i30 Owners Club

45000Km service cost

Xorms · 3 · 2183

Offline Xorms

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Hi guys,

I've just dropped off my car for it's 45000km service, and after being quoted the cost, I had to inquire as to why it was so expensive.  I was told that 45000 was a "major" service, and was given a list of what would be done.  I was told two hours for labour, and apart from having oil and 'engine fluid' (coolant?) changed, the only other item included was a replacement oil filter.  I was also told the cost included 2 hours labour.

~$495 total.  Let's say $100/hr labour (being generous), that leaves $295 for a couple of fluids and an oil filter.  This seems really steep to me, can anybody here give me an insight as to the value of this service, as the man at the centre certainly couldn't.  I tried to ask (several times) what a "major service" would cost/include if someone brought a car in for an unscheduled service, but they're clever at dodging and maneuvering around my questions.

TL;DR, is $495 a fair price for 2 hours labour, replacement oil, oil filter, and engine fluid?

EDIT: That's $495 Australian (Perth)
  • 2010 i30cw Trophy

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I took my car to a local mechanic, and saved $290 on the "quoted" price.  I am still covered by the Hyundai warranty too.  Some people do prefer to pay the extra money to take their cars to a dealer, personal choice.  But $290 buys a lot of beer!!

So, in short, no, I don't think $495 is a fair price for that service.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Stuff that should have been replaced are:
  • Engine oil & filter
  • Air cleaner
  • Sparkplugs
When I had the 45,000k service on my diesel, they also replaced the radiator coolant...  :undecided:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal