i30 Owners Club

$415 fine for Hyundai towbar and ball obscuring numberplate

Paolo5 · 60 · 15583

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

............I literally see hundreds if not thousands of cars a week,with towbars obstructing or partially obscuring their plates,I'm with Phil(revenue raising) ....................

You seem to be countering your own argument.

If it WAS just a revenue raising exercise all the  thousands of cars with obscured plates should be manna from heaven.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
They're a bit stricter over here with No.plates. Lettering as to be to a certain height and spacing between them. front plates have to have black lettering on white reflective background, rears black on yellow and all have to have a kite mark and the plate itself as to be the right dimension but you have a option if you want a uk or eu symbol 

The ones on my beemer where illegal because the lettering was in italic

http://tinyurl.com/qhfknan  UK plate specification

There is no specific dimension for the plate size other than the dimensions and spacing of the characters  and the margins will give a minimum size.  If you could afford A1 the plate could be just 97mm long x 72mm high

My plate includes 11 so is 122mm shorter than one with a  GB and numbers other than 1.                  :cool:

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
baradeur said "There is no specific dimension for the plate size"

Baraduer, that may well be the case in the UK and Eu but not in Oz.

For your information, here in Oz the purpose of penalties is to deter potential lawbreakers and slap the knuckles of those few who break the law, it is not, and never has been, to provide revenue for the Government. The real fact is that in Queensland most who complain about fines, excessive or otherwise, represent a very small percentage of licensed drivers. The last time I saw the stats near 96% of Queensland drivers had no record of any traffic offence. Our Policing efforts therefore target just 4% of drivers who are the ones who bitch about their penalties. The other 96% are happy that Police are trying to make our roads safer for them and others who use our roads.
Take a look at this newspaper report of an accident on New Years Day

:link: Bundaberg's horror fatal the state's first for 2015 | Bundaberg NewsMail

then you may appreciate why our Police try so hard to stop lawbreakers. When all the facts of this tragic accident are made known to all, then perhaps the 4% lawbreakers will stop breaking the law, but I doubt it.
When innocent decent law abiding people (husband, parent, grandparent and respected members of our community) loose their life because of irresponsible lawbreakers then I say "throw the book at the lawbreakers"

I give no time to those who may say "the police should not impose heavy fines on those who want to remain unknown and hide their number plates" or "they only do it for revenue"  Thats all BS. The poor chap that died would no doubt agree with me but he cannot do that now

• i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
baradeur said "There is no specific dimension for the plate size"

Baraduer, that may well be the case in the UK and Eu but not in Oz.

For your information, here in Oz the purpose of penalties is to deter potential lawbreakers and slap the knuckles of those few who break the law, it is not, and never has been, to provide revenue for the Government. The real fact is that in Queensland most who complain about fines, excessive or otherwise, represent a very small percentage of licensed drivers. The last time I saw the stats near 96% of Queensland drivers had no record of any traffic offence. Our Policing efforts therefore target just 4% of drivers who are the ones who bitch about their penalties. The other 96% are happy that Police are trying to make our roads safer for them and others who use our roads.
Take a look at this newspaper report of an accident on New Years Day

:link: Bundaberg's horror fatal the state's first for 2015 | Bundaberg NewsMail

then you may appreciate why our Police try so hard to stop lawbreakers. When all the facts of this tragic accident are made known to all, then perhaps the 4% lawbreakers will stop breaking the law, but I doubt it.
When innocent decent law abiding people (husband, parent, grandparent and respected members of our community) loose their life because of irresponsible lawbreakers then I say "throw the book at the lawbreakers"

I give no time to those who may say "the police should not impose heavy fines on those who want to remain unknown and hide their number plates" or "they only do it for revenue"  Thats all BS. The poor chap that died would no doubt agree with me but he cannot do that now

Wow steady!  What warranted that as we are on the same hymn sheet.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@baradeur giving details on license plate specs in the UK doesn't have much to do with the topic at hand here which is an Australian based issue and our regulations/laws and sizing are different to the UK.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
@baradeur giving details on license plate specs in the UK doesn't have much to do with the topic at hand here which is an Australian based issue and our regulations/laws and sizing are different to the UK.

:-[  :-[   sorry

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
This just shows why there should be a world wide "rule book" for plate size, format etc as the space allocated on a car/vehicle model is the same wherever that car/vehicle is sold.

They don't alter  the place if the car is sold in oz, uk, usa, russia etc as the body shape and accessory shapes is the same world wide, isn't it.....
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
This just shows why there should be a world wide "rule book" for plate size, format etc as the space allocated on a car/vehicle model is the same wherever that car/vehicle is sold.

We can't get agreement between our states and territories, so no chance of a world wide agreement, especially with the EU in existence. If they tried to tell us what to do, we'd tell them where to go.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I reckon the bloke must have missed out on a root the night before ...
:rofl:
Don't ever leave us, Rick. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Here in Queensland its pretty clear whats required:

Items blocking your number plate

If you have a tow bar on your vehicle that blocks the view of your rear number plate, remove it when you’re not using it. If your vehicle’s tray is in the way, move your number plate to where it can be seen easily.

A registered trailer is allowed to block the view of your vehicle’s number plates if the trailer’s plates are visible.

Accessory plates

If a bicycle rack or other accessory blocks the view of your number plate, you will need to order an accessory plate.

An accessory plate is attached to a bike rack for example, to make your registration number visible from the required distance.

The bike rack accessory plate is a gotcha though.

:link: Replacing or changing a number plate | Transport and motoring | Queensland Government
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
An update....

In NSW it is a $415 fine PLUS 3 demerit points.

Whenever I see an offending car with driver parked I let him/her know what they are risking. Each one of them has been genuinely surprised and extremely thankful for the information.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nice work Paolo! Your $415 fine might bring you a knighthood in the long run!  :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Whenever I see an offending car with driver parked I let him/her know what they are risking. Each one of them has been genuinely surprised and extremely thankful for the information.

Likely to get a minimum of a very rude comment and a one finger salute here in the UK.

I gave up telling people that they had a rear light/indicator not working years ago.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Likely to get a minimum of a very rude comment and a one finger salute here in the UK.

I gave up telling people that they had a rear light/indicator not working years ago.
It shouldn't be a problem unless you're notifying them with a smartarse attitude :undecided:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^
Just like trying to tell people they shouldn't have their fog lights on if it's not foggy.

Most of 'em don't even know they've got fog lights, let  alone how to turn them on or off.  :disapp:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Most of 'em don't even know they've got fog lights, let  alone how to turn them on or off.  :disapp:

Funny you should say that, I was only thinking the other day I must work out whether my other lights on the calais are driving or fog lights (and how to turn them on)!  :-[

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Funny you should say that, I was only thinking the other day I must work out whether my other lights on the calais are driving or fog lights (and how to turn them on)!  :-[
If they're down low, they're fog lights.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If they're down low, they're fog lights.

I kind of suspected they were..  :goodjob: I was just hopeful they might have been driving lights...  :happydance:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
From the Holden page, Dazz, the Calais V has both Fog Lamps and DRLs.  The DRLs should switch off when you turn any light on.

:link: Holden Commodore Calais-V - Specs, Accessories & Features - 2015

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

From the Holden page, Dazz, the Calais V has both Fog Lamps and DRLs.  The DRLs should switch off when you turn any light on.

Thanks, I've got the DRL's sorted.. I think I know which switch turns on the fogs (but I have a lot of switches and headlights are set to auto) :goodjob:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Thanks, I've got the DRL's sorted.. I think I know which switch turns on the fogs (but I have a lot of switches and headlights are set to auto) :goodjob:

From the photos on the web, I think that you press the centre of the light switch/knob/thingy, the button with the Fog Light on it.   :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

From the photos on the web, I think that you press the centre of the light switch/knob/thingy, the button with the Fog Light on it.   :whistler:

But I think there is a fog light type picture on one of the stalks as well (I'll go and have a play shortly) or if all else fails I'll RTFM...

Are you on your way back to Broome?

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
But I think there is a fog light type picture on one of the stalks as well (I'll go and have a play shortly) or if all else fails I'll RTFM...

Don't do it, Dazz.  If you do then you have to hand in your man badge!!  Don't RTFM (unless you really need to).  With mine, you pull the light knob out (in any mode, mine has auto as well) and it "arms" the fog lights.

I'm back in Broome at the moment.  Arrived yesterday after a night in Perth (due to weather in Melbourne, missed my connection), with a night at "The Vines" courtesy of Qantas.  Gotta love full service carriers, they paid for accommodation, taxi and a $30 voucher for dinner.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Don't do it, Dazz.  If you do then you have to hand in your man badge!!  Don't RTFM (unless you really need to).  With mine, you pull the light knob out (in any mode, mine has auto as well) and it "arms" the fog lights.

I'm back in Broome at the moment.  Arrived yesterday after a night in Perth (due to weather in Melbourne, missed my connection), with a night at "The Vines" courtesy of Qantas. Gotta love full service carriers, they paid for accommodation, taxi and a $30 voucher for dinner.

Thanks .. I didn't go there!

I think you have been kissed on the d**k by a fairy!  :Shocked: :mrgreen:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I'm back in Broome at the moment.  Arrived yesterday after a night in Perth (due to weather in Melbourne, missed my connection), with a night at "The Vines" courtesy of Qantas. Gotta love full service carriers, they paid for accommodation, taxi and a $30 voucher for dinner.

Is this an admission of some sort, Dazz?   :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

He is not gay, but $20 is $20!!

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia

He is not gay, but $20 is $20!!

as if you didn't know , Dave..... :winker:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal