i30 Owners Club

Aussie motorcyclists unite.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
It looks like not only Queensland motorcyclists are upset by the new laws targeting motorcycle gangs.

Good on them. :goodjob2:

Queensland bikie laws trigger national protest
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks for posting that, UM, I've been keeping an eye on this...

Will be interesting to see what sort of turn out they get.....Hopefully it's huge!  :goodjob:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Yes will be interesting,I did post this in another thread but got no reply,so wondering if PPL didn't read it,but the other night I was watching a current affairs program,they were reporting that the Victorian government were looking at introducing legislation,to have the power to remove your drivers license for ANY offence committed,so for arguments sake if you were convicted of shoplifting,they could possibly suspend your license.

I'm starting to suspect many of our political leaders have or are startibg to go mad,did anyone else hear these reports or am I imagining what I heard and I'm the one starting to go mad.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
they were reporting that the Victorian government were looking at introducing legislation,to have the power to remove your drivers license for ANY offence committed,so for arguments sake if you were convicted of shoplifting,they could possibly suspend your license.

Here you go, Rick...you're not going mad....  :whistler:

:link:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

I bet you're glad you're not losing your marbles, Rick :rofl:

This Victorian law doesn't make sense. How can anyone justify such ridiculous legislation?

And here's me thinking all the loony politicians were in Queensland. :disapp: :disapp:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
A similar law has been around in W.A. since Adam was a boy.
You can lose your licence over here for ANY offence, if a motor vehicle is used in the commission of it.
It isn't used very much but is there if needed and appropriate.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
It would appear something similar is already in place in Queensland, UM... :fum:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/fine-dodgers-could-lose-drivers-licence/story-e6freoof-1225789653149

Think we have that one in Tassie too.. I agree with it, if implemented appropriately..

Down here if you don't pay your speeding and parking fines and they build up to a large sum I think they can take your license away. There are lots of losers down here who stack up lots of fines and just laugh at the law... :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Does it include non driving related fines too, Daz?  :undecided:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
It would appear something similar is already in place in Queensland, UM... :fum:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/fine-dodgers-could-lose-drivers-licence/story-e6freoof-1225789653149

Think we have that one in Tassie too.. I agree with it, if implemented appropriately..

Down here if you don't pay your speeding and parking fines and they build up to a large sum I think they can take your license away. There are lots of losers down here who stack up lots of fines and just laugh at the law... :disapp:
Speeding and parking fines are what I would consider,directly related to your license.

Lets throw an outlandish Hypothetical in here(and this Could Happen)you drive to the shops,lets say the hardware store,your walking around for sometime you spot a few washers you need,but continue walking around the store,instead of having the washers sweating in your hand you put them in your pocket.
Continue shopping around the store,you get a few more larger items,go to checkout,but fail to remember the three washers in your pocket,worth 15 cents.

You get caught walking out the shop with them as someone has been watching you,you haven't deliberately gone in there with the intention of stealing anything(which none of us here would do anyhow)but yes you get caught charges are brought against you,then an over zealous prosecutor,who is extremely good at his job,does in fact get a conviction,you are saying you would be happy to loose your license for up to two years for a lapse of your concerntration and three washer worth 15 cents,I doubt it,you'd be like me sceaming blue murder and the injustice of the situation.

I didn't realise these laws where in fact in place all over Oz,do they have similar laws in other countries as well or are we the only ones with these ridiculous laws.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Settle Petal  :whistler: Like Dave said they might be there but I don't believe anyone has or is going to lose their license for 2 years for stealing three washers.. 

I believe the laws are there as a tool for habitual offenders who thumb their noses at the law and fines (like I suggested earlier)   :undecided:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Well I DID SAY outlandish Hyperthetical  :lol: :lol:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Settle Petal  :whistler: Like Dave said they might be there but I don't believe anyone has or is going to lose their license for 2 years for stealing three washers.. 

I believe the laws are there as a tool for habitual offenders who thumb their noses at the law and fines (like I suggested earlier)   :undecided:

Bad laws can be used against good people as well as bad people. Who decides? :disapp:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Theft is theft, Daz...even sampling a grape or 2 at the supermarket is still theft...
This is just another reason why I'm against mandatory sentences....

That might be the intent but like anything, they are open to abuse.....  :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

But this isn't mandatory... Want to see over zealous policing? Watch the US cops on COPs TV show!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
That was in regard to pinching stuff, Daz.....

If there is a mandatory sentence for theft, a few grapes or a diamond ring, the sentence is gonna be the same...

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Here's something related to the original topic... :whistler:

Recreational riders angry over laws

Hundreds of recreational riders took to the road today angry the states anti-bikie laws are effecting the innocent.

Can we send these journalists back to school please?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Hundreds of recreational riders took to the road today angry the states anti-bikie laws are effecting the innocent.

Yes I noticed that.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

That's right, shoot the messenger..What were the journalists supposed to report?

At least those motorcyclists who took part had the balls to stand up against unjust association laws.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Sorry have to stick up fpr the Dog here,he wasn't shooting the messenger at all,just pointing out the appalling spelling and or spell checker use(much like my mistakes)other than the grammar problems,there was no issue with the story itself(as you can see I have made mistakes and am to lazy to use the spell check

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Who really cares about a simple spelling mistake....It happens to the best of us...  :rolleyes:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Who really cares about a simple spelling mistake....It happens to the best of us...  :rolleyes:

and you Rusty  :snigger: :victory:

and I agree about the spellling  :goodjob:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I don't!

There is a huge difference between effect and affect.

Should/could of being used instead of should/could have is another of my pet hates.

If words are misspelt changing the context or meaning of a sentence, coupled with horrific grammar by supposed professional writers then no wonder our children get confused.

Perhaps it is just a part of always being able to spell and trying to highlight with an 8 year old how important it is, despite an obvious divide in school teachers opinions on the importance of correct use of language?
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Yes, a huge difference, but in this case it was pretty obvious what they meant....

Lets not get caught up with petty spelling mistakes, it's only diverting things away from the original topic....which a suspicious person might think was the intent?  :whistler:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Lucky you're not the suspicious type then, otherwise it might have had a bad affect on you.  ;)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
These guys are supposed to be professional.
Inaccuracies like this, regardless of the context in which they are used, make all our jobs more difficult in bringing up children.

Many years ago I had a discussion with my son regarding spelling, grammar and pronunciation.
I was making the point that getting the basics right could make a huge difference in job interviews.
He said that most of the interviewers these days didn't know any better.
I explained that it was the word "most" which weakened his argument and that in a close contest, if he found himself being interviewed by one of those "rare" employers who DID know the difference, it could make or break his job hopes.

Fortunately he took the message to heart.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Recreational bikies protest anti-bikie laws in Brisbane
December 1, 2013

Queensland premier Campbell Newman says recreational motorcyclists who rallied against the government’s anti-bikie laws in Brisbane on Sunday were wasting their time.

Between 1500 and 2000 recreational riders and their supporters gathered at parliament house to voice their opposition to the laws, which they claim are causing law-abiding citizens to be harassed.

Rallies in support of the Queensland riders were also organised in every capital city except Darwin.

“Anybody who is a law-abiding motorcycling enthusiast really would probably have a better Sunday if they went for a fun ride around one of the scenic attractions around south east Queensland,” Mr Newman said on Sunday.

“These laws are against gangs - gangs who manufacture drugs and sell them to kids, gangs that result in a whole lot of human misery in our society.

“Nobody that’s a law-abiding motorcyclist has to worry about these laws ... they are tough but they’re appropriate.”

However, the Queensland rally organiser, Gabriel Buckley, said normal people had been targeted by the government’s laws.

Mr Buckley said a primary concern was that the laws reversed the onus of proof for people accused of links to prescribed criminal gangs.

"Some people are being pulled over three times on their way to work," Mr Buckley said.

"You can imagine why these guys are getting impatient with the government."

The loud rumbling of the motorcycles could be heard across the Brisbane CBD until about midday, with hundreds leaving the rally down Alice Street, causing traffic chaos.

Last month the Australian Motorcycle Council launched a fighting fund to raise money for any High Court challenge against the laws.

Police and the Queensland government have previously asked recreational riders for patience amid the bikie crackdown, but conceded there would be disruptions for law-abiding motorcyclists.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott, who was in Brisbane on Sunday morning, backed the state government’s stance on criminal bikies.

“We’re not talking here about motorcycling enthusiasts. We’re talking about hardened criminals engaging in – to put it bluntly – a giant criminal conspiracy against the public,” Mr Abbott said.

Read more: Recreational bikies protest anti-bikie laws in Brisbane

Bikie laws: Thousands protest Qld Government's anti-association laws in protests

Motorcyclists protest bikie law reforms on MSN Video

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal