i30 Owners Club

DTK diesel tuning - has anyone tried it?

Offline steinrk

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway

• 1.6CRDi U2/6Spd
As a owner of a brand new i30 I have already started looking for a tuning kit (is that a good sign  :rolleyes: ?).

I came across this one:

http://www.tuningstyling.co.uk/tuning-styling/hyundai/hyundai-i30-1-6-crdi-116-bhp-tuning-styling

and is interested if anyone here has tested this.

I have to admit that having a wireless remote control with the possibility to turn it of is very appealing. Here in Norway the cost of being caught with a tuned car could be ridiculous high.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I have to admit that having a wireless remote control with the possibility to turn it of is very appealing. Here in Norway the cost of being caught with a tuned car could be ridiculous high.

That wouldn't cut it, the button would have to make the thing self destruct (in 5 seconds).

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Hey there steinrk, and welcome to this forum. I do not believe we have come across this form of tuning box on our forum. I myself have a tuning box from Germany, and as you are probably aware there are many of them out there in the market. The remote control is an interesting idea, but I would not consider having that option for the simple reason that the box would still be visible in the engine bay if it was to be inspected. I have a feeling the remote control option is not the solution for you unless you have other people you do not trust who drive your car. In my situation it takes me about 2 minutes to remove the box from car if I have my car serviced by a Hyundai technician, and there is no evidence of having used one by their diagnostic equipment.

From my personal experience there is nothing wrong with using a tuning box when the car is still new. Just remember to take the box out when servicing.

Nice car by the way and a good choice of colour too.

Offline DaveCRDi

• 2nd Gear

That wouldn't cut it, the button would have to make the thing self destruct (in 5 seconds).

Not necessarily. You can have it switched off, and say that it's there for use on closed roads/track days. I'd need to check, but I'm fairly sure the onus is on them to prove you actually had it switched on at the time.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Not necessarily. You can have it switched off, and say that it's there for use on closed roads/track days. I'd need to check, but I'm fairly sure the onus is on them to prove you actually had it switched on at the time.

I think it will depend who "them" is, and under what curcumstance its found. On or off it's going to be a modification that requires notification to the insurer (in the UK at least). And switching it off an leaving it there isn't going to impress the dealer when you take it in for service.

Offline steinrk

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway

• 1.6CRDi U2/6Spd
The reason that I found it appealing to have the switch to turn it off is that the authorities here in Norway some times have road checks where they also might check your engine (or at least they claim they can do this). Turning off the tuning if you ever get pulled over into such a check might be worth it (but the hardware is of course there, so if someone takes a look...  :(  )

The assurance is a different case and is what scares me most. Driving a tuned car and ending up in an accident you might end up by getting nothing.... (unless you are able to pull out the tuning box before the police arrives....). This is easier if you change the chip since it is almost impossible to check that on a wrecked car.

Offline DaveCRDi

• 2nd Gear

I think it will depend who "them" is, and under what curcumstance its found. On or off it's going to be a modification that requires notification to the insurer (in the UK at least). And switching it off an leaving it there isn't going to impress the dealer when you take it in for service.

I meant the police. They can't fine you for having it fitted if they can't prove you had it on.

Offline exotix

• 1st Gear

• ma Morocco
      Morocco
Hello steinrk,

Did you already tried to increase the performance of the motor by remapping the ECU ?

Thanks

Offline steinrk

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway

• 1.6CRDi U2/6Spd
No, I haven't. The issues with insurance in case of an accident is discouraging.

...and it's been too cold during the last 4 weeks to think about any mod at all, we'll see what happens when the temperature starts to climb above -10°C again  :sweating:.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal