i30 Owners Club

Engine Rattle While Idling

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
Hi

My i30 1.4 petrol has done about 1000 miles and I have noticed an intermittent engine rattle while it is idling and wondered if anyone has noticed the same on there engine.  It cannot be heard when the engine is cold, or while driving and is more noticeable when my car has been driven into my garage and is idling with the car window open.

I have been to a Hyundai garage and they don't think it is anything to be concerned about and I should wait until I have more miles on the clock, they did notice the rattle, although it was not as easy to detect, as it is in my garage.

Any feedback appreciated.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Good that it has been acknowledged as Hy engies can hear it. Not good that it's happening though....

My advice would be that of the dealership, and wait to see. You do get 5 years warranty so you're perfectly covered :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
no oil? :question:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sorry to hear that..bit of a worry but provided you use genuine service parts the correct oils and get it serviced as per the manual you will be fully covered..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Could be a sticking tappet.

no oil?  :question:

Baby under the bonnet :question: :D
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I have to say that ALL petrol engines produced by Hyundai all have this funny rattle. My girlfriends 1999 Excel has the same rattle, my 2005 Getz had a rattle, and yes, my 2.0L i30 has a rattle whilst idling. I think it has something to do with the tappers or something, I have no idea, I'm no mechanic! But it seems all Hyundais all have it.

I can actually tell what is a Hyundai motor and what isn't without even seeing the car in question by hearing this rattling!

Offline IMCRZY

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

• Wollongong, NSW, Australia
There is a little flap under the oil cap and if you stick a funnel in there to hard it will push the flap down and touch the cam....

I have had to bend these flaps up on a couple of Hyundai engines because they were making a tapping noise when the cam lobe hits on it

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
both my i30s rattle when cold.when my scangauge says 30dgc it goes away. :eek:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

@ Shambles & Dazz:  Yep, up until now I will leave it unless it gets worse and as said, as long as I keep the servicing up to date with a Hyundai dealer, I’m fully covered.

@ eye30:  Definitely not out of oil  :eek:

@  Myowni30 & Lorian:  I did consider a sticking tappet, and I suppose some might define the noise as an intermittent tap, rattle or chinking, but is easier heard with your ear close to the wheel arch, as under the bonnet most of the tap/rattle or chinking is masked by the sound of the fuel injection system.

@ Duckman:  As you can imagine, this is what I was hoping to hear and I’m sure my old car made a similar noise, but never took a lot of notice of it, being an old banger and not a brand new car.  I’m not one to hide under the covers if I was convinced it was definitely a fault, but do believe I was getting a bit over concerned about it, or should I say even paranoid.

@ IMCRZY:  Not noticed a flap under the oil cap yet, but will take note and have a look later.

The Hyundai dealership is convinced that the engine is ok and it does not justify pulling the engine apart for what they believe is just normal cam / valve / running gear noises.  

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
See how it develops.
You have registered your concern so if it develops into a major issue later - dealer beware.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

See how it develops.
You have registered your concern so if it develops into a major issue later - dealer beware.

Yeh….I do try and sort out issues sooner rather than later, but looks like I’ll just hold fire for now and see how it develops.

In my opinion it sounds like the engine is slightly pinging, but I thought that only normally happens when the engine is under load. Also I think the car has “Variable Valve Timing” which I believe should eliminate that anyway.

I might be tempted to try a higher octane petrol, to see if it makes any difference.  Any feedbacks would be appreciated on whether using something like BP Ultimate would be ok, on a UK set up i30  :question:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
See how it develops.

Yeh….I do try and sort out issues sooner rather than later, but looks like I’ll just hold fire for now and see how it develops.

In my opinion it sounds like the engine is slightly pinging, but I thought that only normally happens when the engine is under load. Also I think the car has “Variable Valve Timing” which I believe should eliminate that anyway.

I might be tempted to try a higher octane petrol, to see if it makes any difference.  Any feedbacks would be appreciated on whether using something like BP Ultimate would be ok, on a UK set up i30  :question:

It shouldn't pink when idling. If it had been that you could hear the noise when the car was cold, but not when hot I would have offered a leaking exhaust manifold gasket as a possible cause, but they usually expand when hot and get quieter.

I guess another think could be defective timing chain tensioner(s) causing the timing chain to rattle. Assuming it is a chain on the petrol, I didn't check.

Wendel
I assume a different Solution:

My I30 does the same rattle. I had the same noise on a 89 ford fiesta.

There are some strange facts about this rattle: It not only apperars in Idle, but also when you step of the gas and the engine is stil running higher rpm´s ( approaching a red traffic light ). It goes away when you speed up. But: the noise is not dependent on the rpm.

This gives the conclusion that it has something to do with fuel consumption.

Each fuel injection keeps up a pressure on the injection valve. When the engine uses the fuel, the pressure is released through the valve.
If you now lift your foot of the pedal, the engine gets NO fuel at all until it reches idle RPM. In Idle it needs very little fuel.

The pressure has to be released in this moment. Each injection system has a bypass valve that gives way for the fuel to flow back to the tank.

The rattle you hear, is this valve ( mounted on the Firewall ) in operation.

Try this: Let the engine idle and then switch on the rear window defogger and lights simultaniously. This drains many amps from the battery, so the battery drains the amps from the generator, causing higher torque on the motor.
The rattle goea away for a limited time ( approx 1-2sec ) as the motor needs more fuel to comensate this.

Greeting from Germany.

Wendel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for that Wendel

You sound convinced that is the explanation...

Are you a mechanic? It does sound feasible....

Offline IMCRZY

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

• Wollongong, NSW, Australia
The pressure has to be released in this moment. Each injection system has a bypass valve that gives way for the fuel to flow back to the tank.

The rattle you hear, is this valve ( mounted on the Firewall ) in operation.

Is this the Fuel Pressure Regulator that you are talking about?

Wendel
Hello World.

No, I am not a technician. I am Engineer  :lol:

This is what the guys at Ford explained me about that noise. They isolated the ( electromechanic ) valve and the noise was gone.
Seems that it is just the same in hyundai-engines. The Valve is attached to the back-flow line that runs attached to mail fuel line.

I asked my mechanic about this and he isolated the valve with a layer of foam . Noise was less hearable then. I found the foam under the car a few days later, and the niose was back there. So I don´t care any more about the rattle.

I will ask him about the exact location and post some pics if possible.

Wendel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Wendel,

Nice to have one mystery solved  :wink: :D

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

@ Wendel.  Hi m8, this noise you are observing at idle only, is rhythmic or intermittent  :question:

The reason why I'm asking is I wondered whether you were talking about the normal clicking sound you get from the fuel injection system, as I know this can be normal on a lot of cars.

Thanks for your feedback so far.

Offline 130MAN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
I have to say that ALL petrol engines produced by Hyundai all have this funny rattle. My girlfriends 1999 Excel has the same rattle, my 2005 Getz had a rattle, and yes, my 2.0L i30 has a rattle whilst idling. I think it has something to do with the tappers or something, I have no idea, I'm no mechanic! But it seems all Hyundais all have it.

I can actually tell what is a Hyundai motor and what isn't without even seeing the car in question by hearing this rattling!

My I30 has no rattle at all, idle or not

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Hi

I have an update on my original post and wondered if anyone can offer an opinion :question:

The engine rattle in the last couple of days has completely disappeared.  Where I live, the weather in the last couple of days has been a lot damper and foggier than usual and believe it's this that has contributed to a quieter and smoother engine.  I am aware that weather conditions can have an impact on engine performance but how.  Is it the fuel and air mixture, does it make the engine run richer or leaner and could it give the same effect of an engine running on a higher or lower fuel octane :question:

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated, so I can hopefully narrow this problem down.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Hi

I have an update on my original post and wondered if anyone can offer an opinion :question:

The engine rattle in the last couple of days has completely disappeared.  Where I live, the weather in the last couple of days has been a lot damper and foggier than usual and believe it's this that has contributed to a quieter and smoother engine.  I am aware that weather conditions can have an impact on engine performance but how.  Is it the fuel and air mixture, does it make the engine run richer or leaner and could it give the same effect of an engine running on a higher or lower fuel octane :question:

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated, so I can hopefully narrow this problem down.

:rolleyes:  No ideas at all  :'(

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:rolleyes:  No ideas at all  :'(

I had a couple couple of Ideas rattling around in my head.. but they weren't very good.. :cool:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal