i30 Owners Club

Brakes too soft

Offline joker_mkd

• 2nd Gear

• mk Macedonia
      Skopje
Hello,

I have almost new 1.4 Petrol with 700km on the clock, I don't know if it only me getting used to the car, but I noticed that during driving my brakes feel much softer than previously. I mean, when I got the car i would just touch the brakes and the car would stop. Brakes were like on/off switch. Now I need to push almost 10cm, although the stopping length is not increased and brakes are still strong, it just feels much softer now. Oh, and a sound could be heard like air coming in and out of a piston or similar.
When the engine is not running the brakes are hard as stone (I guess this is normal due to power assisted braking) and no sound is heard.

Do you think I should call my car dealer?

Thank you...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Joker,

Quite a few of our Members reckon the brakes are very sudden when the car is new and they become less so after a few hundred kilometres of bedding in.. Mine had very good feel from day one and still do after 57,000+ km on original pads...

They are nice and progressive with just moderate pedal pressure needed..

If yours are not like that I believe they need checking (you have nothing to lose..)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline IMCRZY

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

• Wollongong, NSW, Australia
The noise you hear is the brake booster releasing the air which is normal....

& When the car is not running there is no vacuum to operate the booster so the pedal goes hard, When you first switch the car off pump the pedal and it will be soft for the first pump or 2 and then will get harder untill there is no vacuum left

Offline joker_mkd

• 2nd Gear

• mk Macedonia
      Skopje
I guess that is the exact same behavior I experience. Probably brakes got a little bit softer since I bought the car and that is why I panicked :)

Anyway, thanks for quick reply!

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Mine got softer after about 500 miles. Thank god, they were a bit embaressing when just switching on and off!

Pip
I would offer a different answer. If the pedal sinks 10cm I would say that's too far to be normal. You might have air in the system.

The pedal height should not change, as the brakes wear-in, from whatever it was when you first got the car. What would be normal though is that the brakes will slowly become less sensitive with time (and perhaps need a little more pressure to stop) and will be less likely to "grab" as they are applied. My brakes tended to grab for the first 5,000km or so.

Get it checked.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I missed the 10cm reference in the OP. I've not measured it but I'm sure mine is a lot less than that.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
There is only about 9.5 cm between the bottom of the brake pedal and the floor. I think 10 cm might be an exaggeration.
You should get them checked anyway, but I think you should also be aware that brakes in a new car will always feel different. Then, as you gradually become used to them (in effect "training your foot" to the "feel" of them), they will feel different and even if they don't actually get softer, you adapt to the correct pressure. It's all a very subconscious and gradual change.
You would normally notice the difference when you have your worn brakes overhauled too.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I checked and mine start to apply with very little movement of the pedal. Maybe one cm or so. They are still pretty new though, I try not to use them if I can get away with it.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Mine are still short pedal pressure.

Could the pads be wearing out as they are binding?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline joker_mkd

• 2nd Gear

• mk Macedonia
      Skopje
I just returned from the dealer where I had my brakes checked. They said that everything is fine and I shouldn't worry about it. Pedal is a little bit lower than when I purchased it but nothing to be afraid of... At least that is what they say...

We'll see...

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I'd see how it goes for the next week or so.

If not happy take it back again or even try an independent who may do a quick check for free.

If they say possible fault then take it back to Hy dealer and insist on them fixing it or you will contact HY HQ and explain that you will get it fixed and they will be liable for all costs.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I just returned from the dealer where I had my brakes checked. They said that everything is fine and I shouldn't worry about it. Pedal is a little bit lower than when I purchased it but nothing to be afraid of... At least that is what they say...

We'll see...

Does seem a bit weird.. I would be getting a 2nd opinion..

I really like the brakes in my i30 you only have to feather the brakes even when going quite hard to feel some retardation which is very reassuring...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal