i30 Owners Club

First Service

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
In for the free first service today. Absolutely no complaints with the car. Have a couple minute chips in the paint from stones. Good thing for paint protection warranty. Off to the body shop next to see if they want to touch it up or not.
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Be interesting to see what happens with the stone  chips,they took one look at mine when the cars had done a few miles and just said their Stone chips,nothing to do with the quality of their paint or it's application,so didn't come under their paint protection warranty,please let us know what they decide in your case.  :goodjob2:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Be interesting to see what happens with the stone  chips,they took one look at mine when the cars had done a few miles and just said their Stone chips,nothing to do with the quality of their paint or it's application,so didn't come under their paint protection warranty,please let us know what they decide in your case.  :goodjob2:
Yep.

That's how I understand the "paint protection" deal, too.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The paint warranty in the UK states

"A ten year Anti Perforation Warranty against perforation of the bodywork from the inside of the panel outwards"

This means they will only take responsibility for bubbles or flaking etc that break through from the metal. Stone chips are definitely excluded.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Hyundai Australia's paint warranty.... :)

• Exterior Paint Durability and Finish - 36 months / 100,000 km*
Excludes defects defined as scaling, surface rust, blistering, scab, corrosion and fading that may result from insufficient or improper maintenance or care.

• Exterior Paint Application Defects - 12 months / Unlimited km
Paint application defects will be considered to be overspray, low gloss, mismatch, mottling, cloudy, runs, fish eye, pin holes, slow drying, thin paint, waving, tape mark, touch mark, polishing/sanding mark, touch up, dust or dirt in the paint.

Note: Warranty does not apply for paint defects arising from stone or similar chipping, tree sap, hail damage, windstorm damage, chemical/industrial fallout, salt spray, bird/animal droppings, or any other environmental condition.

* Whichever occurs first.

Source: http://www.hyundai.com.au/ArticleDocuments/763/HyundaiNewVehicleWarranty.pdf.aspx

I also looked up some paint protection companies and found stone chips are not covered....
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 03:31:49 by rustynutz »

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I must say that I don't understand how anyone can truly believe a stone chip will be covered by the car's warranty.

A stone hitting the paint and causing a hole in the paint is not a defect on the car.

Warranty's are to correct defects on the product you've bought, not for everything else happening to your product.

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I must say that I don't understand how anyone can truly believe a stone chip will be covered by the car's warranty.

A stone hitting the paint and causing a hole in the paint is not a defect on the car.

Warranty's are to correct defects on the product you've bought, not for everything else happening to your product.

:whsaid: :agreed: :MeToo:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Looks like we're all in agreement on stone chips.

However, we are a fairly knowledgeable group.

Having recently sat through a presentation by a sales person at a car yard (Toyota) and a year or so ago at Hyundai (my daughter's Accent), I have to say, they know how to use words in such a way as to "encourage" you to believe stone chips would be covered. Never actually mentioned of course, but you get the impression it's more like insurance, rather than a guarantee, so I can understand how the general public would misunderstand.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

:whsaid:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Looks like we're all in agreement on stone chips.

However, we are a fairly knowledgeable group.

Having recently sat through a presentation by a sales person at a car yard (Toyota) and a year or so ago at Hyundai (my daughter's Accent), I have to say, they know how to use words in such a way as to "encourage" you to believe stone chips would be covered. Never actually mentioned of course, but you get the impression it's more like insurance, rather than a guarantee, so I can understand how the general public would misunderstand.

Well said Trev, they do try to paint it (pardon the pun) as a "panacea"

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Hey guys, sorry for the delay, been busy with work, and not much free time.

Service went well, no problems,  drove down the street to their body shop and had the mgr take a look at them. He said that it doesn't appear to have scratched through the undercoat of the paint. But told me to keep an eye out on it and check for rust. And bring it back if it does and they will clean out the rust and touch it up. He said that he didn't mind touching it up free of charge there and then, but he said it would be more noticeable then the chips.

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
He says unless its got major paint flaws they will only touch up the areas.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Seems fair :goodjob:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Good Stuff Dave!
i've had stone chips on every car i've owned. so am used to it. touch up is how they fix it as just covers bare metal with paint.
but i must say, with the newer cars i don't recall rust coming out. with the old cars ( i bought new ) say 30 years back they would rust easier, needed fish oil ( Pew )
cheers

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Good Stuff Dave!
i've had stone chips on every car i've owned. so am used to it. touch up is how they fix it as just covers bare metal with paint.
but i must say, with the newer cars i don't recall rust coming out. with the old cars ( i bought new ) say 30 years back they would rust easier, needed fish oil ( Pew )
cheers

The good old fish oil,Boy that brought back some memories nothing like giving the car a good old spray of fish oil before going out on a date and then getting turned down when you asked to see her again, at least I think the fish oil was to blame.  :rofl:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:rofl: :rofl:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Good Stuff Dave!
cheers

The good old fish oil,Boy that brought back some memories nothing like giving the car a good old spray of fish oil before going out on a date and then getting turned down when you asked to see her again, at least I think the fish oil was to blame.  :rofl:

I would have blamed it on her.  :whistler:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
LOL you guys aren't right in the head!!!  :rofl: My kind of normal :D

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :snigger:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Sorry if this is off  topic, but I just had a thought , it was pouring of rain when she said lets get in the back, I thought  wow I'm on a winner here and as I started clambering over  the seat to get to the back bench seat she said what are you doing, I said getting in the back, she said NO I said we had better get back, maybe that had something to do with not getting a return date.  :disapp:  :lol:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Sorry if this is off  topic, but I just had a thought , it was pouring of rain when she said lets get in the back, I thought  wow I'm on a winner here and as I started clambering over  the seat to get to the back bench seat she said what are you doing, I said getting in the back, she said NO I said we had better get back, maybe that had something to do with not getting a return date.  :disapp:  :lol:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You are a funny man John! :rofl:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
You are a funny man John! :rofl:

Along with the rest of the guys on the forum , &  you are no slouch on the humor either, I read all your quips and have a good chuckle :lol:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal