"Cash Back" Scam

Mike SX · 37 · 8575

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Received this email from a colleague :-

Bought a lot of items (over £150) looked at the receipt and saw a cash-back of £40, told the Cashier that I hadn't requested a cash back & to delete it. She said I'd have to take the £40 because she couldn't delete it. I told her to call a Supervisor who came & said I'd have to take it.. I said NO! Taking the £40 would be a cash advance against my Credit card & I wasn't paying interest on a cash advance!. If they couldn't delete it then they would have to delete the whole order. So the Supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order & re-scan everything. The second time I looked at the electronic pad before I signed & a cash-back of £20 popped up. At that point I told the cashier & she deleted it. The total came out right. The cashier said that the Electronic Pad must be defective.
Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad was defective because she NEVER offered me the £40 at the beginning. Can you imagine how many people went through before me & at the end of her shift how much money she pocketed?

At Sainsbury’s last week, the cashier hurried a colleague along and didn't give her a receipt. She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her. She didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for £20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH BACK!

She called Sainsbury’s who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money. She then called her niece who works for the bank and her niece told her this. This is a new scam going on. The cashier will key in that you asked for cash back and then hand it to her friend who is the next person in the queue.

Please check your receipts right away when using credit or debit cards!
 This is NOT limited to Sainsbury’s; they are one of the largest retailers so they have the most incidents.
 I am adding to this. My husband and I were in Sainsbury’s and paying with credit card when my husband went to sign the credit card signer he just happen to notice there was a £20 cash back added. He told the cashier that he did not ask nor want cash back and she said this machine has been messing up and she cancelled it. We really didn't think anything of it until we read this email.

I wonder how many "seniors" have been, or will be, "stung" by this one????

To make matters worse - THIS SCAM CAN BE DONE ANYWHERE, AT ANY RETAIL OR WHOLESALE LOCATION.
BEFORE LEAVING THE CHECK-OUT........CHECK YOUR RECEIPT.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Think we've reported on this before...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid: But can't be reminded enough of this risk...  :fum:

Thanks Mike ..  :goodjob:

Over here, Woolworths encourage you not to have a receipt (you pretty much have to ask for one!) :wacko: :wacko: :head_butt:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Paywave, the latest convenience to be added to credit cards, cashback using that, it's already done, no signature required.  :fum: :fum: :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

I looked, but could not find anything very similar :)

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Over here, Woolworths encourage you not to have a receipt (you pretty much have to ask for one!) :wacko: :wacko: :head_butt:
Several shops do the same here, especially under £5.00 (Co-oP, WH Smith & "The Multiples).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It was a while back and Surprise, Surprise, think it might have been as the result of a thread drift...  :whistler:

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

It was a while back and Surprise, Surprise, think it might have been as the result of a thread drift...  :whistler:

Ok  :Ouch:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yeah. It's been on before.
I know I'm old fashioned but I ALWAYS insist on a receipt. Some of the service stations ask if you want it too.
However, I never pay for groceries with a credit card. Cash only.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
But, but, the reward points.  :idea:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
But, but, the reward points.  :idea:
We use a Fly Buys card at Coles. Apart from that, to hell with the points. :P
However, over the years we've scored plenty of good stuff from Fly Buys points.  :goodjob:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I bought my gps with points and 3 x $100 gift cards for my family. My purchase cost the same with, or without, so why not.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I bought my gps with points and 3 x $100 gift cards for my family. My purchase cost the same with, or without, so why not.

Jeepers (must be a fancy one!) My current Garmin GPS with lifetime maps cost $76.50!  :rofl:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Jeepers (must be a fancy one!) My current Garmin GPS with lifetime maps cost $76.50!  :rofl:

2 separate transactions, Dazz

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

O.I.C.  :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Unfortunately, reward points and fuel vouchers are a catch22 situation. Products we all buy,are dearer because of these schemes, but should the purchaser decline to be involved, then the product price remains the same and the reward points forfeited. If only EVERYONE would decline these things, the we would be able to knock the ever growing monopolies a little. They just keep getting stronger and stronger, but to opt out, is to choose to be singularly disadvantaged.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Every time I have asked for cashback I always have had  to initial the amount on the  cashier part of till receipt.  This provides proof that it was requested and taken.  My local Sainsbury, Lidl. Aldi and Tesco  all use this system.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
 i like to use real money, so if that came up it would not matter as paying with the real thing not plastic. oh forgot :-[ we use plastic money here.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Received this email from a colleague :-

Bought a lot of items (over £150) looked at the receipt and saw a cash-back of £40, told the Cashier that I hadn't requested a cash back & to delete it. She said I'd have to take the £40 because she couldn't delete it. I told her to call a Supervisor who came & said I'd have to take it.. I said NO! Taking the £40 would be a cash advance against my Credit card & I wasn't paying interest on a cash advance!. If they couldn't delete it then they would have to delete the whole order. So the Supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order & re-scan everything. The second time I looked at the electronic pad before I signed & a cash-back of £20 popped up. At that point I told the cashier & she deleted it. The total came out right. The cashier said that the Electronic Pad must be defective.
Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad was defective because she NEVER offered me the £40 at the beginning. Can you imagine how many people went through before me & at the end of her shift how much money she pocketed?

At Sainsbury’s last week, the cashier hurried a colleague along and didn't give her a receipt. She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her. She didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for £20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH BACK!

She called Sainsbury’s who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money. She then called her niece who works for the bank and her niece told her this. This is a new scam going on. The cashier will key in that you asked for cash back and then hand it to her friend who is the next person in the queue.

Please check your receipts right away when using credit or debit cards!
 This is NOT limited to Sainsbury’s; they are one of the largest retailers so they have the most incidents.
 I am adding to this. My husband and I were in Sainsbury’s and paying with credit card when my husband went to sign the credit card signer he just happen to notice there was a £20 cash back added. He told the cashier that he did not ask nor want cash back and she said this machine has been messing up and she cancelled it. We really didn't think anything of it until we read this email.

I wonder how many "seniors" have been, or will be, "stung" by this one????

To make matters worse - THIS SCAM CAN BE DONE ANYWHERE, AT ANY RETAIL OR WHOLESALE LOCATION.
BEFORE LEAVING THE CHECK-OUT........CHECK YOUR RECEIPT.

It's FAKE :-

Check Your Receipts - Cash Back Scam Warning Email

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Must have been a fake when first reported on here then  :D

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
I thought there was something odd about this tale when I first read it because I've never had a credit card which I could get cashback on, even though I've had lots of different types over the last 40 years.  If I want cashback I have to proffer my debit card.

I was once nearly diddled though, asked for cashback at local Booths supermarket than foolishly wandered off without the money, only realising when I'd left the doors. Doh.   Went back to the cashier and she had the money readily available - didn't need to open the till. Odd I thought, never saw her again. Was a very pretty girl which may be what distracted me in the first place.  :mrgreen:

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

I was once nearly diddled though, Was a very pretty girl which may be what distracted me in the first place.  :mrgreen:
:happydance: Such a short distraction time as well.
Often mine run into years  :lol:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
In sainsbury's earlier and was watching to see if any punters paid by card.

Didn't see any so can't confirm scam
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Hoax Slayer may report it as a Fake - but it still remains feasible & a possibility.
Better safe than sorry  :)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Hoax Slayer may report it as a Fake - but it still remains feasible & a possibility.

Mike, it's feasible that Lester will start posting FUNNY gags.   We all know it's never gonna happen tho  :harhar: :harhar: :tease: :argh:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I totally agree MIke, it pays to be vigilant! The exact scenario as described in your original post may not be feasible but some similar ones certainly are..

When I was managing a Wall and Floor tile shop, I had a staff member who was crediting customer refunds to his own bank account! Didn't get picked up for quite a while as many customers didn't check their accounts very thoroughly! 

@ ASA .. I agree with part of your post (the bit about Lester)  :rofl: :goodjob:

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Mike, it's feasible that Lester will start posting FUNNY gags.   We all know it's never gonna happen tho  :harhar: :harhar: :tease: :argh:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :eek:

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

When I was managing a Wall and Floor tile shop, I had a staff member who was crediting customer refunds to his own bank account! Didn't get picked up for quite a while as many customers didn't check their accounts very thoroughly! 
What about the fiddle when, say a Builder, shows you an Invoice (for what he has supposedly paid) yet does not show you the separate Credit Note for his "additional" discount.
Or the end of year turnover rebate  :)
That's apart from the negotiated % profit that he had previously agreed with you.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

What about the fiddle when, say a Builder, shows you an Invoice (for what he has supposedly paid) yet does not show you the separate Credit Note for his "additional" discount.
Or the end of year turnover rebate  :)
That's apart from the negotiated % profit that he had previously agreed with you.

Yes, exactly.. Although in these cases the refund was backed out against the original invoice (e.g. system genrated credit note) so the internal paperwork was ok and the stock balanced up.

He just substituted his card in the Eftpos machine somehow... This was about 8 or 9 years ago (you have to enter your pin for refunds now)  The Bank actually picked it up 1st (multiple refunds to the same account) The guy had a gambling problem amongst others...  :Pout:

Some of the dodgy co-workers I have had would make my hair curl (if I had enough!) :snigger:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Dazz another reason i like cash & cash refund bugger banks.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal