i30 Owners Club

Rear wheel alignment

Offline kenny210411

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Hi I have a 2013 diesel i30 and do approximately 460 kms per week driving from one side of Adelaide to the other and with each tank of fuel it gets better fuel economy last fill 837 kms 45 litres averaged 5.1 litres per 100kms according to the computer. I have had the car for 4 months and clocked up 6300 kms.
The only problem that I have with it is that the rear end can not be wheel aligned as this model has no adjustment and it tracks 4.5mm toe out. No sure how to rectify this problem, the hyundai dealer advised me to rotate the tyres more often.
Any Suggestions?
  • 2013 Elite i30 Diesel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
@ ~ 6k, how have you determined the 4.5mm toe out. Are there signs of tyre wear already  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :wttc:

I'm not sure what advice to give there other than I have the Active GD as well and my tyres are wearing evenly.
I can't tell the difference in the way it drives from my previous FD which had the independent set up.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
@ ~ 6k, how have you determined the 4.5mm toe out. Are there signs of tyre wear already  :question:
Great Question
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Kenny

:wttc:

On the old model, FD, it's possible to adjust the toe, but not the camber.

If the rear is not adjustable and the car is only 4 month old, there must be something wrong with the car unless you have hit something, of course.

Have you had a wheel alignment done...?
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline kenny210411

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
2013 Elite i30 No Signs of wear yet, just have to keep rotating the tyres..I always get my cars wheel aligned after the 5 - 6000 kms, My son works as a tyre fitter so that makes things pretty easy. The Hyundai dealer wheel aligned it the same week and  reckons its within there specifications....4.5mm toe out ( I dont think so ) I know how to fit it but its not my job to tell them how to,  Lets see what Hyundai Australia say when I get time to get stuck into them...Still drives straight down the road. This car hasnt hit anything the mags are like new, not a mark or scratch.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:33:33 by kenny210411 »
  • 2013 Elite i30 Diesel

Offline kenny210411

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
UPDATE 11/2

This is the email sent to Hyundai Aust. Technical Service

Hi, I have purchased a 2013 elite i30 diesel, my problem is that I have had it wheel aligned 2 times in one week, once by Bridgestone and the other 3 days after by .............Hyundai Dealer SA 5014 they have both told me that the rear alignment is 4.5mm toe out.
My questions
1. Is this within the manufactures specifications?
2. What can be done to fix this problem?
My car has not been hit in the rear or have any damage caused by gutters.
The Dealership where it was purchased, the service manager they have seen other problems like this and advised me to rotate the tyres more often.
Waiting your Reply

MY Reply from Hyundai Aust,

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Customer Care.
Unfortunately Customer Care ( Technical)  doesn’t provide technical assistance to advise on repairs for our range of vehicles. The question you have asked should be directed to the Hyundai Dealer SA 5014 where you bought it from, or any  other authorised Hyundai dealership.

MY car is now booked in at another Hyundai dealership where they were prepared to do as much as possible to help me out.
Funny the service manager said they had not seen any of these problems, and is keen to investigate.
  • 2013 Elite i30 Diesel

Offline kyle0968

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
UPDATE 11/2

This is the email sent to Hyundai Aust. Technical Service

Hi, I have purchased a 2013 elite i30 diesel, my problem is that I have had it wheel aligned 2 times in one week, once by Bridgestone and the other 3 days after by .............Hyundai Dealer SA 5014 they have both told me that the rear alignment is 4.5mm toe out.
My questions
1. Is this within the manufactures specifications?
2. What can be done to fix this problem?
My car has not been hit in the rear or have any damage caused by gutters.
The Dealership where it was purchased, the service manager they have seen other problems like this and advised me to rotate the tyres more often.
Waiting your Reply

MY Reply from Hyundai Aust,

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Customer Care.
Unfortunately Customer Care ( Technical)  doesn’t provide technical assistance to advise on repairs for our range of vehicles. The question you have asked should be directed to the Hyundai Dealer SA 5014 where you bought it from, or any  other authorised Hyundai dealership.

MY car is now booked in at another Hyundai dealership where they were prepared to do as much as possible to help me out.
Funny the service manager said they had not seen any of these problems, and is keen to investigate.

Hyundai Customer "care" could've had the courtesy to forward your query to the right department...

anyhow, i have been contemplating to get my car's wheel alignment measured as well... As i have noticed from day 1 that it wasnt as stable on highway speeds as i expect it to be.  which i reckon could be a just simple toe-in adjustment. 

Would watch out for updates on this thread

• GD i30 active petrol

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
You'd think any decent wheel alignment workshop would know the correct specs by now as the GD has been out for a fair while.....  :undecided:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
When you had the alignment done didn't you get a report with before and after Measurements...? ...and of course the spec's stated as well to compare the result with...?

I would never have an alignment done without getting this.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline kenny210411

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
My son wheel aligned my car the first time and I have before and after reports for both places and they are the same.

• 2013 Elite i30 Diesel

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
You say that it tracks 4.5mm toe out and 2 alignments agree on that.

What should the toe be according to spec...?
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal