i30 Owners Club

Turbo charge either a 2.0litre petrol or 1.6/4 litre petrol.

awj2005 · 32 · 11925

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
Hi guys ive been going on the net lately to look at turboing my i30.
i found a korean website selling some for like 4 grand but thats without posting.
im just wondering if you guys are as stupid as me, im just wondering if anyone else has got any prices?

cheers
ash

Offline G14Classified101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gosford
Bro no im just as stupid, my aim is to be the first turbo i30 in AUS. With approx 300whp. Im not buying a kit i am buying my self a turbo, intercooler, injectors, fuel pump, engine managment system, gauges, pistons and rods, MAP sensor, BOV and waste gate and then i will get the guys in sydney to make me a custom manifold and custom mandlel bend charge piping and turbo back exhaust. All up i will be looking at $8000, including brake upgrade.

Buddy the brakes on the i30 are shit compared to the other high powered vehicles on the market today, so first start there. Here is my price break down approx.

Brakes: $650
Turbo: $1000-$1500
Intercooler: $400
Engine management: $1500-2000
Injectors: $400
Pump: $100
bov/wastegate/boost controller: $500
pistons/rods: $500
MAP sensor: $80
Clutch: $700
Labour: $2000

Not cheap. think about it before you do it. Also after its done can you afford to rebuild your gear box? it will surely break soon. im sure ive forgotton things, anybody remind me

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
yo,
yeah i know but yeah thats what i would like to do and i would like to do it right the first time, i want a turbo now due to the fact i drove my mates subaru forestor with a sti engine in it a 3 inch all the way back and yeah ever since then i have wanted a turbo.

ive been thinking of upgrading the brakes first for ages but just cant find any updates to it.

cheers
ash

Offline I30Racer

• 2nd Gear

• lu Luxembourg
      Luxembourg

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
yeah i mite just go in and get a subaru wrx or something like that it seems like a cheaper option that going turboing this engine but if ya go ahead mate let me know how easy or hard it is and how smooth it is.

cheers
ash

Offline G14Classified101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gosford
Mate i didnt mean to pursuade you other wise but im planning on turboing the car before christmas at the latest. And and then saving for a gear box to be installed before next christmas. It is just inevitable to get that kind of rush without things breaking.

A few mates with turbo projects ended with big $$$$. One had a cortia with 350whp bought at least 15 gearboxes and changed them at least 1 a month. Another turbo XD falcon smashed 3 diffs and lost 5th gear from his tranny in 6 month period. And a korean guy ive been talking with had a 380whp kia cerato (same engine as ours) 3 gear boxes in 2 months. Spending that kind of cash on boxes can buy a WRX which will go for 100000kms before dieing. Hence why i am turboing the i30 and buying a WRX.

Ill keep everyone posted as to my efforts and the way i do things for reference for anyone who wants to follow. AWJ even if you spent a couple grand and just pump out 180-200 whp thats still double your power output and things should last but with out the AWD punch from a WRX.

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hey g14, a mate of mine just went to talk and there is a turbo i30 up there, wat the guy has dun is gone back to the excel 1.8 motor which is really a mitsubishi motor and he has turboed it and it goes like a rocket, i was going to try and hunt down a 1.8 litre evo motor but a couple of places in perth told me they wont do it so im tempted to go this way, will be letting u guys know what i do but first things first bigger brakes!!!

cheers guys & gals
ash

Offline G14Classified101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gosford
Dont go the 1.8, the 2.0l beta has more torque. I just got quoted $4500 to install my personal built kit and tune it for me.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
I heard a rumour the Genesis coupe is a Theta II - which also happens to be in the Evo X (called a 4G11) or something.  Apparently Mitsu and Chrysler use the Hyundai engine - called a global engine by Chrysler.  Looks like the new Cerato has a Theta II as well

Offline G14Classified101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gosford
It probably does, there is a theta 1.8 theta 2.0 and a theta 2.4 and a theta turbo diesel.

But the cerato come with the 1.5 alpha and 1.6 gamma engines and the 2.0 beta II

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
It appears its only the bottom ends that are common amongst the three manufacturers.  The Mivec system is different to Hyundai's CVVT, so manifolds etc will be different anyway.  (I'm thinking you could have used a Theta II and Evo accessories)  I wonder how easy a Theta II transplant into an i30 is?  Knowing Hyundai they wont upgrade the engine in the i30 to a Theta II until its due for a total car upgrade probably around 2012.  Maybe we will start seeing some hot Ceratos around once upgrade parts for the Genesis become available.

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
Hey g14,
is that including you buying the parts aswell?
if so thats a steal i reckon. if ya could could u tell me what type of parts e.g brand names nd things like that. cause as u said the 2.0 litre is better hence i need to start saving lol well i'll get there some day.

cheers
ash

Offline G14Classified101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gosford
Ash no thats just labour. Parts will cost around 4000 ive been shopping around. But for quality im budgeting 5000. I dont get my blacks until july so i will start buying parts soon but cant get it done till im off my P's

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hey g14, what are blacks? sorry i dnt understand, i have another 7 months till im off my P's but i just want a quick car, but im going to be taking it back to a stock look and make it look like a sleeper.

so 4 gran for labour, but how much for all the parts together?

cheers
ash

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
Hey g14, good luck with the turbo, im pulling out and not doing a turbo im just going to stick with the na 2litre and do some minor mods onto it and see if i can bring it up to where i would like it, im not after huge numbers but i mite be buying another vechile soon so i'll be doing so major things to that..

gd luck mate and let us know how it goes.

cheers
ash

Offline G14Classified101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gosford
Blacks is what us NSWers call our full licence.

Um you can get some numbers from a crazy NA job. nice intake cams, retuned ecu etc.

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hey thats what i'll be doing after ive saved a bit of money... cept i'll have ta travel all the way to perth for it (cheaper than getting it done where i live) but yeah she (the car) will get there in the end atm im just working on mi sound system. making custom sub boxes for the back of the hyundai. so yeah im a bit busy atm so if i dnt reply thats y.

cheers
ash

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Looks like this plan died an early death then, unless an update arrives in the next10 days or so... Pipe Dream I say...
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Looks like this plan died an early death then, unless an update arrives in the next10 days or so... Pipe Dream I say...

From comments since (elsewhere on the site) I get the impression it is not cost effective to turbocharge the petrol engines.. Thousands of $$$ rather than hundreds and then you have the Warranty and Insurance issues to address..PLUS you would then need to upgrade your brakes and hope the rest of the drivetrain (Clutch, Transmission etc..) coped ok with the extra stress...

Cheers Party Pooper
(AKA Dazz)  :rolleyes:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo

From comments since (elsewhere on the site) I get the impression it is not cost effective to turbocharge the petrol engines.. Thousands of $$$ rather than hundreds and then you have the Warranty and Insurance issues to address..PLUS you would then need to upgrade your brakes and hope the rest of the drivetrain (Clutch, Transmission etc..) coped ok with the extra stress...

Cheers Party Pooper
(AKA Dazz)  :rolleyes:

Absolutely! Always seems to be asked on a lot of forums (forai...fora...??) These days adding a turbo is far too complex.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Cheers Party Pooper
(AKA Dazz)  :rolleyes:

Absolutely! Always seems to be asked on a lot of forums (forai...fora...??) These days adding a turbo is far too complex.

That's why the CRDi is so popular I think.. If you want a turbo petrol .. better off buying a good 2nd hard WRX or something (Although I like the i30 better)  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

mick55

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ricer :mrgreen:

The i30 is a very good car for what it was designed to do. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear :lol:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 there's lots of people on this site that could be classed as a RICER,even myself.  :scared:  :rofl:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Seoul-mate

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Me thinks Mick is a little bit ricist.
  • i30 1.6 Diesel (03/08- 09/12), MB B200 (09/12 -->)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :confused: :o

Offline G14Classified101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gosford
Hey guys, sorry ive been gone for ages.... Um yeah the plan died!!! Buying a second car was a better option than turboing my i30. So yeah... Ima try get back on the forums more regulary too.

Chris

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :goodjob: :razz:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal