i30 Owners Club

I30 CRDi - 20,000 miles service intervals?

Bubbacpt · 31 · 27077

Offline Bubbacpt

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      West Lothian

• i30 1.6 CRDi SE NAV
Hi guys, I'm just new to this forum and this is my first post. I've just bought a 2014 reg Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDi Active Blue Drive. The service manual states full service intervals of 20,000 miles or 2 years, whichever comes first and interim services in between which are optional.
If I only do the the full service at 20, 40, 60 thousand miles will engine oil last that length of time or should it be changed every 10,000 miles, getting confused as book says 10,000 mile service is optional. Hope someone can advise.
Took out a personal service plan with local Hyundai dealer for the full services every 20,000 miles (no interim) as they say that's all that's required to maintain the warranty.
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDi SE NAV 6 speed manual

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yep and  :welcome:

Twenty K is all OK in the UK (like my poetry?) :D

I've just clocked 13k miles but will be asking for a service in April at the 1st year anniversary, even though it's not strictly mandated by the service schedule.

Modern engines eh? Can't beat 'em :victory:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Bubbacpt

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      West Lothian

• i30 1.6 CRDi SE NAV
Thanks for your quick reply, I've always had oil changed at about 10,000 miles on previous cars  so was a little concerned when the book stated 20,000 for vehicles after March 2013.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I understand. I too feel quite nervous about running Vayda for 2 years on the factory lubricant.

Offline Bubbacpt

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      West Lothian

• i30 1.6 CRDi SE NAV
I'm doing about 14,000 miles a year so my plan has me getting the car serviced approximately every 18 months.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Big warranty + Big service intervals = Big savings ;)

Doncha just love these GD i30s :D

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Bubbacpt

:wttc:

i would just follow the plan of 20.000 miles/2 year unless you're planning to haul heavy loads or caravan. With a good quality oil this is no problem at all.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Bubbacpt

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      West Lothian

• i30 1.6 CRDi SE NAV
Thanks Asterix & Shambles, what a great forum. Invaluable info for a novice like myself.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Welcome Bubbacpt.
If you follow the 20000km intervals you'll be right. its a long interval but its what Hyundai have reasearched. We have 11months/15000km in Australia.
But be sure to check your severe operation conditions in the service booklet to make sure you don't fall under any of the categories (extreme cold, extreme heat, towing etc)
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Looking at my i30 service Diesel schedule, engine oil is replaced every 15k KMS, that's only 9320.567 MILES. Surely you don't run your oil for 20k MILES, do you  :eek:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Looking at my i30 service Diesel schedule, engine oil is replaced every 15k KMS, that's only 9320.567 MILES. Surely you don't run your oil for 20k MILES, do you  :eek:

Why not.. :question: Intervals here are also 30.000 km / 2 year and VAG cars and others have had those intervals for many years...
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
So let's ask WHY in Oz, such short intervals  :question:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Good question, Phil.  One reason I can think of is because of people like my father.  He bought a Kia a while ago, with a service schedule of 15,000km or one year (from memory).  He said that it was too short, and got his local mechanic to do the service at 10,000km.  He based that decision solely on what the servicing schedule was in previous cars that he has owned.  Basically his premise was that he knew better than the engineers that designed the car.

So in short, I think it would be too much of a cultural change for Australians to go from a 10,000km service schedule to 30,000km in one hit.  There would be people out there that wouldn't buy the car because "you don't have to service it enough".

Just my thoughts.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I've never taken much notice what the various brands slap on their labels in Oz. I seem to remember 20K KMS protection vaguely.

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire

Good question, Phil.  One reason I can think of is because of people like my father.  He bought a Kia a while ago, with a service schedule of 15,000km or one year (from memory).  He said that it was too short, and got his local mechanic to do the service at 10,000km.  He based that decision solely on what the servicing schedule was in previous cars that he has owned.  Basically his premise was that he knew better than the engineers that designed the car.

So in short, I think it would be too much of a cultural change for Australians to go from a 10,000km service schedule to 30,000km in one hit.  There would be people out there that wouldn't buy the car because "you don't have to service it enough" 

Just my thoughts.

Thats exactly what the service centre told me, when I asked why the 2 year service and the optional  interim service, coz some folks still think the old way, engine oil and filter change every 12 months. I had a look at my mileage today and I've only covered 821 miles since the beginning of November when I got the chariot but I'll be changing oil and filter at interims 
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I suppose I'm stuck in the old ways but I see what oil looks like after 7500km so I figure if you can afford to do intermediate services, why not?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
With the oil tests that I review from time to time the long life oil's start to break down at 12,000miles/19,000km's and this is why as I understood it was why we have our oil changes at 15,000km's.

We used to have 10,000km oil changes years ago but with the advances in oil technologies we've lengthened our intervals an extra 5000km's, I'm baffled as to why in Europe they only ask for 30,000km/2 year services as most of the independent oil testings are done in Europe ( Germany ) so our servicing intervals cant just be reliant on the temperatures here in Australia :confused:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
So that begs the question, What condition is the European oil @ 30k kms  :question:

Offline bigwhitetruck1

• 2nd Gear
Bloody hell 20k. My truck needs a oil service every 6k haha

Offline breakdown

• 1st Gear

• be Belgium

Why not.. :question: Intervals here are also 30.000 km / 2 year and VAG cars and others have had those intervals for many years...

My i30 diesel service book says every 15000 kms or each year oil change. I don't know why that would be different in Denmark ?
  • I30 CRDI

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

My i30 diesel service book says every 15000 kms or each year oil change. I don't know why that would be different in Denmark ?

I heard Belgium gets away with a  lot!  :whistler: (only joking)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
My service book has two sections. One for 20 000km interval service and one for 10 000km or 15 000km, (can't remember which), service intervals. That seemed a bit odd that there are two possible service intervals for the car. Or could it be that they use same service book for diesel and petrol and they have different intervals?

I was thinking that the service interval depends on what kind of oil you use. If you use longlife oils the 20 000km (or even the 30 000km) is Ok. If you use "regular" oil the interval would be 10 000km. I don't know (and I don't really care) what is the "real" service interval stated by the dealer. I service my car every 10 000km and now with i30 I've been using Mobil ESP 5W-30 oil which could be used for longer intervals. Maybe a little "overservicing" but I think I can do two oil changes by myself cheaper  than if I took it do dealer for one oil change.

Off-Topic:
My previous car had 10 000km oil change interval. I noticed that I had to add some oil right before each oil change. It was an old car and lots of cold starts in the winter etc, but I was not happy about oil disappearing. I started to check the oil level more frequently. I noticed that the first 7500km the oil level stayed pretty much the same. During the last 2500km the oil level started to drop "rapidly". And this happened few times. It looked like the oil lost some of its quality and the engine started burning it.  After that I started to chance oil every 7500km and the oil level stayed where it should. 
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

My wife's i20 1.2 petrol just had the 12 month service at 4500 miles.  They changed the plugs!!!  (at £30)

I see from the service schedule that the latest i20 (same engine) doesn't get a plug change at 1st service so what's going on?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
So..... is the plug change in the service schedule or is it a genuine mistake....
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline breakdown

• 1st Gear

• be Belgium
I would look for another dealer. Changing spark plugs at 4500 miles is stupid if they still work 100%.
Plug change is at 3 years or 45k kms (+- 30k miles).

• I30 CRDI

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

I doubt very much there's any technical reason for those differentiated intervals. In fact I believe it's the import agent in every country that determines the intervals. (within a max allowed from Hy HQ)

My service book has two sections. One for 20 000km interval service and one for 10 000km or 15 000km, (can't remember which), service intervals. That seemed a bit odd that there are two possible service intervals for the car. Or could it be that they use same service book for diesel and petrol and they have different intervals?

I was thinking that the service interval depends on what kind of oil you use. If you use longlife oils the 20 000km (or even the 30 000km) is Ok. If you use "regular" oil the interval would be 10 000km. I don't know (and I don't really care) what is the "real" service interval stated by the dealer. I service my car every 10 000km and now with i30 I've been using Mobil ESP 5W-30 oil which could be used for longer intervals. Maybe a little "overservicing" but I think I can do two oil changes by myself cheaper  than if I took it do dealer for one oil change.

The 15.000 is for petrol and the 20.000 is for diesel. That's the way it's showed in my FD service book. there's no mention of different oils in that regard.

VAG cars come as standard with longlife service 30.000/2 year but you can get it changed to 15.000/1 year if you like and then you don't have t use the specific longlife oils.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

My wife's i20 1.2 petrol just had the 12 month service at 4500 miles.  They changed the plugs!!!  (at £30)

I see from the service schedule that the latest i20 (same engine) doesn't get a plug change at 1st service so what's going on?

With respect, you come across as quite a direct person. I am surprised you didn't baulk at this and refuse to pay the 30 pounds! I would have!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
I suppose I'm stuck in the old ways but I see what oil looks like after 7500km so I figure if you can afford to do intermediate services, why not?
:goodjob:

Me being old school too , I would never leave oil in mine for 2 years, I do intermediate services myself.
that's probably why I got over 300, 000 miles out of my old car before I sold it  (still going strong too)

When I pay £16,000 +  for a car  the cost of an oil filter and 5ltrs of oil is peanuts.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

When I pay £16,000 +  for a car  the cost of an oil filter and 5ltrs of oil is peanuts.

I agree but it can be hard sometimes.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Yes it's in the schedule provided with the service. The same service  schedule shows the latest (?) i20 as 40,000 miles for the first plug change. TBH I haven't checked what's in the vehicle service handbook but will do.  Not that it will be much use as Hyundai change  scheduled periods leaving the car handbook out of date as I found with the Terracan and my current i30..

My wife's Getz ran for seven years on the original plugs and her Saxo for ten.. 

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal