i30 Owners Club

Smoke Bonnet Protector for i30 GD3 1.8 Active

Offline ThatDanoBloke

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
I'm kinda scared of getting ripped off here, as these things cost a fair bit, considering it's just a piece of plastic and some clips.

I went to Hyundai, Adelaide, they basically said they have 1 option available and it's in Sydney and it's probably Clear. Quite surprised by that actually, thanks anyway, Hyundai.

So, I've shopped around, I can only find 1 smoke bonnet protector for my car, and I don't think it's the genuine Hyundai part. See ebay listing.

:link: Premium Quality Bonnet Protector Tinted Glass for Hyundai i30 GD 2012-2017 | eBay

Has anyone here ordered one of these for a 2016 GD3, and did it fit?
  • 2016 GD3 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Manual, White

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
@ThatDanoBloke.  Sorry, I cannot answer your question, but may I ask why you want to fit this particular style of a bonnet protector?  Is it to protect the front of the bonnet from stones etc thrown up by traffic ahead, or is it for their racy, spoiler aerodynamic look, or both?

I fitted this clip-on style of protector to a couple of my cars years ago but over time their surfaces eventually got scratched up and more importantly, they collected bits of debris like small leaves and twigs etc which had slid down under them.  It meant having to unscrew the protector to clean up say, about 2 or 3 times a year and refit.  Not a biggie but still a nuisance for a lazy young man. :)

My 'plastic' protectors were clear coloured so a dark-ish one like the type you are looking at might not be as bad scratch-wise but I think it will still collect debris over time.

I then switched to using a clear stoneguard 'plastic' film fitted by a local company (Ozi-Cozi https://protectmycar.com.au/stoneguard/) on the front 1/3rd of the bonnet (and side mirrors etc) on two cars over the years.  Could not have been happier with the look, effectiveness and longevity of the product.  Full disclosure, I have not yet fitted this film to my i30 bonnet...but I had intended to do so when I bought the car 5 years ago...have just morphed into a lazy old man.  :neutral:

Maybe something to think about if you haven't already considered this option.
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline ThatDanoBloke

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
@ThatDanoBloke.  Sorry, I cannot answer your question, but may I ask why you want to fit this particular style of a bonnet protector?  Is it to protect the front of the bonnet from stones etc thrown up by traffic ahead, or is it for their racy, spoiler aerodynamic look, or both?

I fitted this clip-on style of protector to a couple of my cars years ago but over time their surfaces eventually got scratched up and more importantly, they collected bits of debris like small leaves and twigs etc which had slid down under them.  It meant having to unscrew the protector to clean up say, about 2 or 3 times a year and refit.  Not a biggie but still a nuisance for a lazy young man. :)

My 'plastic' protectors were clear coloured so a dark-ish one like the type you are looking at might not be as bad scratch-wise but I think it will still collect debris over time.

I then switched to using a clear stoneguard 'plastic' film fitted by a local company (Ozi-Cozi http://protectmycar.com.au/stoneguard/) on the front 1/3rd of the bonnet (and side mirrors etc) on two cars over the years.  Could not have been happier with the look, effectiveness and longevity of the product.  Full disclosure, I have not yet fitted this film to my i30 bonnet...but I had intended to do so when I bought the car 5 years ago...have just morphed into a lazy old man.  :neutral:

Maybe something to think about if you haven't already considered this option.

It's both, I'll be honest. I like the GD3's reliability and interior but the styling could be a bit sharper... First world problems, I know.

My wife's car (2018 Barina LS) is covered in chips from the previous owner's protection-less highway commutes, so we decided to invest in ways to protect the future resale price on our cars and tastefully up-spec them. Doesn't hurt that cars look a bit meaner with the black accent- incidentally, I have seen how the clear ones age, I think the smoke ones age better, but up close they might look just as bad... I suppose we'll find out.

With regards to leaves/twigs, I would hope the fit is similar to the LS, which has a decent gap at the front- we get the occasional leaf, but they're easy to flush out when we wash the car.

The film protector sounds like a great idea, I've been meaning to chase up details about that, after seeing it mentioned on a car show. Do you mind me asking how much you paid for it?
The prices on their site aren't exactly... economical, but I can see why you'd spend that kind of money on a Porsche.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
@ThatDanoBloke.  My reply is typed inside your post, in [bold text].

It's both, I'll be honest. [Yep, that is honest!  :)].

... I have seen how the clear ones age, I think the smoke ones age better...[Probably right.  Mine were about 25(!) ago and technology has moved on although the fitment design is still much the same].

With regards to leaves/twigs, I would hope the fit...has a decent gap at the front...we get the occasional leaf, but they're easy to flush out when we wash the car.  [From memory, mine didn't have a decent gap but, anyways, the leaves and twigs etc always seemed to get trapped.  Guess it depends if the car spends a lot of time parked on 'leafy' streets...my cars did at that time].

The film protector sounds like a great idea...[Yes, they are a good option to at least consider especially if you can overlook they don't have any boy-racer appeal. :wink: ]

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for it?  [Cannot remember how much I paid but as the last time was in 2006 and I only got a short, back & sides option it wouldn't be helpful.  When/if I 'film' my i30 it will probably be the bonnet (just the first third, the division line across the bonnet is not that noticeable) and the back of the side wing mirrors.]

[I'd be ringing around for local quotes, there should be a few local companies doing this stuff.]

Offline ThatDanoBloke

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
@ThatDanoBloke.  My reply is typed inside your post, in [bold text].

Yes, they are a good option to at least consider especially if you can overlook they don't have any boy-racer appeal. :wink:

[Me and the wife will get prices before the summer. cheers for the recommendation, Terry]

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

Me and the wife will get prices before the summer. cheers for the recommendation, Terry

Glad to have helped.  Hope you find something suitable, be it a 'film' or a 'plastic' protector.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal