Fit a Polarising Filter to your Dash Cam

AlanHo · 16 · 9587

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
This is a demonstration of the use of a circular polarising filter on your dash-cam.

I have a new  DOD LS300W dash cam and a 27mm circular polarising filter (bought separately) which are a good combination.  I intend to demote my present DOD F520 to the rear window if  the new camera lives up to expectations.

The lens housing on the camera is 29 mm diameter.

The filter has a 27 mm diameter thread then a grooved shoulder 30 mm diameter then a 30 mm diameter housing for the filter that can be rotated 360 degrees.

Now take some black electrical insulating tape and cut a piece 8 mm wide by about 180 mm long. Hold the filter with the thread towards the camera lens and wrap the tape around both to hold them together. Be careful to not let the tape overlap the rotating filter mount. I have used blue tape to show you the final result.

Now mount the camera using the supplied mount in the car – mine fits nicely behind the rear view mirror with the power lead tucked into the head lining and down the A pillar to the underside of the dash, where it is fed across to the cigar lighter socket.

You now need to adjust the polarising filter to minimise reflections in the windscreen. This video shows the effect – but would have been more impressive if it had been a sunny day – and not late evening at sunset when it was raining.

My new DOD LS300W arrived today and I have yet to be able to use it on the open road in bright daylight. I took it for a brief spin in dull rainy conditions and have found that the picture quality to be significantly better in these conditions than my DOD F520 camera. However – the new camera has a much wider lens – 140 compared with 120 on the F520 – which means the vehicles are smaller in the picture. The new camera picks up reg numbers in vehicles being followed fine – but the reg numbers of approaching vehicles are not legible. Whether this is because of the wider angle lens or the poor light and rain I have yet to determine. Watch this space – but it might be months before we see any sun again.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Nice one alan.

Can't wait but it may be a long wait, to see the effect when it is sunny
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Thanks Alan, a great combination there.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I am using the DOD LS300W now for my work and I love it, but this is worth considering.
Where do I get a polarising filter from?  :undecided:
Not sure if I need one as my camera is mounted high and not subject to dash reflections so much though.
I still haven't really tested mine at night but when I do I'll post some video.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Polarising fiter?

Is that something like and energy polariser?

That'll get the Poms guessing (or diving for Google). :victory:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I Googled for 27mm Circular polarising filter and found one from a camera shop.  Mine is Japanese AICO

My camera is as high as I can get it behind the mirror without the dark banding at the top of the screen intruding. But it still picks up dashboard reflections.

I just had a twiddle on au. google.................

http://www.myshopping.com.au/PT--279_Digital_Camera_Filters_Hoya_Circular_Polarizers_27mm__fs_3672_78037_78152_e__

http://www.discountcameras.com.au/view_product_mobile/31692

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/Filters-/15216/i.html?Circular%2520Size=27%2520mm&_dmpt=AU_Filters&Filter%2520Effects=Polarizing

Offline Geothe50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sandringham, VIC
Here is a hyperlink and thread on the Polarising Filter topic that may be of interest http://forum.dashcamtalk.com/threads/polarizing-filter-to-reduce-windshield-dashboard-reflections.2343/
It also talks about using 3D Printing technology to make a filter adapter  :goodjob2:
  • Subaru Forester, i30 Elite 1.8L Petrol Auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Working on this challenge at the moment, too. Can't find a suitable filter for my camera, all way too big. Working on a sneaky workaround ATM, could be a very simple inexpensive solution, too.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Lens out of a cheap pair of kids polarised sunglasses (like the ones used for watching passive 3D TV)  :idea:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes, that is my solution, get the glasses from the cinema and cut away.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yes, that is my solution, get the glasses from the cinema and cut away.

or buy them from ebay very cheaply...  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Sorry guys - you have to use a circular polariser on a camera lens. Linear polarisers will not work effectively.  Although they're both physically round, a linear variety can effect the autofocus or metering accuracy of a digital camera.

Even with a circular polariser, it is necessary to use a rotating mount. I find that the position of the lens needs to be turned to suit bright and gloomy weather conditions to get the best result.

I s'pose its worth the experiment - but photography pundits preach the above mantra.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
But that would cost money. I did some filming this arvo, but haven't got to looking at it yet. You're correct of course. I held the lens toward reflected light off the road and the rotated it. I was able to remove the glare, but whether that works on the camera, who knows. Just experimenting at this stage.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
CP filters can cut glare but drop the light up to about 1.3 stops. You need to rotate the filter to get the best balance between the desired result and loss of light. Cranking it up all the way is not always the best use of the filter.

Lens Filters « Keith and Joan's Gallery
Polarizing filter (photography) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal