i30 Owners Club

tyres shot - wheel alignment

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
As my steering has been making the 'bag of chisels' rattling, i've noticed just recently that the steering wheel has been shaking a little at speed occasionally.  I knew my front tyres were worn more than the rears so I took it in for a much needed 4 wheel alignment, balance and rotation.  About 10 mins in the guy came back to the waiting room "come and have a look at this" he said.  I was thinking - here we go!  The front tyres have had it, they look reasonable if are looking while the tyres are on, but both inside shoulders are completely gone, which is what was probably causing the shaking due to the tyre no longer being round.  Thankfully the guy put it back together and didnt charge me, I will definitely go back there once I get my 2 new tyres on Monday.  Its booked in for 45k service on Thursday so then it will have 2 new front tyres and an alignment, so no excuse for the steering knock not to be fixed under warranty.  It looks like the factory alignment can be pretty dodgy.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

They look very similar to this post

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,5044.0.html

All I can say is if anyone hasnt had an alignment done from new, do one now it might save you some $$$

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Ben.. I was lucky never had any shake during the life of my first set of tyres they wore very evenly right up to replacement.. 53,000K
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Wheel alignment is supposed to be done as part of the PDI by the dealer, and I suspect some are more dilligent than others.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
They look very similar to this post

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,5044.0.html

All I can say is if anyone hasnt had an alignment done from new, do one now it might save you some $$$

Car 2.5 years old.
Never had check but had a check 2 weeks ago.

No changes needed.
Still A OK from factory.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK
Hi Ben.. I was lucky never had any shake during the life of my first set of tyres they wore very evenly right up to replacement.. 53,000K

WOW Dazzler you must drive the upmost care and attention 53,000kms thats around 33,000mls  :eek:

i30Sean

Offline IMCRZY

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

• Wollongong, NSW, Australia
I have had no trouble as of yet but will be getting an alignment next week due to fitting lowered springs :D

We will see how it goes

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

Maybe its got something to do with rough roads knocking the alignment out?  A few months ago I was travelling on a gravel section behind the water cart keeping the dust down.  The car seemed to dart left and right and back again.  Looking back its probably due to the toe-out, one front wheel stealing preference over the other and vice-versa.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

WOW Dazzler you must drive the upmost care and attention 53,000kms thats around 33,000mls  :eek:

i30Sean

I am 54 this year and have slowed down a lot to how I used to drive  :wink:

Also wary of the many speed cameras down this way.. :'(

But do have the odd "fang" on winding roads (mainly up hill ones..)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

I reckon if my alignment was correct from the start I would have got easy 65k.  Its only the inside shoulders on the fronts that are worn, the rest of the fronts still have a few mm to go until hitting the indicators, the rears have heaps of k's left in them.  Admit it Dazz, you are a bit of a hoon  :D

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i think most of us are.  :lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It's worth keeping a visual check on your front tyres at regular intervals.
Easy enough to do; just park on level ground and put your wheels on full lock then turn off the engine.
You'll find you can easily check over both the inside and outside shoulders for wear or feathering. Don't even have to bend down if you don't want to.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

It's worth keeping a visual check on your front tyres at regular intervals.
Easy enough to do; just park on level ground and put your wheels on full lock then turn off the engine.
You'll find you can easily check over both the inside and outside shoulders for wear or feathering. Don't even have to bend down if you don't want to.

Yeah I know just been lazy.  Also my driveway is a couple of hundred metres of gravel, so by the time I park it in the carport its really hard to gauge the treads.  Anyway I'll be keeping an eye on it a lot more than I have been, naughty me!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal