i30 Owners Club

Grinding sound = no i30 this Xmas!

L30N · 56 · 16404

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wallsend, North Tyneside, UK

• Wallsend, UK
Over the last couple of days I am noticing a course grinding sound when revving and taking foot off accelerator. This happens both when the car is moving or stationary but is most noticable at low speeds. Car was only serviced 2000 miles ago and oil/water levels, brake pads/discs were OK. Has anyone else encountered this? Hoping to get it looked at soon.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Until I saw that it happens when stationary I would have expected a wheel bearing. (sounds like a bearing of some sort)

Like they say in Monopoly go straight to your dealer do not pass go do not collect...

But seriously I wouldn't be driving it for a couple of days with a problem like that might void your warranty if a small issue turns into a big one... (tell them it just started...)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
Does it do it when the clutch pedal is depressed ?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Does it do it when the clutch pedal is depressed ?

Are you thinking a throwout bearing in the clutch... :idea:

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Yes Dazz, that was one theory and just trying to rule out any of the clutch components.
As you said it sounds like a bearing of some sort, I wonder if the grinding noise increases when the engine revs are higher, if so I would also be considering the alternator or water pump as the easier options.

I have an issue on my car at the moment, but I’ll discuss that on a new post, not going to hijack this one  :eek:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
What about the gear box it self

No oil?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

• Wallsend, UK
Hmm - been for a short run this morning and it seems to come and go. A passenger wouldn't notice but of course we know exactly how our i30s usually sound. Clutch pedal makes no difference, hard to tell where the noise is coming from but seems to be underneath towards front. Most apparent when accelerating/ pulling away. Had new wheels and tyres fitted 2 weeks ago (225/45/17) and thought it might be those rubbing but doesn't explain why noise occurs when car at a standstill. Will take it to dealer this week, a bit concerned that having 'aftermarket' OEM wheels could lead to warranty issues? Still have old wheels with legal tyres so could put them back on.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

a bit concerned that having 'aftermarket' OEM wheels could lead to warranty issues? Still have old wheels with legal tyres so could put them back on.

I'd be putting them on now then see if noise is still present. 

You never know, it could be the OEM wheels causing the noise.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I was thinking it sounded like the brakes binding but not while it's stationary..You might have to change the wheels back befoe you take it in just to see...(Is it worth asking the wheel & tyre people for an opinion?

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
noise occurs when car at a standstill.

That would suggest that it is engine / clutch related.

So only engine auxiliary drive belt (belt tensioner pulley/air con/alternator/water pump bearings) or clutch thrust bearing.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

noise occurs when car at a standstill.

That would suggest that it is engine / clutch related.

Idler gear if they still have such a thing on modern cars.

Many years ago my dad had a persistent noise and it was the idler gear which was loose in its housing

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I was going for clutch release bearing, but that would change pitch when the pedal was depressed, so perhaps not...............
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

• Wallsend, UK
Thanks for all the suggestions, the sound will no doubt disappear when I take it to the garage  :rolleyes:

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

• Wallsend, UK
Visited the dealer on Friday, no further forward after an hour long inspection. They acknowledged the noise but could not pinpoint the problem except that is coming from the engine, possibly a drive bearing or other part not running true. Sounds a bit like a kettle boiling dry. I was told to go back in if it gets worse, but that it could take several days to diagnose/fix under warranty. So it's up to me whether to carry on as normal or be without the car for a week. Forgot to ask what courtesy car would be available -  a new i30, Coupe or 4x4 I could live with!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Very frustrating 4 you M8  :'(

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

I had a similar noise on one of my cars.  I removed the belt, run the engine and the noise disappeared.  I believed at that point it was either the water pump or alternator, turned out to be the alternator.

The symptoms you describe, keeps leading me to think of a bearing.  Not properly explored my i30 yet, as I have only just got the car, but I have noticed it has a fair sized belt and probably has a good few bearings around it.

Would it not be possible for the garage to run an i30 engine with the belt off for a short period of time, to try and narrow things down a bit :question:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

If its possibly the a pump or alternator you can carefully push a length 1x1 wood against each the body of each in turn, and llistening to the other end of the wood you soon hear which if either are making the noise. Keep away from the belt obviously.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If its possibly the a pump or alternator you can carefully push a length 1x1 wood against each the body of each in turn, and llistening to the other end of the wood you soon hear which if either are making the noise. Keep away from the belt obviously.

Great suggestion Lorian (hope you are right) That would be the 2nd time in a month "we"  :wink: :D have fixed a problem the dealer couldn't... :lol:

ouri30

Even better, if you have a stethoscope, place it on the end of the piece of wood and listen through that.  While you could use the stethoscope directly on the component, that would be a bit dangerous.

Stethoscopes can be used to find the source of all number of noises.  I've even used one to work out which poly pipe led to a particular tap (there were four identical pipes in the same trench) by getting my daughter to turn a tap on and off  while listening through a stethoscope to each pipe.  I wanted to cut into the correct pipe to put another tap in the correct line and I could hear the water flow stop and start very clearly.

Every mechanic and handyman should have a stethoscope handy.

Bob

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Bob

Interesting idea Bob are they very dear to buy and easy to get?

Edit: quick google search... from around A$60  :razz: (choice of colour - that's a bonus)

ouri30
Bob

Interesting idea Bob are they very dear to buy and easy to get?

Edit: quick google search... from around A$60  :razz: (choice of colour - that's a bonus)

Never had to buy one Dazz - since I work in a school, I just go to the science lab and borrow one.  Now it looks like I'm up for $60 when I retire.

Bob

Pip
Every mechanic has a tool-box full of stethoscopes.  A screwdriver!

Handle pressed to the ear and the other end on the bit to listen to.  Often times you need a large screwdriver, perhaps 450mm (18").

If the noise you are chasing is audible I can hardly believe you need a more sensitive instrument.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I prefer to mess about with my lump of wood (!) because its an insulator.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I've used a screw driver and once i used a cricket wicket,they both work.i find a screw driver works better though. :cool:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Yup, I am a screwdriver man myself, the insulation comes in the form of a moulded handle :D
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

• Wallsend, UK
Just been to Edinburgh for a couple of days and a new sound has appeared, a loud howl from engine occurring when accelerating at the 3000rpm mark. On the 1.4 petrol this means approx 40mph in 3rd gear, 50mph in 4th or 60mph in 5th. Happens in all gears including neutral (not tried reverse  :wink:). Don't usually hit these revs in everyday driving but it's common when going up hills and dropping down a couple of gears. Oddly the noise disappears when over 3200rpm, eg 70mph+ in 5th. It is difficult to tell as we had a full load and roof rack but car seems a bit more sluggish pulling away than usual. Fuel economy seems 10% down on usual but this could be affected by other variables. Another visit to dealer beckons....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sorry to hear of your woes L30N

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Damn man!

Are you able to record it and upload it to youtube? Then we could get a better idea?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Yup, I am a screwdriver man myself, the insulation comes in the form of a moulded handle :D

Handle doesn't help when you put it down, knock it on to the battery, where attempts to weld itself in place  :eek: - yes I know I'm stoopid.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal