PiL · 9 · 4005

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
Hello All,
Just wondering if anyone has a nice portable DAB+ receiver for their car. Everything I've come across is quite bulky and I cant find something I could just chuck in the centre console. Bluetooth connectivity would be a bonus but just as easy to plug in the aux I suppose. Also powering from the 12V jack would be handy.
I cant figure out why there aren't heaps of these on the market... surely there is a big market for them as most car companies dont yet include DAB+ as standard.

Also I know smartphones can use apps and such, but they use download quota to stream from online. I want to pick up free-to-air DAB+.

Any help would be much appreciated.
  • GDe i30 tourer elite diesel

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I know of a professional fitted version but it's not portable unfortunately :link: Connects2 CTDAB-1 DAB Digital radio | The Car Kit Company
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 05:02:06 by CraigB »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sangean have some small portable one's that can also use 12volt :link: Sangean DPR-34 Digital Radio - (4.85)RYDA DAB Radios  not sure if they come with a car charger though but if it's 12volt capable then something should be available, you could even make your own charger with a visit to Jaycar.

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
I just can't get over how few options there are out there. True,  DAB+ hasnt taken off here but it will. Maybe I just need to be patient a little bit longer...
  • GDe i30 tourer elite diesel

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It's still pretty much in the experimental and testing stages. And useless outside the city.
They sell the things up here on the Sunshine Coast, but there's no reception.  :Shocked:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Same here in Tassie, Trev.  They sell them in the shops, but there aren't any transmitters down here yet!   :head_butt:

They must sell them on the hope that people don't know what they are buying, or don't do their research first.

Offline WxmJax

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North of Watford
Don't know if these will work where you are regarding the frequencies but I have just bought one from Halfords. The separate magnetic aerial is really good, you can find them both on ebay as well. The only problem I'm going to have now is how to how to fit the cable through the car. Plugs into the 12v cigarette lighter and has it's own holder similar to the sat nav ones. About 100mm by 60mm.

:link: Halfords | Sonichi S100 Digital Radio Adaptor

:link: Halfords | Sonichi Magnetic Roof Mount DAB Antenna

• 2013 GD 1.6 110ps man diesel estate.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Don't know if these will work where you are regarding the frequencies but I have just bought one from Halfords. The separate magnetic aerial is really good, you can find them both on ebay as well. The only problem I'm going to have now is how to how to fit the cable through the car. Plugs into the 12v cigarette lighter and has it's own holder similar to the sat nav ones. About 100mm by 60mm.

:link: Halfords | Sonichi S100 Digital Radio Adaptor

:link: Halfords | Sonichi Magnetic Roof Mount DAB Antenna

Hey, that is pretty neat.. nice find! :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The only problem I'm going to have now is how to fit the cable through the car. Plugs into the 12v cigarette lighter and has it's own holder similar to the sat nav ones.

I take it you're referring to the antenna cable.

The power cable is easy in my FD, just piggybacked behind one of the cigarette lighter supplies and routed up behind the head unit to the top pocket for my GPS. :victory:

I suppose you might want to do some (perhaps extended) looming of the antenna cable through the centre console and to the back window for a good look. :confused:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal