i30 Owners Club

Tyres Pressure Sensors

Spence · 5 · 4028

Offline Spence

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
I have a March 2017 i30 Diesel Tourer that I purchased a couple of months ago and will need a second set of wheels with winters tyres (travel to Germany a lot).  I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help with regarding the Tyre Pressure Monitoring  System (TPMS).

1. If I purchase a used set of wheels with senors fitted, will the tyre pressure sensors need to be reprogrammed to my vehicle?
2. If no sensors are fitted to second set of purchased wheels will my car have any issues, a warning light on dash for example?

Thank you.
  • i30 Tourer 1.6 CRD 2017

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

• 2008 1.6 cRDi manual Elite in Stone Black
Hi Spence

I have recently bought a used 2017 i30. It came complete with what sounded like a damaged tyre (a loud hum when driving). The tyre warning light was on when purchased so I flicked to that screen, saw the tyre pressure monitoring system indicated 25psi in each tyre, pumped up to 34psi and drove car. After a bit of a drive the light disappeared. Which matches what I have read, simply driving resets the Hyundai sensors. Beware, other makes are different. Have read some have a reset button while some need reprogramming by the dealer. So in answer to your first question the Hyundai i30 sensors may reprogram easily. Just by driving. Will wait for others more knowledgeable to comment.

To get rid of the tyre noise I swapped on the spare in each of the four wheel locations ... turned out to be the right front. Navigated to the tyre pressure monitoring screen to see what the pressure in the spare was ... the message on the screen indicated I needed to drive the car. Anyway it didn't indicate the pressures at all after driving some distance. I had a look and the spare doesn't have a tyre pressure monitor ... just a normal valve. The valves on all other wheels look different. No warning light so I am thinking wheels without tyre pressure monitors will not give a warning light. Hopefully that is the case when all four  don't have tyre pressure monitors as I would like to install a set of aftermarket wheels without tyre pressure monitors. I don't believe they are required in NZ although I will check before going ahead.

Do post back Spence if you fit your winter wheels and tyres without tyre pressure monitors.

Andrew
  • 2008 1.6 manual diesel Elite

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Andrew. They are clever little blighters aren't they! I can confirm they reset themselves and the location as well. I got some tyre damage a week before I swapped my SR for the new Hybrid and when they did a temporary repair while they ordered a new tyre they swapped it to the rear.. the pressure was a couple of PSI different initially it was still showing on the front but switched to the back after a few minutes.

I will miss that feature Toyota don't bother with TPMS for Australia. Only had 1 car out of 35 with that feature but I thought it was great.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

• 2008 1.6 cRDi manual Elite in Stone Black
Hi Darryl,

I was very impressed with my FD i30 and am pretty impressed so far with my PD. Saying that I spoke out of turn!

Sorry Spence, I took the car for a much longer drive last night and after about 20 minutes of trying to find a pressure reading on the spare wheel (with no tyre pressure sensor) the system gas up, the light showing an orange tyre flashed for a bit and the turned solid orange. The TPMS information screen simply states 'çheck TPMS'.  No bells or whistles, just a light. Couldn't find a fuse to pull out either.

In my case when I get new wheels and tyres I may just swap the sensors to the new wheels. In your case you could either get sensors ... unknown whether any Hyundai sensor works or you would need i30 ones (best to check part numbers), live with the light or have it disabled by removing the bulb/led in the dash or finding whether there is a fuse or not. Light on may be a MOT/wof/roadworthyness certificate failure. I don't know yet I have asked my local friendly mechanic.

I may do some googling on TPMS sensors for the i30 today :-)

Andrew
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 23:28:16 by The Gonz »
  • 2008 1.6 manual diesel Elite

Offline Spence

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
Thank you for all your replies.
  • i30 Tourer 1.6 CRD 2017

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal