uloola · 45 · 14899

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That is a fair point Rusty..

I guess some feel it is a bit rude to post a question and not come back for the answers... (but they may have many valid reasons for that) Lost the link, lost their pasword, been i'll, gone on holidays without internet access...

...died, got divorced, missus left him, kids got arrested, dog ran away, mother-in-law came back.......
The list is endless.

Nuff said.. Now where is Pip.... :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

I guess some feel it is a bit rude to post a question and not come back for the answers... (but they may have many valid reasons for that) Lost the link, lost their pasword, been i'll, gone on holidays without internet access...

...died, got divorced, missus left him, kids got arrested, dog ran away, mother-in-law came back.......
The list is endless.

Pretty sure Pip has done a runner  :confused:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The list is endless.

Pretty sure Pip has done a runner  :confused:

Just a lover's tiff..  :coolingoff: (I've got his email addy I'll contact him in a day or two)

Don't anyone but me make any tasteless jokes in the meantime OK  :Cuppa:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Don't anyone but me make any tasteless jokes in the meantime OK  :Cuppa:

Geez that's a bit unfair,bit like a full bladder "not sure I'll be able to hold it in "  :question:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
OK I feel like the Pommie villain here,  I wasn't gonna get myself further in the crap so tell Pip I'm sorry and I hope he comes back.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

OK I feel like the Pommie villain here,  I wasn't gonna get myself further in the crap so tell Pip I'm sorry and I hope he comes back.

..and for that you have been banished to Van Diemen's Land (for a visit)  :winker:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

:goodjob2:  Nice gesture.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I hope that Pip comes back. I always valued his perspective and comments on all things i30...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I hope that Pip comes back. I always valued his perspective and comments on all things i30...
I have sent him an email (time will tell I guess)  :sweating:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Luckily Kevin didn't see all this as far as I know...

He just replied to my PM and this is what he said (He was happy for me to quote him)

Hi there. I have had no problems since the last post.However,I have been doing some research on the American incidences of the throttle sticking open and after the National Transportation Safety Board investigations and theNational Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that there was no mechanical cause and put the various instances down to driver error.They even passed the problem on to NASA who drilled down into the software and could find no fault.
However a Professor David Gilbert at the Southern Illinois University was able to induce a fault that caused an electronic throttle opening  without it registering on the Diagnostic Trouble Code in the cars software or putting the car into limp home mode.He testified both Congress.
The famous "Computer Glitch"seems to be a cover all nowadays for something that can't be explained.
In my three instances I was moving off from the lights and using more throttle than normal, in the first instance, I pushed the brake pedal and that solved the problem but on the other two occasions braking had no effect even after blipping the pedal several times, as in the old days with a mechanical cable that had not had enough lubrication and this would solve the trouble, and I put the auto into neutral and quickly turned the ignition key to the first stop so as to turn the engine off but not activate the steering lock.I did not want to turn the key off whilst the car was still in Drive because I though that might freak the computer out and it would shut down the car completely and have to have the car towed to the dealer.
As I said in my last post I was advised by a highly respected expert in the field and he advised me to change the throttle position sensor,as  i have had no recurrence as yet I'm just waiting to see what happens next.Another possibility is condensation on the mother board,but that's just my guess.
As an aside I used to drive a two year old Iveco semi trailer which was an automatic,what bliss !,and the engine would stop accelerating even when the pedal was being pushed down but of course the fault was intermittent.My boss eventually had me take it back to the dealer and they changed the pedal box unit which solve the issue.So may be that could be the cause.  I had a serious accident in that truck,which was not my fault,the cause was the client not loading a shipping container properly and the truck literally fell onto it's side whilst I was doing five klm, luckily I had witnesses to back that up but my boss was advised that eye witnesses are not conclusive.He tried to obtain the information from the truck computer.Legally he owns the truck and therefore the info on the chip.The dealer said the they could not retrieve the data and would have to send ti back to the factory in Italy but the factory reckon they own the data and washed their hands of it.Eventually the client was found to be at fault but the Roads and Traffic Authority refused to prosecute,I have no doubt if it had been may fault I would be facing several serious charges.Also the airbags did not deploy and the engine did not automatically shut down so the data which records the speed etc at the time of the rollover was not recorded so my bosses efforts to obtain the record may have been futile.Legally it's a gray area as far as the access to the data is concerned as many drivers have tried to prove at what speed they were doing when the air bags were deployed but the car companies will release the info.
Thanks for your interest in this matter,If you have any Questions on this mammoth post please let me know.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That's a big reply, which indicates that those involved (me included), were insensitive to say the least. :-[

However, if NASA can't find fault, it is a very disturbing situation.  :Dunno:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

However, if NASA can't find fault, it is a very disturbing situation.  :Dunno:

Not like it's rocket science or anything  :snigger:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
interesting, i wonder what the DP chip worked like? it's a tuning box , set up by Berrima Diesel for Australian conditions. but this is first i've seen on an i30. seen one other post on one fitted to a Focus 2.0 crd guy was happy.
wonder if the car had Cruise Control?

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Bit like the sticking gear problem I had a while ago,no one accept myself and Sue experienced it,but does that mean it was not there,funny how they changed and topped the gear oil up to the correct level,the problem has never shown it's ugly head again,makes you wonder about these things.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal