i30 Owners Club

"Cash Back" Scam

Mike SX · 37 · 8574

Offline Flyyte

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Cumbria

• 47b Hadrian's Wall, Cumbria, England
The problem with all these warnings is that they're most often a report of someone else's experience. The individual passing on the warning may indeed believe the alert to be genuine. . . but then when it's tracked back (if it's tracked back) it turns out that the friend who sent the warning was actually a friend of another friend to whom it (whatever it might be) happened to. Over the years I've gotten sick weary and tired of my inbox being cluttered with crap from people telling me 'Microsoft says this' and 'Kaspersky has verified that' when you know for a fact that microsoft never says anything, ever, and that Kaspersky's info certainly wouldn't figure within the world of the individual seemingly responsible for the original email. As to the cashback 'scam', I have never, ever, at any time, anywhere, been asked if I would like cashback and then had it added into the bill without me knowing. It's perfectly obvious that if I went home, and saw the cashback payment there, I'd be back onto the store immediately. So would anyone. All grocery store chains are alive to possible staff abuse which is why cashback slips **have to be signed by the recipient.** What's tragic about the false-flagging of scams is that they have the potential to make folks blase about real scams: I can remember the first Cryptolocker victims, and how many folks said ah, it's just another email hoax doing the rounds . . .

Gotta dash. A neighbour tells me a colleague has a relative who has a friend who has a neighbour who has just returned from a disastrous holiday in France with his deceased grandma tied to the roofrack of his i30 Tourer. Not sure why I need to know but he thought I might wish to be alert to the overloading of vehicles with extinct seniors. Well, er, yeah: I am. I brought back an entire party of deceased pensioners in the boot of mine.
  • i30 Estate Premium Diesel 112PS 2010 model

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
It's good to get these things off your chest, cathartic, now go and lie down in a darkened room a repeat 'KALM'  a million times n you'll feel great again    :victory: :victory: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I agree 80% Flyyte... Unfortunately similar things to those outlined do happen, and believe it or not a lot of people don't check their slips or bank accounts..(I have had 20 years in Banking and another 20 in retail, with multiple years as a Manager in both)

Some stores down here are only now starting to get you to sign to acknowledge receipt of your cash back!  :eek:

I really dislike the trend (particularly Woolworths and some discount stores) of not giving you a docket unless you ask for one.. :fum:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I think Woolworths have to give a receipt if the total is over $30, they should ask if it is under (they do down here).

Flyyte, let us know what happened, I don't want the same to happen to my colleague's relative's friend's neighbour's aunty's dog. I'll draft up an email with an official looking letterhead to let others know.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I've NEVER been asked to sign a receipt when I've asked for cash back.  :undecided:

@ FatBoy:  I'd be really interested to hear what happened to your colleague's relative's friend's neighbour's aunty's dog.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Flyyte

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Cumbria

• 47b Hadrian's Wall, Cumbria, England
@ asathorny: I know I haven't posted in a while due to a virus transmitted in a clickable link which takes over your entire body and transports you to Mars (don't worry if you haven't heard of this threat, I'll be circulating 10 million emailed warnings later today) but that doesn't mean my name has changed. I am definitely not called Cathartic. Also, if I was to lie back and repeat the word KALM a million times it would achieve the exact opposite of your kind intention, it being a reminder of the chappie who founded the Dixons-PC World-Currys-Pixmania Death Star. :scared:

@ dazzler: Agreed. These things do happen. But never at the frequency or intensity of the hoaxes circulated on the World Wide Scare.

@ fatboy: I think Woolworths should introduce that policy here in the UK. Actually, I think Woolworths should be introduced to the UK. It was taken away by a gang of Roumanians, of whom there are now 28 million in the UK (I know, because a colleague's friend's second cousin has counted them.) As to the transportable dead grandma problem, I'm appalled to discover that Hyundai -- at least in the UK -- excludes this from its warranty cover, despite being well aware that for at least the past 40 years, accounts of deceased relatives touring the country on roof racks have been verified time and again. That said, it may well be that your colleague's relative's friend's neighbour's aunty's dog has nothing to worry about if a Kia warranty is involved because that's more comprehensive than Hyundai's. PS: can you really draft an official-looking letterhead? It's about time the Institute of Practising Paranoids had its own literature.  ;)
  • i30 Estate Premium Diesel 112PS 2010 model

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal