i30 Owners Club

"Gel" Blocked Fuel Filters

Mike SX · 38 · 10099

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I see they added a picture of an unleaded petrol pump rather than a proper diesel pump... Just to confuse some people!

Boy I'm glad I don't drive diesel anymore...
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
poor pom's, come to Australia for warmth & cold beer free flowing gel diesel. no problems at all, just you might be at risk from snakes & spiders.
you would think the industrial Chemists would have thought of that. hope you don't have trouble.
Keith you need to say nice things about diesel  :rofl:
cheers

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
poor pom's, come to Australia for warmth & cold beer free flowing gel diesel. no problems at all, just you might be at risk from snakes & spiders.
you would think the industrial Chemists would have thought of that. hope you don't have trouble.
cheers

Get naturalized and join the winning Test cricket country, too. :lol:

So you add bio and then don't test it under cold conditions, that's really intelligent.  :disapp: :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
cheers

So you add bio and then don't test it under cold conditions, that's really intelligent.  :disapp: :fum:

Phil, you can never get Pom's to become naturalised Aussies, LOL they think they will be ex con's LOL.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :lol:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

cheers

Phil, you can never get Pom's to become naturalised Aussies, LOL they think they will be ex con's LOL.

Tew royt mayt!

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
See your practicing to be a KIWI Keith,make sure you wear your gum boots  :whistler:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

See your practicing to be a KIWI Keith,make sure you wear your gum boots  :whistler:
:rofl:

It's often said we don't see (or hear) ourselves the way others do Rick!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
 :rofl: Rick & Keith,
how do you know when a Kiwi has been in your fridge?

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Knowing a Kiwi...there would be love bites on the leg of lamb....... :snigger:

Then there was the one about the guy who walked into the bar followed by 10 very very small people.
He helps them up onto bar stools and says "I'll have 11 beers thanks barmen"
barman replies "whats with the midgets"
"The're not midgets, there kiwis with all the bullshit squeezed out"

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
What do you call a kiwi with a sheep under each arm?
 A pimp .....  :snigger:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Why would you not assume him to be a shepherd?............... :workitout:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Why would you not assume him to be a shepherd?............... :workitout:

In En zed, that's just a cover Allan .
i think we have more Kiwi's out here in Australia than they have in en zed, we have more sheep too LOL

Offline jupitersj

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      New Jersey

• 2015 Subaru WRX Limited 2.0L T FA20DIT 6-speed MT

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
lovely........can't wait till they come into season.....

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Erm... Back on topic...

Winter phase take a look at the garage you bought the diesel from and it's sales volumes.
Apparently gelling is a known phenomena with all bio fuels if kept for >90 days, it seems it starts gelling in the garage storage tank...

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Erm... Back on topic...
Winter phase take a look at the garage you bought the diesel from and it's sales volumes.
Apparently gelling is a known phenomena with all bio fuels if kept for >90 days, it seems it starts gelling in the garage storage tank...

But Keith, I've not had a problem with "Gelled Diesel", just thought I would bring attention to a possible problem for others.

At an Essex Oil Refinery (a few years ago) excessive ethanol was inadvertently added to diesel fuel, this caused massive fuel (gelling) problems for vehicles; never publicly admitted.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Yea fair play, but my reply is also a warning about the time a garage has diesel in storage and also about diesel owners who don't do many miles.

Both carry a strong risk of gelling as described even without any additive mistakes at the refinery / blenders.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Yea fair play, but my reply is also a warning about the time a garage has diesel in storage and also about diesel owners who don't do many miles.
Both carry a strong risk of gelling as described even without any additive mistakes at the refinery / blenders.

Absolutely, and beware the forecourt that has had compressed air jack hammers used nearby (to break up concrete etc) - vibrations through the ground can create cracks in tanks, when fuel is low water can seep in.....and vicky virkay.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
All valid point's, but as far as i know, the diesel i use is not Bio & the petrol i use in my MC does not contain ethanol.
as far as i know they put a sign up what diesel is bio & what petrol contains ethanole. we mostly have e10 that's 10%, but the V8 super cars use i think 100% i think we can buy 85% in some servo's here but i don't remember ever seeing a bowser with a sign saying e85.
also a friend told me he has never put diesel into his Vito van he gets used cooking oil from around the city & bondi, then filters it puts it in the tank & it runs, but he does not drive big k's or keep these vito van's for a long time, keeps buying new ones.

Hey Keith was reading the motoring section of the paper the other day & we now do have that little Ford like you have, looks like great power to weight, they said no spare tyre just a repair kit, out here it's classed as a city car. i'll see if i can get into a Ford dealer to test one. i'll get a nudge bar made to mount a spare tyre wheel on front  :rofl:
cheers

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
John, V8 Suoercars are using E85.
So, 15% Ethanol.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Lakes (John) I simply requested a spare and was given one with a jack and everything I need. I insisted I wasn't interested in having any car with just a tin of goo!

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
Is new clean diesel putting drivers at risk? | Mail Online

It's not the only type of problem which could be caused by bio-diesel.

The 'bio' part of the diesel also does evaporate much slower out of the motor oil, so the thinning of the motor oil gets worse. They made some tests in Germany and found out that in some diesel vehicles that amount of diesel in the oil was higher than 20%. Of course this lowers the lubrication and leads to higher engine wear.
(The DPF is alslo a factor that leads to more thinning of the oil, but only in some engine types.)

So I'm not unhappy that diesel in Switzerland doesn't contain this EU bio part.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Is new clean diesel putting drivers at risk? | Mail Online

It's not the only type of problem which could be caused by bio-diesel.

The 'bio' part of the diesel also does evaporate much slower out of the motor oil, so the thinning of the motor oil gets worse. They made some tests in Germany and found out that in some diesel vehicles that amount of diesel in the oil was higher than 20%. Of course this lowers the lubrication and leads to higher engine wear.
(The DPF is alslo a factor that leads to more thinning of the oil, but only in some engine types.)

So I'm not unhappy that diesel in Switzerland doesn't contain this EU bio part.

Thanks peon2t , what about the fact my i30 u2 1.6 CRDi has the exhaust gas's recirculate, i'm thinking that will have an effect on my oil too. i'm using Mobile one 0w40w hope this oil can handle it as i leave it the full 15k between services.

Trev i was like FB in be leaving the e10 meant 10% & e85 meant 85%, i think with 85% it is virtually the same as Alky or methanol like they use in most speedway cars & some class's of race boats & race cars. & nitro burners, but nitro they have to test fuel mix them self as it's not as simple to mix as say put so many litre of meth then so many litre of nitro then work out % , they work it out via a test sample of the mix in a test tube with a special marked thermometer .
meth runs cool, just normal air fuel ratio for meth is around 9 , &  for petrol it is around 13 ( this does not mean that's exact air fuel ratio some motors would be set much leaner like 14, but you would not run them at wide open throttle for say an hour running at leaner than 14, i would probably not go leaner than 13.7 myself
anyway just trying to explain i would expect running ethanol in 85% you would use more fuel, so hope the price is right too.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
E85 is commonly available in Brazil, less so in Australia. I believe it WON'T work in standard petrol engines unless they are built for it. Some O/S cars are compatible.

@Lakes

Regarding cooking oil, not a good idea at all. They may run, but AFAIK, you're supposed to process the oil first, otherwise you'll end up with dark glazed deposits, similar to an old frypan inside your engine. Not good.  :fum:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
E85 is commonly available in Brazil, less so in Australia. I believe it WON'T work in standard petrol engines unless they are built for it. Some O/S cars are compatible.

@Lakes

Regarding cooking oil, not a good idea at all. They may run, but AFAIK, you're supposed to process the oil first, otherwise you'll end up with dark glazed deposits, similar to an old frypan inside your engine. Not good.  :fum:

Phil i agree about cooking oil but this guy said thats all he uses & does not drive far or keep the van's long, he only keeps them to take his motor bike around & only rides that a short distance too. i don't try to work this guy out LOL.

i was not aware of Brazil using e85 but about 15 years back a guy i talked to online lived in Brazil, told me they used i think sugar based fuel said it was crap he had lots of troubles as he worked on Motor bikes & most all used a carb, told me if he told me the jet sizes he used just to get them to run right, i would get a shock. but i used Methanole in Go Karts i raced a long time ago so had experience with carbs runing meth, can't leave it in motor as gels up, had to run petrol through motor after you finished racing.
only good things about it are it does not carbon up, you look inside motor & they look like new no carbon build up, it also runs cool.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal