i30 Owners Club

kumho KH17 Tyres

Offline moreboost

• 2nd Gear
My 2010 SLX is approaching tyre replacement and with KH15 Kumhos no longer available I have been considering KH17s that are their replacement tyre. Only major difference is 3 larger grooves vs 4 on the KH15s but more interesting is the fact they are manufactured in China rather than Korea. Has anyone fitted them? Any feedback?
  • SLX Diesel

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Here's some reviews, including some on (smaller) Hyundais.
Althoug the Kiwi report for a Falcon Ute is complimentary, I can't imagine ANY tyre doing what he claims to have done.

I've just compared the two treads on line. IMO the KH15 would be better at highway speeds as that solid centre rib will provide plenty of straight line stability.
The 17 may be marginally better in the wet but both tyres have plenty of void space to handle water dispersion.
My only concern with the KH17 is the comments about rapid wear - even moreso than those on here by some members.
What size are your tyres?
Regarding manufacture in China, most manufacturers do that these days to some extent. However, I can't tell you what sort of quality you'll get on a Kumho made there.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline moreboost

• 2nd Gear
thanks Surferdude,
my tyre size is the standard 205/55X16. I've used KU31 Kuhmos in the past, they were a good tyre, lasted and performed well but they are $40 dearer each tyre. If I'm going to spend that much one then starts to look at Michelin XM2s and the like. Had Michelin XM1s on my last car and couldn't complain about their performance or wear.
Anyone fitted 235/45X17s on an i30??? Close in diameter but not sure they will fit width wise, most aftermarket rims seem to be 45 offset which by my calculations puts the outer tyre wall 20mm closer to the guard...inside should be OK only 10mm less clearance.
  • SLX Diesel

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Moreboost,
i30s come with 15", 16" and 17" as standard fitment depending on the model.
I'm pretty sure the 17s are 225/45R17
There are several other threads about this and offset issues with the 17" wheels.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal