i30 Owners Club

2012 i30 5dr Hatch Roof rack for Kayak :)

Offline FeedTheHog

• 2nd Gear
  • One day to the next

• gb United Kingdom
      Ceredigion and Staffordshire

• Owned by two cats
Hi guys! I have searched around the forum for information but wasn't quite getting what I wanted despite several discussions on the topic coming up.

I have a 2012 i30 5dr hatch and am looking for any advice on roof racks and carriers suitable for carrying 2 kayaks, though I am not sure on the length yet - probably >5 metres. I don't have the kayaks yet and have never used roof racks so literally ANY advice or experiences would be useful. UK relevant advice would be great.

I have looked at the Thule website but having gone through the steps for finding the best rack and carrier it just tells me there are no products available. The Hyundai website was not comprehensive and another forum member complained of rusting bolts with his genuine product. So if you have any information to give I would love to know.

Thanks in advance.
  • 2012 i30 1.6 CRDi Blue Drive Manual, Sleek Silver

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I have a Hatch with roof racks. Mine are "Rola" brand but I'm not sure if they are available outside Oz.
My two kayaks > 5m fit but I need to do some fiddling.
Firstly, the racks like in the link posted above aren't wide enough to take two kayaks side by side. Have a look at these and you can see there is extra width because the racks don't stop at the mounting point.
Canoe and Kayak Carriers from Whispbar
Again, that's an Oz website but thay are available in the UK. You can link there from their home page on the above site.

The kayak adapters are great and with them I can turn my kayaks on one side, backing up to one another for stability.

• 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Yes I have Pro Bars for mine,look different to SD's,quite strong,I have a roof box top on mine and I can get some gear in that,I've seen many I30's over here with Kayak's on top,push bikes.

My racks have all stainless steel fixing stems
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline FeedTheHog

• 2nd Gear
  • One day to the next

• gb United Kingdom
      Ceredigion and Staffordshire

• Owned by two cats
Thanks for the advice guys. I hope to be going ahead with this in the next 2-3 months so I will probably give an update when I do.

My biggest task for now is making space at home for the kayaks!
  • 2012 i30 1.6 CRDi Blue Drive Manual, Sleek Silver

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^^
Ha. Yeah. Storage is a whole other problem.
Especially when you add in 7 surfboards. :-[
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal