i30 Owners Club

How do you keep your car clean?

Offline girmadness

• 2nd Gear
Loving my i30 - its had its first 1,000km service and on my 3rd tank of deisel.

So how does everyone keep their car clean?

Especially all you Aussies out their with water restrictions, how do you manage to keep it looking shiny and new? Without spending $$$$ getting someone to wash it.

How often does everyone wash and vaccum and all that stuff?

Do you clean it yourself at a DIY washing place or pay for someone to do it while you go shopping?

Really just curios is all.

Ps. Pictures will be up soonish - will be getting internet at home in a week or so. And i just found my computer cord to connect to the digital camera.

Offline bikejockey

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Gulp! It took 3 tanks of diesel for 1,000 km?  :lol:

My local paper (Canberra Times) mentioned a car cleaner/polish that didn't require any water - can't remember what it was called though. I'll try and find it. Probably leaves your car looking like it's been artexed.
  • i30 cw SX CRDI manual, Surly LHT

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Girmadness,

Your right, keeping cars clean can be hard with water restrictions. The days of washing a car wth a bucket and hose on the front lawn look numbered, at least here in Canberra where we have been on water restrictions for the best part of 5 years now. :D  wife never seems to notice though :(

Offline girmadness

• 2nd Gear
Quote from: "bikejockey"
Gulp! It took 3 tanks of diesel for 1,000 km?  :lol:

It's on it's 3rd tank at this moment.. but it was still on it's 2nd for the 1,000km service, haha.

If only i could click my fingers and it would be instantly clean. =)

Offline girmadness

• 2nd Gear
Quote from: "EymaTeapot"
Its nearly always is at its shiney best. :(

I'd notice if my partner washed it for me every week, i would DEFINATELY notice. Haha.

It just seems so rediculous that we have to spend $$ every time we want to wash our car and i always miss spots cause i'm rushing around to get it done before my time runs out.  :(

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Alas, here in the [Y]UK it's a completely different story  :oops:

Bought Fergie in March and religiously washed her each Sunday using a power washer and antacid shampoo (£2 per sachet). As time has progressed, and our [Y]UK weather deteriorates into a farce, I've been remiss and left her outside getting filthier and filthier.

You see, over here, it's summer. That means we get consistently cr@p weather. You can wash your car then go on a drive. Ten miles later it'll look like you've driven through a bucket of muddy slush. It plain ain't worth trying to keep it clean.

That said, I'm taking some time off work right now so I might just get the sponge out and give Fergie a right good going over. Hey, she might even stay shiny for a day or two, but I somehow doubt it
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
No need to wash as I let the RAIN keep my car clean.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline buddyforu

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Townsville, Australia
After owning my car for the 7 months, I am still yet to wash it using water. I posted the below in the 'other' i30 forum in March this year (edited slightly):

I decided to start using the 'Meguiar's Waterless System' which I bought from Super Cheap Auto for about $50. Its VERY easy to use, and the car comes up looking great without a scratch on it.

Inside I only use Meguiars 'Cloth and Trim Cleaner' with a micro fibre cloth to wipe the dash leather and trim down with, seems to keep it pretty clean so far. For the tyres I use Meguiars 'Hot Shine' tyre spray and for the windows Meguiars (again) 'NXT Glass Cleaner.

Oh and the car is ALWAYS under the house, under a car cover when she's resting (takes priority over my flatmates ute lol!).

I want to see how long I go before I have to give the car a 'real' wash with water...I'm loathe to do so thought as I KNOW I will scratch it...

I still use this system to this day. My car still looks fantastic, with none of the usual swirl marks etc. It's actually quite satisfying washing it this way!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Buddy, good to see you again m8 , and thanks for the tip on that waterless wash, it's the best i've seen i got some after your post love it m8!
cheers

Offline buddyforu

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Townsville, Australia

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
I haven't cleaned my car for months  :shock: Not that I'm a dirty boy, I never leave papers and other stuff in the car. There only dust and dirt on the floor.
I was planned to clean it today though  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
My poor little car gets used as a work horse. Carting 2nd had bricks and plants and stuff up to our block so it gets pretty dirty inside but I try to vacuum it every couple of weeks (Got a great mini plug in vacuum with a turbo brush built in)

The Eagle 1 (wax as you dry) seems to keep the outside looking shiny even when it's a bit dirty and the dirt comes off easier now when I wash it (again it's about every 10 - 14 days (more often than most of my previous cars)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline girmadness

• 2nd Gear
Quote from: "buddyforu"
I decided to start using the 'Meguiar's Waterless System' which I bought from Super Cheap Auto for about $50. Its VERY easy to use, and the car comes up looking great without a scratch on it.
I still use this system to this day.. My car still looks fantastic, with none of the usual swirl marks etc. It's actually quite satisfying washing it this way!

Wow, thats sounds great! Just what i was hoping might exsist. How long have the products lasted for if you dont mind me asking?

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
I'm always cleaning my i30  :?

Not because it's very dirty, it's because when it's sunny for days a thin layer of dust covers the car and if it rains a little the dusts gets more visible and I just hate to see all the dust tails all over the car, the timeframe to keep your car clean where I live is maybe 3-4 months a year and the rest is wet or snowing so its harder to keep it clean for long time.

I'll post some pics where I clean, and what I use  ;)

Offline bikejockey

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Watched an episode of the UK TV program 'Grand Designs' the other night. The presenter had a piece of board painted with something that used 'nano technlogy' -  he dipped it in a bucket of mud and the mud just ran off as he took it out of the bucket. Should be used on cars IMO.
  • i30 cw SX CRDI manual, Surly LHT

Offline buddyforu

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Townsville, Australia
Quote from: "girmadness"
Wow, thats sounds great! Just what i was hoping might exsist. How long have the products lasted for if you dont mind me asking?

The bottle that comes with the pack lasts about 5-6 washes. I'm still using the original cloths (microfibre) and the original duster. I've washed the cloths once or twice.

When the original waterless wash bottle runs out, you can buy 2ltr refills for about $20-$30. This would last for at least 20 washes. So it still works out to be miles cheaper than taking the car to an automated wash.

Like I said, the best thing about using the waterless wash along with the microfibre cloths is that the chance of actually scratching your car are quite slim. I'm yet to find any on mine!

I should also mention that I just wipe the alloys with a soft cloth (have never sprayed them with anything) and they still look brand new. The tyres I spray every second wash with Meguiars 'Hot Shine', looks fantastic! Recently I've bought Meguiars 'rich leather foam' cleaner as well, works a treat.

I still keep the car undercover as much as possible, preferably under a car cover as well.  :mrgreen:

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

Thankfully I can clean my car at work, I just take the big trucks out and I have all the space I need +all the water I need.

And I keep my stuff at the office 8-)

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

Here's a video of waterless cleaning, I think it's Australian video, at least sounds like it  ;)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Great vid. But as he said.. "useful only between regular suds washes" which kinda means you still need a regular water wash.

I'm not convinced. I see lots of scratches coming from that process

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Quote from: "Hemmi"
Here's a video of waterless cleaning, I think it's Australian video, at least sounds like it  :lol: .. Yep it's definately Australian.. ;)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Hi Folks

Mine gets a wash once a week or so and I have just spent the last three hours giving her her first proper polish since purchase.

1.  Hose down and clean alloys with Autoglym alloy wheel cleaner and brush.
2.  Shampoo wash with microfibre cloth and Autoglym Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo.
3.  Rinse with clean, cold water.
4.  Chamois.
5.  Dry microfibre.  (Thats the usual weekly bit done :lol:  :lol:

13.  Vacuum and dash / interior plastic polish with damp microfibre, buffed with dry microfibre.

She's looking gorgeous, I am so happy.

Cheers
Brian
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Jeebers Brian. Are you Hemmi in disguise?  :mrgreen:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Well we have both got the same body kit and wheels bit I think that's about it.

He gets to wash his one at work and uses his office as some form of polish store,  I had to wait till I got home :lol:

Actually despite the reputation,  Aberdeen and this corner of our island generally gets fairly reasonable weather so it is possible to sometimes lose the plot and go mental on the car for a few hours.

Brian
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Well there is water restrictions in force, but it has been pissing down rain here for half of yesturday and all night and it's still going, so my water tanks will be full, i've got these modern water tanks that hold 6,000Lt's and have a pump. can and do use the water for anything but drinking. have had the water tanks for about around ten years i think.
I also like that waterless wash that Buddy sings the praise of, it's good stuff. i have a vacume system built into the house so you just plug in a vacume hose to the wall and use it. but my Car is still dirty from the trip out west last weekend.
you upmarket boy's have all these sensors and climate controls to do just about everything, but you still are forced to clean the can :D  :mrgreen:
Cheers

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal