nursing is a profession in my family and I know how difficult, tiring and thankless that job can be. I  :hatoff: to nurses worldwide.  I agree completely

If there is any fault here, the hospital should have ensured that with such a special guest present, suitable communication protocols should have been established. Absolutely - but the main fault lies with the perpetrators of the prank and the solicitors who approved its transmission

As far a suicide is concerned, I too have had exposure to this situation, but this isn't the place to open that can of worms. I am sorry to read that and empathise

I hope the radio station and the morons concerned are dealt with appropriately. :fum: Absolutely agree

In my very first post in this thread I said...

They tackled the hospital in the early hours of the morning in the hope of hitting a soft target and spoke to a young nurse whose first language is probably not English and who would not recognise the Queens voice anyway.  Anyone with a smidgen of sense would know that if the prank was successful it could result in innocent people losing their jobs.  The first people to lose their jobs should be the stupid childish perpetrators.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The reference to chastisement was from our TV news last night. I thought at the time, "typical, look for someone to blame." I'm glad if that's not the case.  :goodjob2:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
For our armchair psychiatrist  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You seem to be out of step with all the INFORMED opinion, which seems to say that the two radio presenters/journo's were/are in the wrong, without equivocation.

I cannot see why you would take this stance except to attempt to validate your earlier comments.

That is just silly, when your in the wrong or have made wrong assessments of an event then it's time to stand up and acknowledge that.

Committing suicide is a very sad event and the so called (PRANK) clearly drove this lady to do that.   Isn't it time now to respect this tragic situation and stop making barmy moot.

Comments like 'She only answered the phone' are most unhelpful.  She ONLY answered the phone and then ONLY put the call through to Kate's private room...   She knew the seriousness of the error she made.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

With Respect Asa, everyone is entitled to have an opinion.

I can see merit in some of what everyone has posted so far.

I agree with Alan that a single major event might tip someone over the edge ( i can't see this being major enough to do that though)

These stupid radio pranks leave me cold but many people (including Prince Charles) seem to find them amusing and I don't personally think the Radio Announcers could have anticipated the end result (they didn't really expect to get through so easily)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
OK Dazz...

irresistible force, immovable object

Maybe Phil was right, it's time to close this down and get back to our common interest  CARS  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Godda go to the shops now Dazz and whilst there I may have a big fry up breakfast  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:  It's sunshine wall to wall here but mighty cold BBBbbrrrrr

Back later
Bye

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I think that Prince Charles was probably just trying to play it down a bit and appeal to the masses (this was before the sad news, remember).
In any event, we're all friends here.  :) and regardless of anything else, I think that we're all united in our thoughts for the nurse and her grieving family.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hindsight is a wonderful thing  :undecided:

Prince Charles has always been a prankster with a wicked sense of humour (like his dad)

No offence meant... Can i have your bat and ball while you're away ASA  :whistler:

Lets all agree to disagree .. RIP Jacintha Saldanha

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Yes, let's focus on what we agree on.  :goodjob2:

Yes,let's. Australian politics.  :)
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I thought he was quite conservative in his approach and not too liberal with ideas. :whistler:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal