i30 Owners Club

DRLs and spotlights fitted

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
I've finally got around to getting these mods done.

DRLs are Philips 8 LED and are fantastically bright. look great and VERY easy to install. I got them from ebay a lot cheaper than Auto Barn (not stocked by Repco or Super Cheap Auto).

The DRLs are full brightness when the engine is turned on and turn off after three seconds when the engine is turned off. When parking/position lamps are turned on, the DRLs drop to half brightness.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-Philips-8-LED-Daylight-Running-Kit-DRL-bright/270781058582?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=017&category=36476&cmd=ViewItem

The spot lights are Hella 181s chrome ($140 off ebay) with 100w lamps and Hella covers ($5 off ebay)

Here are a few photos.

Battery connection & fuse

Relay

• Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Interesting place you've chosen to fit.

Do you have a picture of the car from further back to appreciate them switched on (ie incorporating the whole of the front of the car)?

I've always been interested in a Philips DRL setup. I thought the cheaper daylight 4 would be enough for me. Had been looking at them on powerbulbs.com

However couldn't figure out where I'd put them. You've given the members here an idea.

How easy was the install especially the wiring and finding the right wires to connect. I ask this because I know NOTHING about car electrics. The instructions and would need to be dead simple for me to attempt.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Constipated, I tried a few places to fit them, but found this spot the best.

I also considered the 4 LED DRLs but thought the 8 LED ones looked better ( my local Auto Barn had a live display). Surprisingly, the 5 LED DRLs are slightly longer than the 8 LED type.

They were very easy to install as the instructions are easy to follow. The kit contains all parts required and the connectors are all pre-wired, however, I did shorten the cables as they are 2 & 3 mtrs long.

You have to identify the parking lamp wire in the left hand lighting wiring harness. That wire is connected to the relay to dim the intensity when the parking lights are on. Basically, they can't be at full brightness when the lights are on.

There is a very good installation video on this site.   http://www.led-drl.co.uk/cars/

I'll get another photo takenn from further away from the car and post soon.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Looks Good Um.. I guess you wouldn't have put the CW badge on the front if you realised you were going to mount the driving lights there...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Looks Good Um.. I guess you wouldn't have put the CW badge on the front if you realised you were going to mount the driving lights there...

Thanks Dazzler. No problems with the badge, I'm fitting another one to the bonnet protector :Shocked: :Shocked:

One can never have too many i30 badges, can one :question: :question:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Dazzler. No problems with the badge, I'm fitting another one to the bonnet protector :Shocked: :Shocked:

One can never have too many i30 badges, can one :question: :question:

:Shocked: Doesn't sound like it... :lol:

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

You have to identify the parking lamp wire in the left hand lighting wiring harness. That wire is connected to the relay to dim the intensity when the parking lights are on. Basically, they can't be at full brightness when the lights are on.

I've seen this video before. Can you answer a few questions for me. How easy is it to identify the exact wire to attach it to. Did you use the method of sticking the orange wire into different holes in the headlight cable plug/socket and watching the control box light up?

Is it easy using this method to then extrapolate which wire from the back of the plug corresponds to which hole?

Then I believe that it is simply putting the orange wire in a clip which also goes around the correct parking light wire, close the clip and it does all the cutting and joining the 2 wires itself?

I take it you had to drill into the bumper assembly to secure your DRLs?

Lastly, since this thing draws 15W or so, is there any chance it could cause problems drawing this from the parking light, ie cause fuses to trip etc?

Thanks

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Looks good, UM....but, DRL's are illegal if they are on when your headlights or parking lights are on....  :undecided:

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Looks good, UM....but, DRL's are illegal if they are on when your headlights or parking lights are on....  :undecided:

Yes but not if they do as these do and dim to a much lower level whenever your parking lights or headlights are on.

The Daylight 4 ones just switch off.

You'll notice on some Audis that their DRLs stay on too when headlights are on but are a decreased intensity compared to when the headlights are off. Same here.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Constipated, You're on the right track in identifying the correct wire (parking lamp) to connect to the relay wire. This wire is the one that controls the dimming function. I used a multimeter, not the "poke and hope" method shown in the video to identify the correct wire.

Yes, you then identify the wire in the headlamp assembly that corresponds to the identified pin and that's the one you need to connect the relay wire to.

Yes, the connecting clip supplied will do the job exactly as you have described, however, I cut a small amount of insulation off the parking lamp cable and soldered the relay wire to it and then securely taped the connection.

Yes, I needed to drill 2 holes for each DRL to fit the mounting frames to the body where I have mounted the DRLs. No issues with this and I used the screws supplied to fit the DRL frames.

As far as I'm aware, there is no issues with the power consumption blowing fuses as I've had no trouble at all since the DRLs were installed.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

They are designated as "position lights" and tare used instead of parking lights. The kit comes with two"dummy" parking lamps for this purpose.

The DRLs must dim when the headlights are on.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
the position of the lights is probably illegal in the UK

The lamps should be fitted so that their outer edges are no more than 400mm from the outer edge of the vehicle. I reckon your lights are more than 400mm from the outer edge of the car.

Height above the ground must be a minimum of 250mm and a maximum of 1500mm.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
How come you know so much about this.

Don't forget, this is just a colony.  :lol:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

I know a bit about it because I looked into fitting DRL's on my car. The only place on the front of the car that will accept DRL's without them sticking out too far is the location chosen by UM. However - it does not comply with the current UK regulations. Halfords in the UK sell the "Ring" brand and have the regulations on their website...http://www.halfords.com/wcsstore/libraries/document/958207.pdf

Just as Lemony...is like a lemon

So must colony be like a colon - which is the large intestine - and we know what that is full of......................... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:20:13 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Looks great UM, I have been considering doing the same but couldn't find a legal spot as AlanHo suggests. The only spot that complies seems to be the ones in the headlight bezel http://www.koreanautoimports.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=31_529_270&products_id=4191 which unfortunately need you to break open your light unit and install. There is another available from a German company that requires a hole to be cut in the bumper , can't find the link at the moment.

I will be intrigued to see if blocking the air grill causes any problems.

I have been driving with my headlights on during daylight hours for years.

I have been waiting for a fix for the headlight blowing issue so as to not give Hyundai a reason to waive my warranty.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
alan

hahaha  :rofl:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

google can be anyones Friend.  :idea: I'll stick up for you Alan.   :goodjob2: :goodjob: ;) :lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

google can be anyones Friend.  :idea: I'll stick up for you Alan.   :goodjob2: :goodjob: ;) :lol:
AlanHo can't even find his own jokes on our forum, nevermind use google to search the whole world :laughter:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :whistler: :whistler:

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hey for anyone interested I've found the Philips Daylight 4 and Daylight 8 available on US Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-12820WLEDX1-DayLight-Powered-Daytime/dp/B005DX6BRK

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-12824WLEDX1-DayLight-Powered-Daytime/dp/B005DX6BKW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

The Daylight 4 seems to be about US$100 and about US$10 shipping. Cheaper than powerbulbs in the UK.

I think these things are universal so no difference UK and US.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Looks great UM, I have been considering doing the same but couldn't find a legal spot as AlanHo suggests. The only spot that complies seems to be the ones in the headlight bezel http://www.koreanautoimports.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=31_529_270&products_id=4191 which unfortunately need you to break open your light unit and install. There is another available from a German company that requires a hole to be cut in the bumper , can't find the link at the moment.

I will be intrigued to see if blocking the air grill causes any problems.

I have been driving with my headlights on during daylight hours for years.

I have been waiting for a fix for the headlight blowing issue so as to not give Hyundai a reason to waive my warranty.

Unfortunately the places to fit these philips DRLs is limited with the current i30 and UM's suggestion seems the best option unless you go and make cutouts for the brackets in you grille.

I think it'd have to be a clued up cop to know that this didn't exactly comply with regulations, since more and more cars are coming out with DRLs. Hopefully less risky than aftermarket HID headlights.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Yes but not if they do as these do and dim to a much lower level whenever your parking lights or headlights are on.

That's incorrect, Con....

Daylight Running lights must be OFF when headlights are on....Dimmed is not off.... :winker:

http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars/car_advice/car_fact_sheets/daytime_running_lights

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

Daylight Running lights must be OFF when headlights are on....Dimmed is not off.... :winker:

http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars/car_advice/car_fact_sheets/daytime_running_lights
:faint:  :disapp:

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Yes but I think that when dimmed they reduce to the intensity of parking or position lights which are allowed.

I'm no expert but I don't think Audi would be breaking Australian Design Rules.

The reason I'm interested in these is my car is hyper silver and I'm very wary of the need to be seen as soon as it clouds over and starts to rain.

The other time I've noticed low beams to be of help is at dusk when the sun is almost horizontal at your back. Oncoming drivers can be blinded by the sun, whilst I've noticed that if my rear windscreen is not spotless, the glare can make it very hard to see out the back. In both cases, lights help.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Yes but I think that when dimmed they reduce to the intensity of parking or position lights which are allowed.

I'm no expert but I don't think Audi would be breaking Australian Design Rules.

One would assume that the Audi DRL's, when dimmed then comply with the relevant ADR's pertaining to parking lights.

Due to their positioning, I suspect Ugly Mongrel's don't..... :undecided:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

As requested by constipated, here are some more photos.

Taken on dusk - DRLs full

Taken at dusk - DRLs dimmed

Later that same evening - DRLs full

Later that same evening - DRLs dimmed

This shot shows how much light the DRLs on full  throw at night.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They are brighter than I expected  :Shocked: (I quite like them...) :goodjob:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
almost as much light as the headlights.  :Shocked:

moxey
You made a Good job of fitting those lights, I like them    :razz:  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

You made a Good job of fitting those lights, I like them    :razz:  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Thanks moxey. Yes, I like the DRLs too. They really do set the car off and I'm glad I went with the Philips DRLs as they are very good quality and very robust.

The Hella spotlights are also very high quality lights and getting them for $140AU on ebay was a real find. I originally had a set of blue covers for the lights but found my car looked a bit like "Ol' Blue Eyes". I think the genuine Hella covers match the black and white theme of the car a lot better. I can't wait to do a bit of night country driving to give them a good workout.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal