The BIG DRL discussion..

Dazzler · 175 · 46433

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
They've gotten rid of the cd player and also removed the button to turn off the display, still no DRL's either :rolleyes:

:head_butt:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
still no DRL's either :rolleyes:

No great loss here in OZ....

I see them as more of a "look at me, look at me" blingy kind of feature, not something that is really needed....

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Well, DRL's are handy here in the hills in Winter & fog.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
You could always turn the headlights on...  :whistler:

Much safer too as you'll also have your tail lights lit up, something you won't have if you are just relying on your DRL's...  :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I see them as more of a "look at me, look at me" blingy kind of feature, not something that is really needed....

I like the look of DRLs ...  :whistler:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

They're a good safety feature, cars are much more noticeable with the DRL's and when travelling on the roads with shadows you can spot them from further away than standard headlights as they're non directional.

Plus you don't have to remember to turn them on :)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Plus you don't have to remember to turn them on :)
You don't have to remember to turn them on when they're not fitted. :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Yeah, the ongoing "Have's" and "Have Not's". Guess who's a "Have"........... I love them
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Awe! poor Gonz got no DRL's :Pout: :lol:

I have a feeling Gonz could whip up some DRLs that also double as some form of slow caravan in front removal device..... :evil:

I also remember when people used to break into cars to steal CD's, now you can't give them away....

Come to think of it, I remember when people used to break into and steal cars too....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
They're a good safety feature, cars are much more noticeable with the DRL's and when travelling on the roads with shadows you can spot them from further away than standard headlights as they're non directional.

Where do we draw the line, having a flashing light mounted on the roof would make cars more noticable too...oh, and what if we made everyone buy bright yellow cars???

It seems we would much rather cater for people with failing eyesight than to actually get these people off our roads...  :undecided:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Where do we draw the line, having a flashing light mounted on the roof would make cars more noticable too...oh, and what if we made everyone buy bright yellow cars???

It seems we would much rather cater for people with failing eyesight than to actually get these people off our roads...  :undecided:
When you manage to get all non attentive drivers with failing eyesight of our roads then we can all be thankful to you Rusty! now we don't need to wear seatbelts either :whistler:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Hey, it ain't my job.... :whistler:

Now that you mention unattentive, no amount of look at me, look at me bling is gonna make any difference for those drivers that aren't actually looking...  :lol:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Not everyone is as negative as you Rusty, you may call them bling but they do serve a purpose and the majority of people if given the choice would gladly have them.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
You may see it as being negative but I just see it as treating the symptom, not the illness...
If you can't see a car or a motorcycle or even a truck in broad daylight, then perhaps you shouldn't be on the road.

As for giving everyone the choice....Europeans don't get a choice, and the way things are going, us Aussies won't have a choice for much longer either...  :fum:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It's not about whether you can see them, the idea of DRL's is to make vehicles more noticeable...which they do.

At a quick glance you'll notice a bright light more easily than a car or bike that is hidden behind another or blending into to road through shading, yes there is the option to turn on normal driving lights which would give the same benefit...though then that person also has to remember to turn on their driving lights.

DRL's come on automatically so no need to remember to turn them on and being LED's they use less power than the normal driving lights and will outlast standard bulbs.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
If it was only so cut and dried....  :undecided:

There is much info out there on the www showing that drl's aren't as fantastic as you may think (much of it posted elsewhere on this forum) so I won't bother posting it all up yet again...

Btw, If they are so great don't you think the Australian Government would have made them a legal requirement years ago?  :undecided:

Just as an aside, one issue that has popped up with the use of drl's is the fact that some drivers aren't turning their lights on in adverse conditions,  instead relying on their drl's....forgetting that rear tail lights aren't on as they would be if they used their headlights....

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@Rusty, all I can go on is from my own personal use of DRL's and they are brillant.

The Australian government probably will make them a legal requirement at some stage but being that our government/trends are usually so far behind everyone else it's no surprise that it hasn't been made so yet.

Those same drivers forgetting (relying) their DRL's are on and not the driving lights would still probably forget to turn on the driving lights also so at least they have some light turned on. 

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Due to the uptake of the addition of DRL's across all manufacturer's and the requirement by authorities to insist on having them fitted, I would suggest that the road traffic authorities must disagree with your line of thinking, Rusty.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:32:50 by Phil №❶ »
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Don't stress too much guys.. Rusty is just winding us up.. He admitted earlier that they say "look at me"! Which is the whole point!  :spitty:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The Australian government probably will make them a legal requirement at some stage but being that our government/trends are usually so far behind everyone else it's no surprise that it hasn't been made so yet.

Not on everything, Craig....Back in the 90's they made it compulsory for motorcycle headlights to be hard wired so they came on when the engine was running. This was later rescinded as there was very little evidence that it was of any benefit.

Those same drivers forgetting (relying) their DRL's are on and not the driving lights would still probably forget to turn on the driving lights also so at least they have some light turned on. 

Then surely auto headlights would be a better option if people are that stupid then?  :undecided:
Considering rear end shunts are the most common accident on our roads then I'd say they would rank way ahead of drl's in terms off safety....  :undecided:

Due to the uptake of the addition of DRL's across all manufacturer's and the requirement by authorities to insist on having them fitted, I would suggest that the road traffic authorities must disagree with your line of thinking, Rusty.

What works in Europe doesn't necessarily mean they will work in our conditions, Phil...
As most would know, conditions can be a lot more gloomy over there than the mostly bright days we have here.

excerpt  from VicRoads website:
However, the merits of daytime running lights are yet to be demonstrated in Australian conditions. As Australia has not followed Europe in mandating daytime running lights, not all new vehicles are equipped with daytime running lights.

So, it would appear that the "safety" aspects of drl's in Australia aren't as clear cut as some would think....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Not withstanding every thing Rusty said.. Did I mention that I really like the look of DRLs on most cars...  :whistler:

I reckon this post sums it up pretty well..  :goodjob:

Yeah, the ongoing "Have's" and "Have Not's". Guess who's a "Have"........... I luv them

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer

Not on everything, Craig....Back in the 90's they made it compulsory for motorcycle headlights to be hard wired so they came on when the engine was running. This was later rescinded as there was very little evidence that it was of any benefit.

Then surely auto headlights would be a better option if people are that stupid then?  :undecided:
Considering rear end shunts are the most common accident on our roads then I'd say they would rank way ahead of drl's in terms off safety....  :undecided:

What works in Europe doesn't necessarily mean they will work in our conditions, Phil...
As most would know, conditions can be a lot more gloomy over there than the mostly bright days we have here.

excerpt  from VicRoads website:
However, the merits of daytime running lights are yet to be demonstrated in Australian conditions. As Australia has not followed Europe in mandating daytime running lights, not all new vehicles are equipped with daytime running lights.

So, it would appear that the "safety" aspects of drl's in Australia aren't as clear cut as some would think....

:crap:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:crap:

What's not to believe?  :rolleyes:

That you would let anyone else have the last word!  :whistler: :rofl:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Someone asked a question, it's only polite to reply, Daz...  :P

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Someone asked a question, it's only polite to reply, Daz...  :P

I'm game..........

I've been driving with my headlights on since the early eighties. Yes, it's a European thing, mainstreamed by Volvo. Bikers were doing it before that, Daylight Running lights were in my Vetter Windjammer fairing in 1980.
No matter what any Australian local beer guzzeling officials might think (well, something must have impaired their mental capacity), lights on does work and help get you noticed under most conditions during daylight hours, and certainly during adverse weather, dusk, etc. It's not geographically based.

DRL's have been on up-market cars for a few years now, and yes, when they first arrived it was occasionly seen as a "look at me" thing. Now that almost every new car has them it's hardley noticable. You get used to it very quickly.

Same thing with cornrering lights (again, they were on motorbikes in the 80's). Now they're standard on cars.

If it becomes law in Australia (hopefully Federal and not just State) then it does, and there's nothing "Ferrous Oxide Fixings" can do about it.

I'll leave the last word to you  :whistler:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Now that almost every new car has them it's hardley noticable. You get used to it very quickly.

:whistler:  :p

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Now that almost every new car has them it's hardley noticable. You get used to it very quickly.

:whistler:  :p

Yes Rusty, you get used to the light being on, meaning they don't annoy you (unless you want to be) but it certainly is much more difficult to notice an oncomming car without the DRL's, but how would you know when you don't live a place where they're mandatory.. :question:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal