Surferdude's New Tyres

Surferdude · 118 · 36335

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have been happy with the 300e's but would like to try something different (and hopefully even better)..

Have you had much feedback on the ASSURANCE FUEL MAX? I believe that comes in 215/60 R16... Or the EAGLE NCT5 or even lash out on the 4 for 3 offer and get the EXCELLENCE  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Careful you don't pay "inflated" prices Dazz  :lol:
I'll have to start looking around soon for some new tyres too.
I got 68,000 kms out of the first set and I've done 55,000 kms so far on this set.
They're looking ok for a bit yet, but probably should start doing a bit of research.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Careful you don't pay "inflated" prices Dazz  :lol:

Can't happen these days dave. At least not with large companies. The TPC can (and does) wander into any participating store in any promotion and where a discount off or something like this "buy 3, get one free" and examine three months of invoices, calculating average prices and then comparing with the advertised deal. Being found guilty is not something you want to happen to you.
They'll even check that if you were building balancing etc into the tyre price before and you are now adding it on.....gonzo.
In the case of this promotion, the cost of the extra tyre is shared between Goodyear and the dealer. When we first started doing this while I was still in Sydney, IIRC, we actually advised the TPC of the offer. And each batch of adevertising material sent to the stores, includes a set of staff guidelines and a counter card with the details spelt out.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I have been happy with the 300e's but would like to try something different (and hopefully even better)..

Have you had much feedback on the ASSURANCE FUEL MAX? I believe that comes in 215/60 R16... Or the EAGLE NCT5 or even lash out on the 4 for 3 offer and get the EXCELLENCE  :happydance:

The NCT5 eco is older than the 300e. A damn nice tyre but either the Fuel Max or the Excellence are better. Both are quiet and the Fuel Max is one of those tyres I mentioned above, along with similar offerings from Conti and Michelin.

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear
  • Perth, Western Australia

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Surferdude: Excellence > Duraplus? If so, worth the extra?
  • 08 i30 CRDi SX Hatch in Mica Black

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Surferdude: Excellence > Duraplus? If so, worth the extra?
I can't speak about the mileage comparison because most of the Excellence I have sold have been to larger, heavier cars. That's not an issue in itself but the larger cars tend to be harder on tyres.
They are certainly a premium tyre though and well worth the money, especially if you can get them on the 443 deal.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 00:36:38 by surferdude »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Pity the deal only goes until next Saturday...  :undecided: Was hoping to recover a bit more from the cost of our trip before forking out for new tyres... :confused:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Pity the deal only goes until next Saturday...  :undecided: Was hoping to recover a bit more from the cost of our trip before forking out for new tyres... :confused:
It's been going for over a month now and they generally only run it once a year, but your mate might be able to scrounge a couple of week's grace if you speak to him before the offer ends. (If he knows how).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It's been going for over a month now and they generally only run it once a year, but your mate might be able to scrounge a couple of week's grace if you speak to him before the offer ends. (If he knows how).

Thanks for the Tip.. I'll go and see him this week  :goodjob:

Sounds like the fuel max unless the Excellence is only a few bucks dearer then... :goodjob:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

The TPC can (and does) wander into any participating store in any promotion and where a discount off or something like this "buy 3, get one free" and examine three months of invoices, calculating average prices and then comparing with the advertised deal. Being found guilty is not something you want to happen to you........
..........And each batch of adevertising material sent to the stores, includes a set of staff guidelines and a counter card with the details spelt out.

OMG if only we could have an effective Trading Standards system like that in the U.K. where there is far too much juggling with words  and pricing in promotional advertising.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

The TPC can (and does) wander into any participating store in any promotion and where a discount off or something like this "buy 3, get one free" and examine three months of invoices, calculating average prices and then comparing with the advertised deal. Being found guilty is not something you want to happen to you........
..........And each batch of adevertising material sent to the stores, includes a set of staff guidelines and a counter card with the details spelt out.

OMG if only we could have an effective Trading Standards system like that in the U.K. where there is far too much juggling with words  and pricing in promotional advertising.

It reads better than the reality. They target certain types of advertising and have been known to go after some high profile companies so they can look good, while one-off operator can get away with almost anything.
And the almost constant 50% Off advertising engaged in by (for instance) jewellery retail chanis appears to go on unchecked.
And don't start me on what the banks and supermarkets get away with.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Banks!
Don't start me on banks either  :mad:
Or airlines.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Banks!
Don't start me on banks either  :mad:
Or airlines.

Haha, fired up!

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Booked in to have these babies fitted tomorrow on the 443 deal :D

Will mean I don't have to rush to find some alloys I like just because I'm worried about driving on bald tyres.

Offline Mauritzvw

• 1st Gear
How would the Armorgrip compare to Duraplus?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I went for the 443 deal today on our Hybrid 4 x Goodyear Excellence 215/60 R16 for $597.. I could have got other tyres for that money but these are supposed to be towards the premium end (Quiet & Fuel Efficient) interested to try them out .. Expecting to run up nearly a 1000 kms over the next week... :sweating:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I'll look forward to your thoughts on them - I still have a few thousand kms thinking time left.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'll look forward to your thoughts on them - I still have a few thousand kms thinking time left.  :)

They got very mixed user reviews on the net several 5 stars and several 1 stars  :eek: (some had issue with wear) but when I looked at reviews of the 300e they were similar (and I was happy with those..)

Just want to try something different..

I could have got some Yokohama E70 Decibel (I think they were called) from Bob Janes for $488 but they were only H rated and Yokos can be a bit soft with fast wear rates  :undecided:

Offline olddude

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Love the technology
SurferDude,
Interesting thread. I am about to consider new tyres on my 2008 I30 Diesel auto. Base model with steel wheels so 195/65R15's will be the go. Currently I have just clicked over 48,000k's, average economy over life so far is about 6.5l per 100k's which includes majority of city trips about 30k, with the odd longer trip thrown in. I don't drive like granny but drive to the speed limit (fines are too expensive for us old self funded retirees) but car still performs well at 110kph when cruising. Some road materials make the Kumho's VERY noisy. Tyre wear similar to yours fairly even (one rotation front to back at about 30,000), but I refused to let dealer "realign" the wheels at 30,000, (no problems why change something not broken). Looking for a tyre with reasonable wear and quiet. Previous threads indicated Michelin might be the way to go, any further thoughts on these and the "efficient" tyres they mention? The reason I ask is that my tyre dealer is not a Goodyear Autocare guy but I trust him so if I don't go Duraplus I wonder if anyone has any experience with other tyres for the 15 inch rims. NB The 60k service was quoted at $745.00 which I consider pretty hot when they only change a few fluids and check settings, think I might have to go to the local guy and see what he might charge.
I live Manly area so will be looking in the local area.
Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Olddude (Rob)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi Rob,
Yep your nearest Goodyear Auto Care is at Rozelle.
There was a Continental Tyres dealer around Brookvale somewhere.  I think they go under the name of "Tyre Right". The Continental (Premium Contact 2) is a good option. According to Alan Ho the newer version is a little noisier so stay with this version.

I understand about watching every penny as a SFR.
Any mechanical workshop which is a Repco Authorised Repairer should be a good alternative service option as they have a national warranty andshould only use OE quality parts.

If you do want to go to Rozelle let me know and I'll speak to him.

Instroe
A quick post after a tyre rotation. Tyres were new Goodyear Duraplus fitted April 2nd 2012 after advice from Surferdude.
I've done 23,643 kms on them so far without rotation - (shame on me). Original depth was 8.4 mm, so if I wear them to the 1 mm minimum I get 7.4 mm of tread to wear away.
Front tyre depth now 4.9 mm , read tyre depth now 6.9 mm so front has worn 3.5 mm and read has worn 1.5mm. Average wear therefore 2.5mm.

2.5mm/7.4 mm  = 33.8% worn.

If everything continues to wear evenly I should get 23,643/0.338 = 69,950 kms out of them. If they wear slower the lower the tread gets as Surferdude suggests then I may get 75,000 out of them!

Honestly if I get 60,000 out of them I'll be delighted. Thanks again for the advice 21 months ago Surferdude.

Cheers

Instroe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I don't know what the tread wear indicator depth is, but if the tyre is worn to ANY of the indicators or the overall tread depth is 1.5 mm or less, then it's considered unroadworthy in SA and most likely other states too..

• 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I don't know what the tread wear indicator depth is, but if the tyre is worn to ANY of the indicators or the overall tread depth is 1.5 mm or less, then it's considered unroadworthy in SA and most likely other states too..
Think it's 1.6 mm in most states, if not all. But Instroes figures are general and as he says if he gets 60K out of them he'll be happy. Based on those figures and the reduction in wear rate as the tread gets lower (due to less flex), 60 will be pretty easily obtainable.
Mine are projecting out about the same or  fraction more - maybe because I have rotated them more. It can't be my driving style.
Nice to get some feedback anyway.

Instroe
Just checked, 1.6 mm in Vic. Oops
So new maths gives 2.5mm/6.8mm = 36.7% worn giving 64,422 projected kms. Which is way better than the 38,000 I got out of the original Hankook Optimo.
Same depth over the width of the tyres (I run 20 kPa above the data plate pressure).

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Yes, a good result if you can get it, keep us posted.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
if I wear them to the 1 mm minimum

1.5mm minimum here in uk
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Minimum 1,6 mm here.

I wouldn't wan't to wear my tyres Down to 1,6 mm, just a Little rain and it'll be like driving on ice or soap.

I allways replace the tyres when around 3mm left.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
interesting to note, the tread is only needed in wet weather or on damp clay roads. infact a smooth tyre has the best traction on dry sealed surface as more rubber contact to road surface. in Austrailia if it rains for two days straight, everyone say's when will it stop raining  :rofl: , if its dry for two month's they say, Oh we need some rain  :rofl:
cheers

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Here we're lucky if we get 14 days without rain....
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

says it all really...

The good wife's car is getting low, might drop in before October 4, if I can't find a nice set of wheels elsewhere.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal