The Subject Title is a bit of a tease. Sorry.  :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Bunyip..

Hyundai appear to have the resources and the motivation to improve so I'm sure they will be doing the overtime...  ;)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Looks like Delphi already supply the Common Rail systems to Hyundai.  I would think it wouldnt be much more work for Hyundai than fitting the new system and fine tuning it...  Although I kinda remember Martin saying that the i30 has a Bosch system.  Can anyone who actually has their diesel i30 elaborate?

http://delphi.com/news/pressReleases/pressReleases_2005/pr54532-09092005/

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
It seems that there could be a switch to a Bosch CR Injector system.

The U series diesel used in the i30 now has a younger brother to be called a U2. The i20 will apparently be the first model to gain the benefit of this work. As the U2 seems to be a modified U rather than a new design I wonder if production of the U diesel might cease at some point in favour of the U2.

See here http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008/09/hyundai-introdu.html#more

Increased power and torque for the same fuel consumption and built on what was an already impressive engine.  Euro5 will be achieved with a Particulate filter.

Now that would make an interesting change when the time comes to "Refresh the i30 Model". So far I have been unable to satisfy my curiosity and discover where the development work was done to enhance the U to the U2 diesel engine. Perhaps the Hyundai team at Rüsselsheim worked with their German neighbours at Bosch for this tasty upgrade. Regardless of where it was done I think Hyundai and their customers will be very happy with this improvement.

The present U Diesel injectors work at 1,350 bar (I think) The U2 injectors from Bosch work at 1,600 bar but that new Injectors from Delphi (linked in my first post above) work at 2,000 bar. Hands up anyone who would like to see a comparison on what could be achieved with these new technologies. I guess that this is an exciting time to work in Engine development with the push for greater fuel efficiency and reducing emissions.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal