i30 Owners Club

Tyre Deflation.

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK
In May 2011, I purchased my 1600cc Diesel Auto. from a Hyundai dealer. (UK)
The car was a year old, and the tyres looked new.

Hankook 205/55R 16 91H. The tyre pressures on all wheels were correct.

About 6 weeks later the ESP light kept coming on, I checked the tyre pressures

and they were about 2-3 pounds per square inch, under pressure.  The ESP light

was back to normal

Again about 6 weeks later the ESP light kept coming on, I had to re inflate the tyres

again. After I re inflated the ESP was back to normal again.  The car is not fitted with

a tyre pressure  monitoring  system.

I have checked the values and they are seated correctly.

Any one any ideas, what may be causing the problem?

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
Was there any significant difference in pressure between the wheels on the same axle or between the wheels of forward and rear axles?
Was the light on while driving straight ahead or in turn?

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK
On the first deflation, the rear nearside tyre (UK) was about one pond lower than the other tyres.

On checking the second,  I believe but cannot be certain, they were all about 2-3  ponds below normal.

I don't know if if I was turning or driving in a straight line when the ESP  light came on.

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

alan2938
I think you should go to the dealer/garage to check the sensors of ESP system.
Or you may deflate one or two wheels to find out if the problem reveals.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I have to reinflate three of the four on our RAV4, every other weekend. The one tyre I never have to blow up is the only one that doesn't have balance weights attached between the rim and the rubber.

Does yours have weights so attached?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK

The one tyre I never have to blow up is the only one that doesn't have balance weights attached between the rim and the rubber.

I cannot see any balance weights between the rubber and the alloys. I am now wondering, that on previous cars they have all had to have balance

weights fitted, should my present car have balance weights ?

Going back to the question of the ESP light coming on, I was leaving a Supermarket at the time travelling at about 10 - 15 mph, on a straight section of the road. The ESP light came on.

I stopped the car and engine, re started, and went home, a distance of about 4 miles, without further incident. I have now inflated all  tyres to 35.5

ponds Square inch (digital readout) I will see what happens now.

I think you should go to the dealer/garage to check the sensors of ESP system.
Or you may deflate one or two wheels to find out if the problem reveals.

Thanks for the info. I will give it a few weeks and check the pressures again, if still a problem, I will contact the Hyundai dealership.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yours weights might be on the back of the wheels Alan?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
My point was that on our RAV, I'm convinced the weights are allowing air to escape, being between the metal and the rubber.

My i30 has weights on the back of the wheels (inner rim)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Can't tell you what's causing the ESP light  to come on but the pressure drops you're talking about sound a bit high. Normally you'd expect that drop over several months at worst.
Regarding the wheel weights - this can be an issue but again, not normally. If you can't see any clip on weights, you may well as Dazz says have stick on weights which would be as close to the rims - both inner and outer - on the inside of the wheel.
If you have no weights, someone's done a ratshit job of fitting new tyres befor eyou bought it. But if you have no vibrations, don't worry about it. And at least you can be sure the weights aren't causing the slow leaks.

Just re-read your original post and figure the tyres were probably still factory fitment, unless the car had a big mileage on it when you bought it. So the wheels should be balanced already.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Have you checked that the value(s) are tight?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK
eye30.

Have you checked that the value(s) are tight?

Yes the valves are seated correctly.

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK
I have been doing some further reading on the Web, regarding tyre deflation.

The suggestions are,  inflate the tyre up to about 50 pounds per square inch, remove the wheels in turn.

Place the wheels/tyres in a bath of water and watch for any air bubbles, which would denote an air leak.

The second suggestion is that when the tyres were first fitted, they were not "seated" or "bedded" in correctly. If this is

the case, deflate the tyre (by a  fitter,)  and have the tyre re inflated.

I will give it a few more weeks and look at the tyre pressures again.

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

alan2938
Have you tried to deflate one or two wheels and drive for a certain distance to see if ESP light comes on? This was your initial problem, wasn't it?
I doubt a minor drop in pressure may exercise any influence on ESP.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I have been doing some further reading on the Web, regarding tyre deflation.

The suggestions are,  inflate the tyre up to about 50 pounds per square inch, remove the wheels in turn.

Place the wheels/tyres in a bath of water and watch for any air bubbles, which would denote an air leak.

The second suggestion is that when the tyres were first fitted, they were not "seated" or "bedded" in correctly. If this is

the case, deflate the tyre (by a  fitter,)  and have the tyre re inflated.

I will give it a few more weeks and look at the tyre pressures again.

Alan, just a word of clarification here and I'm not sure it applies in your case as I'm still unsure as to whether you've got any clip on weights on your wheels. But, if the weight is causing the pressure loss, inflation to 50 psi won't help. In cases where the air is slipping out between the bead and the rim around the wheel weight clip, it only happens dynamically. ie as the weight of the car rolls over that part of the rim.
Technically speaking, a little "pphhtt"each revolution of the wheel. :p
And if the tyre(s) aren't seated correctly, inflation to 50 psi will more than likely push the tyre out against the rim a bit harder, reducing or stopping any air loss.
I can't show you this without having a loose wheel and tyre in my hands and you in front of me, unfortunately so I apologise for not being more clear.

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK
Hi surferdude,

Just to clarify, as far I am a where there are no weights attached to the tyre.

I do not intend to take the tyres off the car, but I shall wait for a few weeks, to

see how far they have deflated.

If there is still a problem, I will take the car to the Hyundai dealer and explain what

has happened, and see if I can get this fixed under warranty ?

Thanks for the information and concern.

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

alan2938
Are you sure the wheels are under the warranty at all (The warranty is a comprehensive cover for manufacturing defects. Excluding wear and tear)?
I'm sure it is a normal when the tires deflate with time, it would be a matter of going to the garage if the pressure dropped significantly every day.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
alan2938
Are you sure the wheels are under the warranty at all (The warranty is a comprehensive cover for manufacturing defects. Excluding wear and tear)?
I'm sure it is a normal when the tires deflate with time, it would be a matter of going to the garage if the pressure dropped significantly every day.

Nevertheless, it's always worth asking meehalych, because if you don't ask you never get   :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

asathorny
 :mrgreen:
The wheels are not under the warranty in Russia. The tire deflation is a normal case (they deflate even while being stored for the next season), especially in action, unless the rate of deflation is too high.  This all is IMHO
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 11:06:08 by meehalych »

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
asathorny
 :mrgreen:
The wheels are not under the warranty in Russia. The tire deflation is a normal case (they deflate even while being stored for the next season), especially in action, unless the rate of deflation is too high.  This all is IMHO

All quite true, but as I have said above, the reported deflation rate is too high. Especially if it's happening to more than one tyre.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal