i30 Owners Club

My New 2012 i30 - First Impressions - Members Responses

AlanHo · 167 · 82549

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Valid point.
It's been very quiet over Easter though at the pub.  :confused:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Last evening I tested another feature of the car - the luggage compartment light is now on the left hand side and just as gloomy as the previous model. You DIY guys are going to change it to an LED display I am sure.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Last evening I tested another feature of the car - the luggage compartment light is now on the left hand side and just as gloomy as the previous model. You DIY guys are going to change it to an LED display I am sure.

Oh well, they have to leave something for us to do.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear
  • Perth, Western Australia

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Great report, and story too, Alan

My comments on the 2012 model:

1. The first time I saw pictures of it, the rear angle struck me as rather similar to the rear of the latest Focus. Not sure if it is just me. I don't mind at all, of course - both cars (Focus and '12 i30) look very sleek and fabulous. Just an observation.

2. The only thing that has turned me off of the 2012 i30 is the presence of a space saver tyre. I know from region to region the past models have varied between having a space saver spare and a full-size. Wonder if they'll continue to be inconsistent? I hope so for Oz, at least - what with all the wide open spaces.

Again, mate, fantastic report. Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions with us :)
  • 08 i30 CRDi SX Hatch in Mica Black

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

I now know how she feels when she moves all the furniture around in the lounge - I fail to notice her hard work - and she rightly accuses me of being like most men  - lost in my own little world and not being at all observant.

He-he. Loves the way you surprised her.  :goodjob2:

I allways get the same line about not noticing anything from my wife.  :disapp:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

2. The only thing that has turned me off of the 2012 i30 is the presence of a space saver tyre. I know from region to region the past models have varied between having a space saver spare and a full-size. Wonder if they'll continue to be inconsistent? I hope so for Oz, at least - what with all the wide open spaces.

It's probably different for you guys in Australia - but I am happy to have a space saver wheel. I know I am asking for trouble in saying this - but - I have not had a puncture for 20 years.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I know I am asking for trouble in saying this - but - I have not had a puncture for 20 years.

Fate.  Just watch you'll have one soon'ish..
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
What's all this chat doing here, I thought Mr Ho would have used his tools to clean this up by now  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think we have saved a copy of the Good Stuff elsewhere.. :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
It's probably different for you guys in Australia...but... I have not had a puncture for 20 years.

I think the tyre companies have an arrangement with tradesmen over here to scatter nails/sharp debris on the road.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It's probably different for you guys in Australia...but... I have not had a puncture for 20 years.

Me too Alan  :D

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Guess I should be living in Mt Barker, then!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The surrounding countryside is pretty, but the people, well that's another story.  :(

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

What's all this chat doing here, I thought Mr Ho would have used his tools to clean this up by now  :exclaim:

This thread is for all the members responses to the original one - which only has relevant data posted there - and is locked so only the mods can post and edit there.
This is to keep the technical data base clean of off topic stuff to make it easier for members, especially new ones, to refer to.

This is the original thread
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=14157.0

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes sir, (salute) Section Moderator Ho.  :D

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I have.
Over the past five years I would have had five go down on me.  :'(
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I don't quite know how to respond to that boast....................... :scared:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I have.

Scary mental images there.
 :whistler:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I'm totally shocked at you guys. What on earth are you thinking about?  :whistler:
I'm talking about tyres and punctures, as per the topic of this thread.  :D
And yes, in the past five years I would have had five punctures, but then I've done a lot of kms.
Before I got my i30, I was doing about 110-120,000 kms per year so I guess it's not too bad.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'm totally shocked at you guys. What on earth are you thinking about?  :whistler:
I'm talking about tyres and punctures, as per the topic of this thread.  :D
And yes, in the past five years I would have had five punctures, but then I've done a lot of kms.
Before I got my i30, I was doing about 110-120,000 kms per year so I guess it's not too bad.
Why are you shocked.
I'm a tyreman. It's scary to think of 5 flat tyres. :whistler: :happydance: :scared: :wink:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Thank you again for the article Alan.  Based upon your experience I am now SERIOUSLY considering moving my sat nav (which is the same make as yours) to the center and not having the tell tale sucker (in more ways than one) mark on the window.  The thought of glue gumming up the dash really did put me off.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Thank you again for the article Alan.  Based upon your experience I am now SERIOUSLY considering moving my sat nav (which is the same make as yours) to the center and not having the tell tale sucker (in more ways than one) mark on the window.  The thought of glue gumming up the dash really did put me off.

Here is an example   http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/2785766/art/tikoo/round-self-adhesive-fixat.html

or this one   http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-TomTom-Adhesive-Dash-Disks/dp/B001763SRI

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I have done some tests with the front parking sensors - I'm afraid that they fall short of my expectations.

There are just two sensors, one each side of the car on the angled section of the front bumper. Their sensitive area is a small fan shape at roughly 45o each side of the car. Hence the main width of the car at the front is blind and not protected

"ns"

"ns"

I am not sure what Hyundai intended with this arrangement because it has a very short range and a very limited area where it can detect obstructions.

I placed a large cardboard box on my drive in line with the detection area and then carefully inched the car slowly forward until the sounder beeped and a graphic appeared in the instrument display showing which corner of the car had been detected. At this point the car front was only 150 mm away from the box. As I inched further forward the sounder beeps increased in frequency until they were continuous at a point where the front was only 50 mm from the box face.  Had that have been a brick wall you are not all that far away from hitting it and damaging the car.

If you drive into a narrow gap – between parked cars for example - the sideways detection range is 350 mm and the beeper will sound continuously if the clearance between the side of your car and the obstruction is 350 mm or less.

When you reverse the car - the front and rear sensors are activated. This might help when you reverse out from between parked cars to prevent you from turning the front of the car too soon or too much.

Perhaps I will change my mind as I gather experience with the system - but at this moment in time I think it is ineffective and I will not be relying on it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Better than nothing Alan but could be better for sure  :confused:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

That's a shame Alan.
You don't think you're just being over sensor-tive?  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Better than nothing Alan but could be better for sure  :confused:

I have written to Hyundai UK Head Office to point out that to call these "Front Parking Sensors" is misleading and that I was expecting sensors that protected the front of the car - not just a very limited area to the side. I have asked them what they propose to do to resolve the problem.

My dealer was not able to throw any light on the subject because mine is the first Style model they have sold. They did show me an i40 today and that has sensors in exactly the same position as mine - but it also has two on the front - one each side of the number plate.

My guess is that a resolution is not too difficult - just drill the front section each side of the number plate, fit two extra sensors and connect them into the wiring for the existing ones.

We will see.

Going to the dealers today on the motorway - I noticed the trip economy figure falling quite steadily. It had been 56.1 mpg (5.0 L/100 km) but had fallen to 54.3 mpg (5.3 L/100 km) after about 5 miles and was still falling. This despite the fact the motorway had a restricted 60 mph limit. I switched to the instant display and it was showing roughly 35 mpg (8.1 L/100 km) even though I was cruising at about 55 mph in the heavy but free flowing traffic. It is a journey of 12 miles from home to dealers. There was nothing showing on the instruments and the car felt normal - but I suspected it was DPF regenerating. It was a new experience for me because I never ever had it happen on my previous i30.

When I alighted from the car at the dealers you could smell and almost feel the heat radiating from under the car. It's a wonder they don't catch fire.  The same thing happened on the way back home and I have no idea whether the DPF regeneration was completed or not. It knocked my trip average economy down to 52.2 mpg (5.5 L/100 km) by the time I got home.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 20:15:50 by AlanHo »

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

When I alighted from the car at the dealers you could smell and almost feel the heat radiating from under the car. It's a wonder they don't catch fire.  The same thing happened on the way back home and I have no idea whether the DPF regeneration was completed or not. It knocked my trip average economy down to 52.2 mpg (5.5 L/100 km) by the time I got home.

That's just the way I experience it with my car.

It is somewhat annoying that there's no indication, other than higher fuel consumption, to indicate when the DPF start and when regenerating is done  :disapp:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Does someone volunteer to trawl the european Golf, Astra and Focus forums to see if they have similar experiences.. :whistler:

I don't want to frequent them...but it would be interesting to know because these DPF things sound like a right pain...I would be devastated if I had achieved 6.1 LPH (as I did on our recent road trip only to see it go back up to say 6.4 or 6.5 after a short trip to work or something)  :disapp:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
DPF regeneration after only 280 miles too. I thought the interval would be much longer than that.

Because the display indicates which sensor is activated, it's probably not as simple as plugging in more sensors. Looks like they're only protecting the corner of the vehicle as you swing out from parking and clipping the car in front.  :neutral:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal