i30 Owners Club

documenting service

lyngo · 25 · 7390

Offline lyngo

• 2nd Gear
Where does one document oil changes and other routine and required car maintenance operations?  It seems this is required to maintain the warranty, but no book or diary was provided when I bought the car (new).

Thanks for your advice,
Lyn

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Lyn, There should have been an owners manual and a service book in the glovebox??? You better contact your dealer ASAP
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline lyngo

• 2nd Gear
I got an owners manual but no service book.  I"ll call them today.  Thanks for your reply.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Hi Lyn, There should have been an owners manual and a service book in the glovebox??? You better contact your dealer ASAP

Yap!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Failing having the service schedule book keep the invoices to prove service
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Inovice should work, but the T&C's of the warranty specifically say the book is the only acceptable proof of service.

Lyn - make sure when you get the book they should have already stamped and filled in the pre-delivery serivce inspection box, don't leave until they do  :mrgreen:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Inovice should work, but the T&C's of the warranty specifically say the book is the only acceptable proof of service.

Lyn - make sure when you get the book they should have already stamped and filled in the pre-delivery serivce inspection box, don't leave until they do  :mrgreen:

I got my new car early in the week and the sales guy was quite anal in going thu each and every aspect of the paper work including the full 'delivery stamped' service book....  you should adopt your assertive stance and ask where your stuff is.  The warranty was a BIG selling point for me, I guess for you too ???

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I got my new car early in the week and the sales guy was quite anal in going thu each and every aspect of the paper work including the full 'delivery stamped' service book....  you should adopt your assertive stance and ask where your stuff is.  The warranty was a BIG selling point for me, I guess for you too ???

With pre reg it's important to make sure all is OK.

But I wonder if a book which is not complete, say for a car a few years old, the trade mark the missing service coupons to give the impression of a "full service history"

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I got my new car early in the week and the sales guy was quite anal in going thu each and every aspect of the paper work including the full 'delivery stamped' service book....  you should adopt your assertive stance and ask where your stuff is.  The warranty was a BIG selling point for me, I guess for you too ???

With pre reg it's important to make sure all is OK.

But I wonder if a book which is not complete, say for a car a few years old, the trade mark the missing service coupons to give the impression of a "full service history" .

That would be both forgery and fraud, and when Trading Standards caught them the only stamping they would be doing would be on letters home from prison.

I always insist on an itemised checklist from any service and keep those with the book too. Looks good when you come to sell the car

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I always insist on an itemised checklist from any service and keep those with the book too. Looks good when you come to sell the car

Yes that's OK when selling but how often when you go to buy does the seller, lets say in this instance a garage, have the invoices for all services/repairs

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

That would be both forgery and fraud, and when Trading Standards caught them the only stamping they would be doing would be on letters home from prison.

Spot on with above but how would the buyer know unless they contacted previous owner(s). 

Question:
How many people actually contact the previous owners to check history?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Sometimes trading standards do checks (I have a family member that used to do this). Often investigations start with purchasers becoming suspicious and contacting trading standards. They used to be very occupied with checking milage records to look for clocked cars too, but this seemed to be less prolific as electronic odometers were introduced.

Personally I always mark the easily accessible filters/plugs on the car with a tiny blue indelible dot before it goes for a service to ensure the items get changed. I'm not unnecessarily paranoid, its well worth doing.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Personally I always mark ................ with a tiny blue indelible dot before it goes for a service to ensure the items get changed.

:lol: :lol: With your car being blue are you expecting a new car :lol: :lol:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

No, I use a slightly smaller dot of blue! I hate paying for a full service and fiding all they have done is change the oil filter and oil, and this has happened to me in the past. It's a good way to get the service for free but the stand up argument does nothing for my blood pressure.

We seem to be going a bit off topic  :)

Offline simon@mgr

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ingham, FNQ
My log book has none of the pages stamped, even though I asked to have this rectified.
  • 2008 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, Grey

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Failing having the service schedule book keep the invoices to prove service
this is a good back up on the service book,keeping the reciepts.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Hi guys, ressurecting an old-ish Thread here.

I'd decided to have my 1.6 Premium after a Test drive, bought used from a non-franchised Sales place, just over 6,000 miles on an 08 plate (2008 for non UK folks)

The Ad that turned me into a Hy fan included the words "full service history".... 3 of the 5 years remaining, 1 elderly owner, full leather, electric / automatic everything... all I wanted & irresistable.

On the day I collected & paid for it, the Sales guy produced a note from the previous owner stating "sorry I cant find the Service Record book"... I'm thinking Hmmmmm...

But the car drives perfect, no issues (just a buzzy rattle I fixed) AND it does have invoices / receipts for 2 services, both annual ones as the mileage is SO low, by the selling Hy dealer...

The Sales place say they are trying to get a replacement Service History book for me & that Warranty wont be a problem, I have sent off the Transfer of Warranty slip from the book to Hy. Not heard anything back, good or bad.... but why is it so difficult to get a replacement Service History book? Should I go up to the selling dealership in person?

Appreciate your informed thoughts guys...
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I wonder if they are a bit coy with replacement service books to stop someone tinkering with the speedo and then doctoring a new book to suit? (just a thought) :idea:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Possible I guess... so maybe a personal visit with my proof of ownership & the Service receipts should sway things? I just want the history present for peace of mind in case I need a Warranty claim, and of course for if I sell it on before my 3 years is up...

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

My experience when I had other Hy cars is that HY UK held a central database of all service details relating to the car.  Whether that is still the case I don't know.

From memory, as my book is in the car, you need to show evidence of the service to HY UK requirements. 
I would expect that having invoices would be proof enough. 
It may be worth contacting the garage that did the services and see whether they can provide copies of the service schedules/history just to put your mind at rest.

If the service is done by an independent you need a VAT invoice and it needs to show that the HY service requirements and parts have been used.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

My experience when I had other Hy cars is that HY UK held a central database of all service details relating to the car.  Whether that is still the case I don't know.

From memory, as my book is in the car, you need to show evidence of the service to HY UK requirements. 
I would expect that having invoices would be proof enough. 
It may be worth contacting the garage that did the services and see whether they can provide copies of the service schedules/history just to put your mind at rest.

If the service is done by an independent you need a VAT invoice and it needs to show that the HY service requirements and parts have been used.

Ryders of Warrington up by you eye30 were both the original selling dealer & the service agent both times under the original ownership years. I'll drop in & speak to them ASAP.

Offline chodups

• 2nd Gear
I received a small thumb drive that when plugged into my PC connected to Hyundai's website.  I filled in the blanks and registered my car.  After I have any service performed I document it at that website.  I'll keep my recipts, of course.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Update :-
The guys I bought the car off a month ago now have e-mailed me yesterday, saying the dealership has taken delivery of some Service Record books & mine is on its way via the post!... I'll be very impressed if it is actually Dealer stamped from their records...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I received a small thumb drive that when plugged into my PC connected to Hyundai's website.  I filled in the blanks and registered my car.  After I have any service performed I document it at that website.  I'll keep my recipts, of course.

That's a nifty little setup... :D

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Got my replacement book, all stamped up and signed including the PDI from point of sale, all done by the selling dealer & sent on to me by the guys who sold me the car, what great service from a non-franchised small business considering they had my money already!  :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal