i30 Owners Club

6 Speed Manual Gearbox Oil Change

Guest · 6 · 9416

Jordie
6 Speed Manual Gearbox Oil Change

1) Jack and support the vehicle as required. Remove several bolts from the undertray/splash guard and remove guard.

2) Locate and remove the 17mm headed drain bolt on the gearbox. Shown in photos below. Place suitable catch container under the vehicle and lower the vehicle to the ground to ensure all the oil is drained from the gearbox.

3) Once fully drained, replace the bolt and tighten. Now locate the filler bolt located more towards the front of the vehicle, as photo below.

4) Photo for reference. Drain bolt at the rear of the box and filler bolt closer to the front.

5) Now you need to get the new fluid in. I use a syphon pump tool thing, sucking the fluid from the bottle and then injecting it into the filler hole using the hose on the tool. This method allows you to put in the correct amount or very close, without much mess. You can use this method with the vehicle jacked up for access, but lower the vehicle to ground level so any overfilled fluid can dribble out of the filler hole. Once the dribble has stopped, replace the filler bolt and tighten.

5b) Alternatively you can use a funnel and long hose and fill from the engine bay. You can do this with the vehicle on the ground. Place a suitable size hose down through the engine bay and insert the end into the gearbox filler hole. Place a funnel on the end of the hose now sticking out of the engine bay and pour your new fluid in. Once the fluid is dribbling back out of the filler hole, it is filled to the required level. Allow excess to dribble out and then replace the bolt and tighten.

I hope that helps anyone looking to carry out this maintenance on their vehicle.

Jordie
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 20:29:17 by Jordie »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Jordie, much appreciated :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Good pictures, great guide, seems easy enough. :)
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline XinZhao

• 3rd Gear

• hr Croatia
how many  km was it on the odometer? how did the old fluid look like compared to new? is the bolt magnetised and was there any metal particles on it?

I'm thinking of changing it at 150 kkm. What is the recommendation from hyundai? Is it a long life oil?
  • i30 1.6 CRDi 66kW with DPF, made 2011. in Czech

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
84k miles is approximately 135k kilometres. ..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
In my book it also say for life, unless you do a lot of towing or mounting driving, then they recommend oil change for every 100,000 km.

I changed oil in mine @ ca 190,000 km and it improved gear change very much.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal