i30 Owners Club

After 1 year and 31,690km

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Mexy (named after the number plate)   turns 1 today. She has done 31,690k.

My thoughts are that she is going very well. Has been excellent on the old Brisbane Gold Coast commute, and dosen't blink at sitting on 120k/h. She hasn't missed a beat, and hasn't seen the dealer since 1000k. Still very comfortable to drive, and the engine is nice and punchy.

The couple of times I have really tested the brakes I have found them to be strong, and the ABS good to use.

My only real gripe is the tyres, which are already showing their age, and will be lucky to make it past 45,000 which is fairly average given the rather easy straight drive they have to contend with (as a guide, the last set on my Falcon did 80,000, though I did have them for a fair while before I started driving the distances I do now, so they may have hardended).

I haven't had any problems with her, but she will need to go back to the dealer re the fuel latch failing to pop open the fuel hatch thingy, While I'm there I might try to get them to have a look at the vibration from the glovebox that kicks in around 2500rpm. Not overly annoying, but hey while im there.

Fuel economy has been around 6.3/100k

Servicing has been reasonable, I have used my local mechanic and saved a packet over Hyundai's service prices. I intend to continue this.

So in 12 month, she has already done more k's than a lot of cars will do in 2 years, By this time next year she'll be knocking at 60k.....

Hyundai will be earning their money on the 5 year unliminted k warranty on this one  :rofl:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Beerman .. Is "she" a 1.6 CRDi Auto ?

Can't do much about your tyres a few of us have got mid 50's out of ours and Shambles got over 50,000 miles I think from memory.. :eek:

Have you read the thread suggesting how to fix the Fuel Cover sticking ... in most cases it is just a case of sliding the plastic cap cord across to the other side so it doesn't foul the catch... :winker:

And there is a thread about the Glove Box rattle ... I used 2 x adhesive rubber blocks to fix Trish's CW glovebox and Carib had another suggestion in the thread about the locking pins... (do a bit of a search and PM me if you cant find the threads)  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
She is a 1.6l auto.

I tried moving the thingy around, but it didn't work again the other day, It worked for the first 11 months, so I would rather it be fixed than have to remember to move things around every time I fill up, same thing with the golve box, I could throw a couple of adhesive strips on there, but again, why should I!

As for the tyres, I don't know why they are wearing so poorley, it is a fairly easy cruise that I do. The only thing I can think of, is as my car was April build and I got it in June, perhaps they were newer and the rubber didn't have time to harden? but I am no tyre expert.....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Trev (surferdude) might have an opinion on the tyre wear... :idea: (if he sees the thread)  :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Front wheel drives are renown for chewing through tyres as you've got both drive and steering forces working on the front tyres while the rears just tag along for the ride.
What sort of tyres pressures are you running, beerman?  Underinflated tyres create heat and help to decrease the life of your tyres as well. I run 38-40 psi in my i30. Personally, I reckon the  32psi Hyundai recommend is too low.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
Mexy (named after the number plate)   turns 1 today. She has done 31,690k.
I wish you another 3.000.000 happy kms :D

PS.1 - sticking fuel cap: I was tired myself to move around the "thingy" every time, so 2 weeks ago sprayed with some silikon spray deep inside the cover, where the hinge is... supposed to be. After reading your post of yours, got down to the car, opened the fuel cap and guess what:  :yahoo:
Tested for several times, seems ok :cool:

P.S.2: I wish my Hankooks to wear as fast as possible... can't wait for the moment to put some good tires on!
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Front wheel drives are renown for chewing through tyres as you've got both drive and steering forces working on the front tyres while the rears just tag along for the ride.
What sort of tyres pressures are you running, beerman?  Underinflated tyres create heat and help to decrease the life of your tyres as well. I run 38-40 psi in my i30. Personally, I reckon the  32psi Hyundai recommend is too low.

90% of my driving is highway, so I also run my tyres 38-40. It also gives an excellent buffer against slackness in checking them  :whistler:

I would have thought the drive/steer would be more of an issue in a car that does stop/start driving. Mine really only goes from home onto the highway drives 55 odd Km and then off the highway to work.....repeat vice versa.

I really haven't too many issues with the tyres, but thats because the concreate highways make so much noise anyway, even the wifes super silent Goodyear F1's make noise on it.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I really haven't too many issues with the tyres, but thats because the concreate highways make so much noise anyway, even the wifes super silent Goodyear F1's make noise on it.

Maybe these "concrete" highways are the cause then?  :undecided:

Or perhaps you're just a hoon when it comes to corners, like me....  :p

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal