i30 Owners Club

false mpg figures

Offline patchpants

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Halifax
I am a motability customer and after years of low mpg cars ,read all the blurb from hyundai stating 76-odd mpg for the i30 1-6 blue drive diesel .so on advice I knocked 20 per cent off that and still got a reasonable return ;BUT !!!after 8, 700 miles im getting 38 mpg ;I went to my dealer who said yes sounds about right the two faced fella ;the upshot is having had the car from new for the last 11 months .motobility have allowed me to start a new 3 year contract with a new car of my choice ;nothing wrong with the car cept the mpg ;cant afford to run it ;I drive like a little old lady going to church ,if fact I,m a little old man going to the pub haha shandies ;;any one else had this problem ???not going to the pub but bad mpg lol
  • hyundia i30 blue drive active

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Hi Patch...

Are you saying that the Mobility peeps have allowed you to dump the Hy and get another car............   ?????

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
If you are doing mainly short runs about town - then 38 mpg is low - but not exceptionally.  Your DPF will be getting loaded quickly and the regular regenerations will prevent you getting a better figure.

I have had two i30 1.6 diesel blue drives and with 60% motorway and 40% town driving they averaged 52mpg and 54 mpg respectively. About town I would get about 36 mpg and on the motorway about 58 mpg on average.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline patchpants

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Halifax
Hi Patch...

Are you saying that the Mobility peeps have allowed you to dump the Hy and get another car............   ?????
yes that's exactly whats about to happen I like the car but hits my budget ;I just asked motability about the mpg and within a week they sent me the papers to exchange for any car I like (within reason )surprised me didn't expect this ;this will be my 6 th car in 15 years ;lol

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Hi Patch...

yes that's exactly whats about to happen I like the car but hits my budget ;I just asked motability about the mpg and within a week they sent me the papers to exchange for any car I like (within reason )surprised me didn't expect this ;this will be my 6 th car in 15 years ;lol

Right, so this is where all my income tax is disappearing too then  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
And me a POOR pensioner  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline patchpants

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Halifax
If you are doing mainly short runs about town - then 38 mpg is low - but not exceptionally.  Your DPF will be getting loaded quickly and the regular regenerations will prevent you getting a better figure.

I have had two i30 1.6 diesel blue drives and with 60% motorway and 40% town driving they averaged 52mpg and 54 mpg respectively. About town I would get about 36 mpg and on the motorway about 58 mpg on average.
I would be happy with 50 ish mpg but I live in a hilly district so thanks for your figures my car is doing 57 mpg at the moment but ive just done 500 miles on the motorways to the east coast twice plus Bridlington to hull hospital then back to Halifax .I know wot u mean about the dpf I had one on a Nissan quashqai ;
just a thought I have noticed the stop /start doesn't a lot of the time ;but brill when it works .not running hyundai down cos its magic but fickle me has picked a ford focus plantinum /nav lots of bells and whistles ;may finish in the same boat as far as mpg goes but can play with the boys toys ;;love this forum and the good people on it stevie g

Offline patchpants

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Halifax
sorry asathorny  wots income tax ???but I agree there is a lot of undeserving people on motability myself I,m very limited in walking due to multiple illnesses mainly heart decease ,diabetes and copd ;but see your laughing icons so no offence taken ;take care lad or lass stevie g

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
sorry asathorny  wots income tax ???but I agree there is a lot of undeserving people on motability myself I,m very limited in walking due to multiple illnesses mainly heart decease ,diabetes and copd ;but see your laughing icons so no offence taken ;take care lad or lass stevie g

No probs Steve, my daughter has her Mobility car and doesn't look as if she needs it.   However, she is still on Chemo and it's a long haul.   :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Are you considering a petrol as they do not have dpf.

Also, best if you don't get stop/ start.

Be interested in what you decide to go for.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline patchpants

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Halifax
Are you considering a petrol as they do not have dpf.

Also, best if you don't get stop/ start.

Be interested in what you decide to go for.
gone for diesel again but with the difference in fuel prices ,beginning  to regret this last three cars have been diesel first three were petrol but diesel was cheaper nine years ago ;thanks for the advice I can turn the stop/start off which I,m gonna do ,the dpf was much maligned on the Nissan forum ,tells u it saves on emissions then in the same breath it tells you to burn the dpf deposits by racing down the motorway for thirty miles ,needless trip which adds to the emissions ;I,m too naïve for this world back to my abacus lol

Offline patchpants

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Halifax

No probs Steve, my daughter has her Mobility car and doesn't look as if she needs it.   However, she is still on Chemo and it's a long haul.   :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:
well I,m the same until breathing requires input .bless your lass tell her where theres life theres hope .my son and daughter died in their 30 s plus my wife in her 60 s but we plod on with my remaining sons and daughter we are blighted with heart desease but  we never ever give in lol steve

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Steve, I was going to say not much will give you better economy with the sort of trips you do (but sounds like you have worked that out)  :goodjob:

Good to see you have managed to keep your sense of humour after some of the things you have been through!  :sweating: :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Why turn off the stop start?. It saves fuel on stop start driving. I did some experiments and published the results somewhere here on the forum and it was about 5% IIRC.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline MarkC

• 2nd Gear
  • knobs in silver cars rule ok

• gb United Kingdom
      Warrington, England

• 2013 Sport Nav 1.6 Diesel 128PS in Sleek Silver
Manufacturers fuel consumption claims are all well and good, but they will rarely apply in the real world, under real road conditions, rather than in controlled tests on flat roads with no congestion. Stop start allows them to get the carbon emissions down to below government targets, as the car is not emitting any CO when the engine is not running during the emissions test.

I'm not exactly sure about my actual monthly mileage for May, but I do know that I brimmed the tank on May 3rd with posh diesel, and on 31st May I still had a quarter of a tank (or 3 bars!!  :winker:) remaining. I do a mixture of town and motorway driving, along with a fair amount of 'spirited' pleasure driving, just for the buzz of driving the car, and giving it some welly.  So far I'm happy with the fuel economy, especially as I spent the last two years driving a fully expensed company car. Its amazing how paying for your own fuel modifies your driving style  :faint:

• i30 Sport Nav

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :Agoodpost: MarkC
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal