i30 Owners Club

Auto won't change down at lower speeds.

phuney · 9 · 4329

Offline phuney

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hobart

• Hobart, Tasmania
Only have about 600 km's so haven't had first service yet but am wondering if anyone else has this and is it normal.

At speeds of 40 - 60 km with no acceleration the car goes up a gear and seems to labour a little. The revs are around 1500.

I have tried easing off and on the accelerator and it goes back down a gear and up to about 2000 revs and seems happy then after a few seconds goes up a gear again and back to 1500 revs. if you accelerator a little it drops a gear.

Anyone else know what revs their car is doing at around 50 kms and not accelerating?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I've heard that there is an issue with auto box. 

Enquire at dealers.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I've heard that there is an issue with auto box. 

Yep. Heard that too
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i got the misses to drive manually with the shifter for a week and now her auto trans shifts normally by its self. [do it carefully,dont drop it back a gear at to higher speed] :razz: :cool:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Merlot

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hunter Valley
like most of these new cars the computer actually operates the gearbox and tells it how you drive and it can take awhile for the auto to get into your pattern mine was the same when I first bought it and sometimes it seems a bit strange after the missus has it for a week or so otherwise dealer it is but good luck theres no one up here at a dealer in Newcastle that knows or cares too much about it

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 try carefully what i mentioned in above post,you will be surprised in the difference of gearchange,my wife's cw now drives as normal. :cool:

Offline apples

• 1st Gear
Hi We have just purchased 2 I30's having same probs with gear change.....not happy whole car vibrates between 50-60kms, went in for first 1000 service and told this cannot be fixed is a feature of the car!!!!!!!  Very disappointed

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the wifes cw 2.0 petrol did that but now it has gone away.  [its done 3,000kms now]

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Based on the Elantra Touring TSB's there are two that might be relevant:

09-AT-002 Reset and Relerarn Adaptive Values
07-40-010 Harsh and/or delayed Upshift or Downshift

Also, agreeing with the advice above, and something you could try yourself:

ADAPTIVE LEARNING PROCEDURE:
Attach a Hi-Scan Pro* and select "Automatic Transaxle" menu, "Current Data" menuand "Trans Temp. Sensor".
 Drive the vehicle until the ATF temperature is above 50°C or 122°F (adaptive learning does not occur below this temperature).
 Accelerate the vehicle through several 1-2-3-4 upshifts and 4-3-2-1 downshifts at light and medium throttle openings until shift flare and shift shock no longer occur.

*I guess you might see that temperature on a scanguage, if not I guess the best you can do is make sure you warm the car up first. 09-AT-002 tells how to reset before starting this procedure, but you won't be able to do this without the diag kit.

Maybe it will help, I dom't know, I never owned an automatic.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal