i30 Owners Club

engine getting hot

bobbyd · 47 · 13488

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
I have an ultra gauge installed on my crdi I30.  its a great little unit giving all sorts of info read outs.  I've noticed that going uphill (as in up the long freeway) the engine temp goes from 85 degrees (thermostat temp) right up to 105 at times on warmer days or even 94 ish on mild days (eg 20 c)

The temp rises very quickly, indicating to me that possibly the thermostat doesn't flow all that well.  The temp goes back to normal as soon as you back off at the top of the hill.  The car is well serviced and had its coolant changed on schedule. The factory temp gauge barely moves but i dont hold faith in that being a good indicator.

Took it to a radiator place and he measured it as a 12mm thick core, reckons its the thinnest radiator he has ever seen on a car and silly given the 46mm tanks.

Anyone else noticed increasing temps going uphill? 

Anyone replaced radiator or thermostat ?

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Ive noticed the same thing with my scangauge II. when the temp goes up into 100+ the gauge in the dash doesn't move what so ever.  :Shocked:  the average normal temp is about 84,but Ive seen the temp hit 108.  :sweating:  turning on the aircon makes the temp go down to normal,but only due to the aircon condenser fan.  :eek:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Could the coolant temp be sourced from 2 different sensors  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Is there a danger that scan gauges and their brethren cause you to worry about things they reveal that would not be a problem otherwise?... :scared:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i can remember reading a post about an i30 dropping a radiator hose and it loosing its coolant. the owner noted the temp gauge only going to the half mark and no higher. he mentioned that the only reason he knew something wasn't normal was the very hot smell of his car when he parked his car in garage. he looked under the bonnet and found the expansion tank empty and also the radiator. the next morning he checked where the water had been lost from and found a radiator hose had somehow come off.  :sweating: :scared:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
both the ultra gauge and scangauge II plug into the OBD port under the dash. the readings they display are direct from the ECU.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
both the ultra gauge and scangauge II plug into the OBD port under the dash. the readings they display are direct from the ECU.

The question then is - where is the sensor the ECU depends upon and is it the same one as is used by the temperature gauge?
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I figured the ECU would have that info, but does the info come from the standard temp sender, or somewhere else. Temp is an important factor in determining the amount of fuel the injectors deliver. The ECU needs to know what the engine temp is doing more precisely than the driver. So the ECU could be accurate and the driver info, very average, although duplication would add cost and complexity. Don't know why they would do that.  :undecided:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
on my 2.0 petrol engine the water temp sender unit is on the cylinder head,on Bobbyd's 1.6 crdi I'm fairly sure its also on the head.  :undecided: but there could be another one on the engine block or on the radiator.  :undecided:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Normal for any motor to get a bit hotter when under load like pulling up a big hill. HP generates heat.

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
I know a way of cooling it down better...hehe!!  Do what they used to do in the 90's with the old Comodores;  Take the grills off !! haha!! so there are huge holes letting the air in with no decorative grills to impede the flow! lol I would certainly work but make the car look horrible!

People often do it to older cars when they are giong out west towing trailers etc....
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
What about birds & stones  :eek:

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

You just pull them out! lol  One doesnt normally follow too much traffic out west?
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
One way to cool your engine down is to put on full heat and cabinfan on full throttle.

It's not nice, but it cools down the engine pretty fast.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
that works.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

They say to do that any time you notice  your car overheating, yes. Before you stop and promptly turn the engine off lol
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

ANOTHER thing is to CHECK YOUR WATER frequently! My work colleagues have this warped perception that the mechanic only needs to do it every 6 months or whenever they go to the mechanic.  I challenged them both and they allowed me to open their bonnets on their three cars. ALL three needed water. I could see the core of the radiator DRY in two of them! They took about a LITRE of water each. A litre isn't dramatic but it means there are airlocks going around the engine. The engine should be full of water.... not empty! haha! THAT causes a HOT ENGINE!
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
ANOTHER thing is to CHECK YOUR WATER frequently! My work colleagues have this warped perception that the mechanic only needs to do it every 6 months or whenever they go to the mechanic.  I challenged them both and they allowed me to open their bonnets on their three cars. ALL three needed water. I could see the core of the radiator DRY in two of them! They took about a LITRE of water each. A litre isn't dramatic but it means there are airlocks going around the engine. The engine should be full of water.... not empty! haha! THAT causes a HOT ENGINE!

They may now all sue you when their greatly diluted antifreeze/anti corrosion fails to do the job  :eek: :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

They may now all sue you when their greatly diluted antifreeze/anti corrosion fails to do the job  :eek: :whistler:

Can't see the problem myself.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

It could be worse than that too. If there were any deposits in the coolant, they goto the core of the radiator and through heat solidify into little rocks. this will block the core and reduce radiator efficiency.  :fum:

" I challenged them both (2) and they allowed me to open their bonnets on their three cars." :wacko:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Please be aware bryanj86 we are just joshing with you  :winker:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
No offence meant, bryanj86  :(

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

HAHAHA!! I know! hehe!  Sorry... It was over the period of two day. two ladies, three cars. The first day was each of their cars then the second day i asked again one of the same ladies who had her husbands car that next day. So all THREE cars were low on water. I told them it was low and they should see a mechanic lol
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :goodjob2: :goodjob: :mrgreen:

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
Has anyone seen the temperature gauge rise above normal due to low water or other problems?  Just curious to see if they can be relied on to indicate an issue . . .
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Has anyone seen the temperature gauge rise above normal due to low water or other problems?  Just curious to see if they can be relied on to indicate an issue . . .

Feedback on here is they aren't very indicative of actual temperatures (at least in the FD anyway)

I.E. increases in Temp picked up by Scan gauge (and the like) not necessarily mirrored on the dash readout  :confused:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
It might be reassuring to have the temp gauge showing it never gets hot, but it's not very reassuring to know it probably won't tell you even if it does.
I thought that the other day when I was driving around in 40+ degree heat and the temp gauge didn't budge.
I thought gee, that's good, or bad.  :confused:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
This isn't something that is confined to Hyundai cars, I experienced similar issues with a previous car. It had actually developed a small leak in a radiator hose, and the engine was overheating a bit. It was only because coolant fluid was observed on the engine shroud that the leak was detected and fixed.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
This topic is a good example of the advantage of digital information over analogue display.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Unless it's getting dangerously hot, does the average driver really need to know more?  :undecided:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal