i30 Owners Club

Which Oil is Best?

Offline Gibber

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire

• 1.4 Comfort.
I agree Pip, less additives for dpf fitted cars but also good for petrol cats.

Sent from my HTC Desire
  • 1.4 Comfort 2009

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK

The product description for the ultra extra states the following,

5W-30 Fully synthetic motor oil
Shell's most advanced technology for the latest gasoline and diesel engines
It is five times as effective at removing sludge than mineral oil

Shell Helix Ultra Extra Suitability

High performance modern petrol engines
Fuel-injected models fitted with catalytic converters

Sent from my HTC Desire

Yes…I’ve read this also, but I am still convinced that the Ultra Extra has been more tailored for a diesel engine.  As far as I’m aware, the Ultra and Ultra Extra are both Group III Base Oils and the main differences, is the Ultra Extra has more additives to meet the needs of a diesel engine.  One example being, is that the Ultra is not suited to vehicles with a Particulate Filter and being my 1.4 petrol don’t have one, I don’t see it as an issue.

I’m sure the Ultra Extra is fine for a 1.4 petrol, just thinking it may be giving me more additives than I really need.  If the Ultra is good enough for a Ferrari, it should be good enough for my Hyundai  :D
I think it's the other way around... the extra has less (SAPS) additives which makes it friendlier for CAT converters of which I'd assume your petrol car has one... dunno though. Do you know?

I might need to refresh my memory before being specific but I think the original Ultra without the extra is a B4 (robust oil) and the later Extra is a more "modern" formulation catering to either economy or exhaust filters or both... A5/B5 and Cx oil.

I'm singling out this quote: "If the Ultra is good enough for a Ferrari, it should be good enough for my Hyundai :D"

Ferraris do not set the benchmark for Hy. Sure some engines will have similar needs to another brand but each oil's suitability for our engines has to be evaluated against Hy's needs, not other's.

Regarding whether my car has a catalytic converter, I would say yes with very little doubt, as far as I’m aware it has been law to have one fitted in the UK for many years.  Before my Hyundai I had a 1993 Rover and that had one fitted, never needed changing in my 12 years of ownership and that was using Castrol Magnatec  :o

Think you took my quote about the Ultra being good enough for a Ferrari too seriously, yes it may be good enough and that's why I was jesting about it, hence the grin at the end.  I’m aware Ferrari doesn’t set the benchmark for Hyundai, which is why I said the below on reply 18:

I’ve been in touch with Hyundai UK and they will only endorse the use of the Shell Helix’s below, with the Ultra Extra being there favoured choice.  For some reason they won’t have anything to do with me using oil starting with a 0W, so have decide to play safe and stick with what they recommend.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68976-shell-helix-ultra-5w-40-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68973-shell-helix-ultra-extra-5w-30-premium-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

Thanks.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
This might be interesting :wink:

ACEA 2010 European Oil Sequences

Cheers m8y, I'll have a good read.

I come across these websites...look well dated I know...but I found them interesting reading.  The Engine Oil Bible has 2 pages.

http://engineoil.blogspot.com/

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

I come across these websites...look well dated I know...but I found them interesting reading.  The Engine Oil Bible has 2 pages.

http://engineoil.blogspot.com/

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
:goodjob:
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline drjo

• 1st Gear
In my opinion any operator should use the oil which is recommended (specifications)  from the manufacturer.
Anyway there are similar products which can be used since they meet the specifications required.
I30 1.4 petrol i.e.
If you make a brief product search  regarding  COMMA  oil you will get XTECH SAE 5W-30 which is A5/B5.
What are your experiences/opinions  about COMMA oils?

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

If you make a brief product search  regarding  COMMA  oil you will get XTECH SAE 5W-30 which is A5/B5.
What are your experiences/opinions  about COMMA oils?

Any opinions from our UK members??
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
I believe Shell Helix Ultra is/was original fill. Shell Helix Ultra Extra is a later release low SAPS oil but not necessarily better.

WRT Mobil oil, stuff called Mobil 1 seems to be reserved for their best and 0w40 is AFAIK the best of the best (Mobil oil) and almost certainly has the greatest amount of "synthetic" content. You can safely disregard any mention of synthetic in the name or description: you need to look to the specification to guess at what percentage of true synthetic base oil(s) is used. There is no best (even 100%) synthetic content that will guarantee ultimate performance but little or no synthetic will always offer less than stellar performance.

Mobil ESP nomenclature, like Extra for Shell, defines a low SAPS oil that will be better for any form of exhaust emissions filter.

Oils can be defined as low or medium SAPS which essentially quantifies the amount of some ash producing additives. True low SAPS oils will satisfy ACEA C3. If your engine requires this you must use it.

So first choose an oil that adheres to C3 or B4 or whatever requirement the handbook says, then if you are truly anal, acquaint yourself with the manufacturers numbers and see if you cannot pick the better oils from the others. The ones mentioned will all be fine.

If you have cold-start tappet noise, try an 0w30/40 oil with the first number more important. The first number defines the cold viscosity. Zero is thinner than 5; thinner is better. A cold viscosity of zero also usually means the oil is more likely to contain better (more synthetic) base oil. Accepting the caveat above that more is not always better... more is better. :cool:

And just a final note: Edge Sport is a lower SAPS version of Edge which is more old school. Old school did not consider emissions as much as later blends. If you read between the lines you might think that newer oils offer less protection. This would be simplistic but none-the-less might be true. :wink:

Yeah I have also looked it up the ULTRA EXTRA is not recommended (at least for the DIesel model). I have bought the ULTRA 5w40 and Also the Valvoline Syncpower 5w40. The latter is on a special at Repco at the moment (for Australian members). I heard it is a good oil.
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Yeah I have also looked it up the ULTRA EXTRA is not recommended (at least for the DIesel model).

You have to take into consideration the location.

Shell Ultra Extra is the oil for European diesels because of the cars have  DPF as OE.  As I understand it the Australian market doesn't have the DPF as yet so the Extra spec is not required..
Interestingly, in France, the oils are always labelled  and shelved specifically as "petrol" or "diesel" even if suitable for both as many oils are. There is no Shell Ultra Extra in the petrol versions only Ultra.  In hypermarkets the Shell Ultra Extra is around £35 for 5 litres

At a  boot sale last Sunday a guy had 5 x 5litre Shell Ultra Extra at £5  each.  Unfortunately I have a service contract.

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

Yeah I have also looked it up the ULTRA EXTRA is not recommended (at least for the DIesel model).

You have to take into consideration the location.

Shell Ultra Extra is the oil for European diesels because of the cars have  DPF as OE.  As I understand it the Australian market doesn't have the DPF as yet so the Extra spec is not required..
Interestingly, in France, the oils are always labelled  and shelved specifically as "petrol" or "diesel" even if suitable for both as many oils are. There is no Shell Ultra Extra in the petrol versions only Ultra.  In hypermarkets the Shell Ultra Extra is around £35 for 5 litres

At a  boot sale last Sunday a guy had 5 x 5litre Shell Ultra Extra at £5  each.  Unfortunately I have a service contract.

From what I can see on the Australian Shell website the ULTRA EXTRA is NOT B4...only ACEA C3.....I know that the Diesel needs a B4 oil (at least in Australia) I am not sure about other locations....the ULTRA is a B4/B3.....
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal