i30 Owners Club

Dead Spot

Offline G14Classified101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gosford
Hey guys my 2.0L since first service when i noticed it has a dead spot about 3500rpm in 2nd to 4th gear. in any of those gears the tacho will drop slightly, bounce then rev back up. Whilst loosing power. it is really pissing me off and hyundai at the last service said they found the problem and fixed but it is still there and is getting more consitant. Has any one else found this problem? Or suggest what it is. I think it might need and ECU remap or maybe i have a faulty sensor, like and ehaust flow or intake cfm.

Offline ComfortMatt

• 2nd Gear
My 1.4 has started doing this, but only on the rev counter, when you give it a few beans to around the 4.5-5k mark the rev counter does a sort of 'bounce' only sometimes. Car drives perfect and goes very very well for a 1.4 maybee just a little glitch???

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I thought I was imagining the rev counter bounce :eek:

It has no effect on the performance of the car and I haven't seen it for quite some time now, it was mainly during the first 1000 miles, but a couple of times I "thought" I saw the needle blip then settle.  I put it down to the counter being digital rather than analogue and the electronics having a mental moment. :P
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline G14Classified101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gosford
Nah mine is definately a dead spot. the engine loses power, it is very noticable when in driver seat, im expecting the car to pull but it will stop for that second then keep going.

Offline bachus

• 2nd Gear

• de Germany
      Germany
I thought I was imagining the rev counter bounce :eek:

It has no effect on the performance of the car and I haven't seen it for quite some time now, it was mainly during the first 1000 miles, but a couple of times I "thought" I saw the needle blip then settle.  I put it down to the counter being digital rather than analogue and the electronics having a mental moment. :P
It's the same with my car. I saw it 4 times at 1000-1500 km ODO (always between 4000 and 4500 rpm) and thought it's gone. But today I got that issue again. Nearly 3000km driven and this time the rev counter bounces from 3200 to 2900 and back (performance not affected).
And I know another guy where it's worse. At 10500km he got the rev counter replaced without fix. The wiring got checked but no indicators. Same with the car computer. As far as I know his case is escalated to Hyundai headquarters. At the moment it's an expected communication-problem between ECU and instrument cluster (the unit with tachometer, rev counter, etc) and still under investigation.

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
yes Crystal does the rev counter bounce when cruising from time to time, first noticed it at about 1000ks and she did it last night with 27500ks so she's not growing out of it. No driveability problem, although I find there is a slightly dead spot in the petrols between about 3500-4000rpm which I put down to the variable valve timing changing phase - once you get through the funny spot it'll pull like a demon all the way to the limiter. Every petrol i30 I've driven has that weird spot.

If you're getting a rev counter bounce and an actual loss of power concurrently then I would suspect that yes there is some sort of electrical problem. If memory serves me right the i30 will not drive without a cluster fitted so if that is the case it could well be a CAN-BUS problem between the cluster and ECU causing the ECU to not see the cluster and start faulting.

I connected mine to the GDS after the first time I noticed the tacho bounce but there were no fault codes. If the problem is reasonably widespread I'm sure they'll come up with a fix - they're pretty smart.  :wink:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal