Battery Failures on ISG Equipped Cars

AlanHo · 11 · 3166

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Apologies if this has been on before but it is important...........

There are a number of posts on the KIA forum where the ISG on cars has not been operating due to low battery voltage.

Many incidents have been the result of owners and even dealers jump starting the car with a commercial jump start unit - it damages the battery and sometimes blows the voltage sensor.  ISG rated batteries cost more than twice as much as standard ones - so it is an expensive error.

I had a chat with my contact at the Hyundai dealers and he confirmed that it is a problem they have met a few times - but their mechanics are well aware of the problem.

So if you have a car with ISG - please take note .

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Does it also include jump starting with help from another car... :question:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Does it also include jump starting with help from another car... :question:

I am no expert but I wouldn't think so. The other car battery is unlikely to shove out 14.0 volts and 100 or more amps like commercial jump starters are capable of.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the warning Alan. I'm unlikely to need to use it, but I have a jump starter. I think I will keep it away from my Hybrid as well!  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
"ISG batteries cost 2x the price of a standard battery" What a great idea ISG is.  :(

It's been a problem since computers have been fitted to cars actually. The surge from the donor battery can damage the electronics apparently. Also, it would be quite possible for a surge of 14v to be passed to the receiving vehicle.

When connecting to a flat battery vehicle, my engine is already running, so I don't have to crank my motor while the juice is being sucked out by the connected flat battery. However, this means that 13.5+ volts are available plus the current output of the already performing alternator. For modern vehicles, I always turn the parking lights on, (sounds silly doesn't it), but any surge flows through them.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:34:28 by Phil №❶ »
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

For modern vehicles, I always turn the parking lights on, (sounds silly doesn't it), but any surge flows through them.

Do you leave a window open to prevent the sudden increase in cabin pressure from blowing the windows out....... :whistler:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:35:59 by Phil №❶ »

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

For modern vehicles, I always turn the parking lights on, (sounds silly doesn't it), but any surge flows through them.

Great idea but I'm not 100% sure as to which vehicle you refer to; the flat or the running :neutral:
I assume it's the running ?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:36:28 by Phil №❶ »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
No, the flat.

The battery in the running vehicle is not under any undue stress. When the final connection is made to a negative post (well away from the battery), there will be a spark and a surge of current from both the running car battery and working alternator. You can hear the field coils in the alternator and the running motor will slow a little as it begins to charge the flat battery. Once the connections are made, the load can be switched off to provide maximum starting power.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Notice,  Fan has been replaced with parking lights. Most cars would require the ignition to be on to activate the fan and this is the last thing we want.  :head_butt:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal