i30 Owners Club

What's under warranty and what's not?

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Hi all,

September last year I had the whole clutch assembly and thrust bearing replaced under warranty.

On 2 occasions during the last 2 weeks I have had a squealing noise on a hill starts.  This only happened on warm days.  It sounds like the thrust bearing, but I cannot replicate the noise.

I have tried putting the handbrake on, and doing a hill start, but the noise doesn't happen.

According to the local HY dealer, the clutch only has a 12 months warranty.  I looked through all the documentation I received with the car, and there is nothing mentioned about specific items that are not covered by the 5 year warranty. 

If the clutch only has a 12 months warranty, does this include the thrust bearing?

Just doing some research before contacting HY to let them know.  Basically if they are right, then I am 2 weeks out of warranty.  I guess they would wait until it makes the noise more regularly as they wouldn't be able to replicate it.

Thanks.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The clutch is a tricky one, because it can be subject to abuse / wear and tear.. Not suggesting that is the case on this occasion though..

Most manufacturers limit the warranty coverage on their clutches for that reason.

Good luck with it!

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
You have a very limited warranty on the clutch components, although if your clutch pedal is adjusted correctly your thrust bearing shouldn't be a problem under warranty. The clutch plate itself is the short warranty.

It will all depend on what the concern is and how willing your dealer is to investigate the case (alot would rather tell you no warranty, pay us to do it)
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Throw the words 'Not fit for purpose' at them.

They cannot get around statutory warranty, which requires them to make a product that lasts for an amount of time that is reasonable.

So long as you haven't been driving like it was stolen or driven a million miles it is reasonable to expect the clutch will last longer than 12 months, hence they are obligated to fix whatever is wrong with it.

The ACCC can provide further assistance as to your rights (and even start an investigation on your behalf).
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Thanks guys for you info.

Is any of these "short" warranties (ie shorter than the 5 years warranty) specified anywhere in any of the books that you received when you bought your car?

The only thing that is mentioned in my Service and Warranty Passbook is a 3 year warranty on paint.

Or is there a list of items that are not covered by warranty or regarded as wear and tear items?

In my eyes if these are not mentioned, then they are covered by the 5 year warranty.  Would be interesting what the ACCC says about this.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks guys for you info.

Is any of these "short" warranties (ie shorter than the 5 years warranty) specified anywhere in any of the books that you received when you bought your car?

The only thing that is mentioned in my Service and Warranty Passbook is a 3 year warranty on paint.

Or is there a list of items that are not covered by warranty or regarded as wear and tear items?

In my eyes if these are not mentioned, then they are covered by the 5 year warranty.  Would be interesting what the ACCC says about this.
Pretty sure there are a few listed somewhere. I know I've read them.
And if there was a problem, you can bet the ACCC would have been on it long before this.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline StuMac

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Croydon
IFAIK a clutch plate replacement is typically on a car service schedule somewhere. I can't seem to find it for Hyundai but I remember it being on there for some of my older cars usually around the 60,000mile area.

If you have done around 60k miles, you will have a lot of issues getting it on warrantee as the clutch plate is considered a consumable like brake pads. However if it was recently changed / new and lasted significantly less than that then you may have a good argument.

If it is any other clutch component such as the release plate, bearings, and so on then they are not consumable items and should be covered under warrantee
  • 2012 i30 5 Door Hatch, 1.6 Diesel CDRi, Auto, White

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
IFAIK a clutch plate replacement is typically on a car service schedule somewhere. I can't seem to find it for Hyundai but I remember it being on there for some of my older cars usually around the 60,000mile area.

Must have been many, many years ago.  :whistler:

A clutch, or part of it, will never be replaced with fixed intervals. On most cars you can't even take a look at the clutch without removing the gearbox. Only exception is clutch fluid, off course.

Most clutches today last the life of the car.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I agree. I've never heard of it either - and I'm pretty old.  :disapp:

As you say, clutch FLUID makes sense.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Hrm.

Ok. So the clutch is never mentioned in the service schedule (only fluid is).

And looking at the link that eye30 posted, point 8 of General Exceptions only metion clutch friction lining.  Nothing about thrust bearing or anything else to do with the clutch components, or any bearings for that matter.  However they did use that phrase "but not limited to"....

Oh well, we will see what happens with time and if the noise happens more regularly.  I've only done 15,000km since they replaced the clutch anyway.

Thanks for your help guys.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline StuMac

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Croydon

I feel old then  :eek:

I used to change clutches on my old Mk2 Fiesta XR2's and that was only an 80's car.

But then again, it get get abused a lot at the traffic light Grand Prix... I mean perfectly controlled environment drag strips  :whistler:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 22:07:24 by Phil №❶ »
  • 2012 i30 5 Door Hatch, 1.6 Diesel CDRi, Auto, White

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

I feel old then  :eek:

I used to change clutches on my old Mk2 Fiesta XR2's and that was only an 80's car.

But then again, it get get abused a lot at the traffic light Grand Prix... I mean perfectly controlled environment drag strips  :whistler:

That's most likely due to the use of the car and not a scheduled replacement.... :whistler:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal