i30 Owners Club

My New 2012 i30 - First Impressions - Members Responses

AlanHo · 167 · 82542

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria

I tried to upload my phonebook to the Hybrid from my wildfire and it just hung there in limbo..
I couldn't get either my HTC Desire nor my Samsung Galaxy S2 phones to upload their phonebooks to my i30's radio. And a woman who bought an ix35, I think it was, had the same problem.

We both ended up manually entering a selected few numbers into our radios.

I didn't find it that important in the end. And probably a good thing too. Not wise to be dialing whilst driving. They say that it's bad enough to take hands free calls, let alone try to make them...
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Online AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

I tried to upload my phonebook to the Hybrid from my wildfire and it just hung there in limbo..
I couldn't get either my HTC Desire nor my Samsung Galaxy S2 phones to upload their phonebooks to my i30's radio. And a woman who bought an ix35, I think it was, had the same problem.

We both ended up manually entering a selected few numbers into our radios.

I didn't find it that important in the end. And probably a good thing too. Not wise to be dialing whilst driving. They say that it's bad enough to take hands free calls, let alone try to make them...

THe new 2012 i30 has voice activated bluetooth phone connection. Once you load your phone book - either manually or by direct link from a compatible phone - you just say "Phone Harry Smith" or whoever and it dials automatically. No buttons to push or the need to take your eyes off the road.

It really is impressive - but my Samsung phone will only transfer one number per contact - normally the mobile number.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
...you just say "Phone Harry Smith" or whoever and it dials automatically. No buttons to push or the need to take your eyes off the road.

:disapp:
still no "Throw mother in law out" function...
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
...you just say "Phone Harry Smith" or whoever and it dials automatically. No buttons to push or the need to take your eyes off the road.

Very good babis  :rofl:

Most phones now have a voice recognition mode you would think if it is connected via bluetooth just yelling this at your phone should do the same thing (if you have that function set)I must try it sometime  :idea:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Very good babis  :rofl:

Most phones now have a voice recognition mode you would think if it is connected via bluetooth just yelling this at your phone should do the same thing (if you have that function set)I must try it sometime  :idea:

Yes, try yelling HARRY SMITH and see what happens.
I don't know who Harry Smith is but he's going to be getting lots of calls from i30 owners.  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti

Online AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

This is an update on my saga over the front parking sensors I detailed in an earlier post.

There has been a series of 3 way phone calls and Emails between myself, the dealer and Hyundai UK head office. The bottom line is :-

*  The dealer cannot do anything about the problem because it is not acknowledged by Hyundai UK.

*  Hyundai UK claim that the sensors are working as intended by the Europe/Korea design Bureau.

*  I have carefully checked my sensors and find that when you place a solid and wide obstacle directly in front of them at 45 degrees to the car they have a maximum detection range of 48 cm and not 60 cm as claimed in the brochure and owners manual. The sensors are installed 36 cm back from the front of the car and 8 cm back from the side of the car, so that at no point directly forwards or sideways can they detect an obstacle at a range of even 48 cm let alone the claimed 60 cm. Hence I regard the advertising brochure and the Owner's Manual as significantly misleading.

But Hyundai maintain that the car is performing as designed and there is nothing more to be said. I have asked for their help in finding an aftermarket solution at my cost but they have ignored my plea.

However, undaunted, I have carried out a lot of research - you have lots of time to do this when retired. I have discovered that a UK company called Cobra manufacture aftermarket front and rear sensor kits for many car brands – including Hyundai. All their kits have at least 4 sensors front and back.

I have further discovered that Cobra supply a front sensor kit for the 2012 i30 to Hyundai UK for distribution to dealers as a dealer fitted option – but my dealership have no knowledge of this and are currently trying to track it down.

I have been able to obtain a copy of the Hyundai fitting instructions for this kit – not from a Hyundai dealer or from Cobra I hasten to point out – but from a third party. You can download it from here if you are interested :-

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=ee75171a36a29ec5&resid=EE75171A36A29EC5!179&parid=EE75171A36A29EC5!122

In the UK the Classic model does not have parking sensors – rear or front.
The Active model has just rear parking sensors as standard.
The Style model has rear parking sensors – and what they call front parking sensors as standard (but which do not protect the front of the car).

The car illustrated in this kit is the new Classic base model which has a different grill arrangement to the Active and Style models. Hence the dimensions shown for sensor drilling do not apply to my car or the Active model.

It therefore appears that if you buy the base model and opt for front parking sensors as an option you get a proper 4 sensor system – not the crippled 2 sensor version on my car.

I wrote today to Hyundai UK to advise them that I had discovered that they liaised with Cobra in February 2012 to produce a 4 sensor front parking kit for the 2012 i30 and it carries a Hyundai part number – asking why they had not advised me of this.

I will let you know when I get a reply – but don’t hold your breath.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Good luck, Alan.... :goodjob:

It appears Hyundai UK are no better than Hyundai Australia to deal with.....  :mad:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
It's been said before, but Hy HO is only there to control the dealerships and liaise with the factory. It's full of overpaid bean counters and department managers who haven't seen a shop floor for years. Alan's correspondence has probably been referred to a manager accountant who doesn't even know the difference between a 2 or 4 sensor system. :(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

And his name would be either Arthur or Martha.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Online AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

What is interesting is that at the Silverstone pre launch event in February, I met 3 senior managers of Hyundai UK head office, the Customer Services Manager, the i30 Product Manager and the Customer Relations Manager. They were all nice young women but did not impress me. The i30 Product manager knew less about the car than I did.

3 months have now gone by and during my recent foray with Hyundai I have discovered that all these people no longer work for Hyundai.

Hence I am not sure who I am now dealing with. No wonder I am now "sensortive"............. :evil:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

3 months have now gone by and during my recent foray with Hyundai I have discovered that all these people no longer work for Hyundai.

:Shocked: Wow that was a quick turnaround ...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
What is interesting is that at the Silverstone pre launch event in February, I met 3 senior managers of Hyundai UK head office, the Customer Services Manager, the i30 Product Manager and the Customer Relations Manager. They were all nice young women but did not impress me. The i30 Product manager knew less about the car than I did.

Hence I am not sure who I am now dealing with. No wonder I am now "sensortive"............. :evil:

QED  :fum:

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Alan, if something is not performing as intended or as advertised don't you have recourse via a consumer affairs department or something?
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Online AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Alan, if something is not performing as intended or as advertised don't you have recourse via a consumer affairs department or something?

Yes - I could refer the matter to Trading Standards and may well do that later if my present course of action fails to produce a satisfactory result.

As you might expect, Hyundai UK monitor this forum so I have yet to post everything here.  I have given them enough to read as it is.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
While I am happy with my cars, the ability of the Golf to park itself hands free should be an embarrassment to Hyundai. It's obvious the sensors can't be trusted.  :fum:

Online AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

While I am happy with my cars, the ability of the Golf to park itself hands free should be an embarrassment to Hyundai. It's obvious the sensors can't be trusted.  :fum:

Like with the golf and Focus - self parking is an expensive optional extra on the new i30.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Do you know what is different between yours and SPS.  :question:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
what a gimmick,if you cant park a car using your driving skills, you shouldn't be driving a car at all. IMO.  :neutral:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Online AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Do you know what is different between yours and SPS.  :question:

I have not tried one - but my understanding of the self parking system is that you drive slowly past a gap between two cars. Stop alongside the front car, start the self park system, put the car into reverse and slowly reverse the car.  The SPS operates the steering and guides the car into a perfect parallel parking position. If the gap is too small the system lets you know before you attempt the manouvre.

My car simply has sensors which warn when the car approaches an obstacle. Parking is entirely a driver controlled affair.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes, I realise that, I meant the hardware differences  :neutral:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

what a gimmick,if you cant park a car using your driving skills, you shouldn't be driving a car at all. IMO.  :neutral:

:rofl: :rofl: You sound like my dad.  :lol:
Radio? What do you want a radio in a car for? If you can't drive a car without a radio you shouldn't be driving a car at all.  ;)
  • Tertius the i30

Online AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Yes, I realise that, I meant the hardware differences  :neutral:

I don't think there will be any difference - in fact you have unwittingly triggered a thought in my mind for which I thank you.... :goodjob:.

If you have seen my recent posts you will be aware that I am complaining that the front parking sensors on my car do not cover the front of the car - but the front corners and sides. Thinking about it - that is exactly what an SPS would need to let the steering know when it is safe to swing the car into the gap.

Thanks for your question - I now know why they can offer SPS on just the Style model - it is the only one with sensors in the required position on the front quarters. The SPS option would then be a simple matter of waking up some CPU software to control the electric steering and the instrument display - no additional hardware required.

Hyundai UK here I come...................... :evil:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes Alan, this is where I was headed, could it be, that yours has not been set up correctly  :question:

Online AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Yes Alan, this is where I was headed, could it be, that yours has not been set up correctly  :question:

No - my car was not supplied with self parking. It is an option that will be offered later this year. If it comes as a dealer fit there is I suppose a chance that I could have it added (Just to help my wife when she uses the car you understand)  :whistler:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I realise that too, but it seems that there are a myriad of settings, halo, lights etc. If the sensor hardware is the same, how can the car range from being basically shortsighted, to intelligent enough to park itself with the same sensor setup :question:

Online AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I realise that too, but it seems that there are a myriad of settings, halo, lights etc. If the sensor hardware is the same, how can the car range from being basically shortsighted, to intelligent enough to park itself with the same sensor setup :question:

The rear sensors are fine and can detect to the rear and partly to the side with a range of about 150 cms. The front sensors are in the right position for an SPS but on my car have a limited range. I suspect that the range is tuned down to prevent you from keep getting alarms in traffic queues and could be switched to full "power" when the SPS is activated.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
To go back to the voice activated Bluetooth issue, I too had difficulties using the HTC with the ix20, which is like a half voice activated solution, you need to press the button on the wheel but then everything is voice after that.

The iPhone however works perfectly, it's a bit odd saying call Paterson, Kim as that is how the names are stored, but reassuring to then be asked by the system if you want to call her at home, work or mobile.  Works very well.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Online AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Returning to the subject of "when are front parking sensors not parking sensors" I have been looking again at the superb photos Seoul Mate posts in his picture threads. In threads "Korean Pics 234 and 235" the majority of the photos are for the new i30 - and some of those are the Top of the range version with front parking sensors.

Where the front bumper is visible in the photos and it is the top model, you can clearly see that the car is equipped with 6 sensors at the front end - so it adds fuel to my fire when I complain that my car only has 2.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 22:50:26 by AlanHo »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal