i30 Owners Club

LED sidelights mod

immx · 16 · 6257

Offline immx

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Essex
Hi All,

I thought seeing as I had a minute, I'd show you what I've been up to lately.

I never liked the look of the nice crisp white DLRs with the yellowish sidelights.

Not the best photo, but you see what I mean.

So I got some nice bright 3W LED ones from the magical eBay like this

The only problem was that the metal bezel round them was larger than the hole in the back of the headlamp.

Being me, I wasn't going to be beaten!

So after some cutting, bashing and other brute force, I managed to  get them apart like so

a small piece of plastic tubing and some cyanoacrylate later I had these

A quick fit later and nice bright white sidelight!  :happydance:

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Active Illawarra Region
Nice! I wish I had your technical skills! Sadly I'll be stuck with my yellow lights (husband has less technical skills than I do  :undecided:)
  • 2012 Hyundai i30 Active

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I like your DRL's....we don't have them on our model here... :goodjob2:

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Great job on getting them to fit.

One word of warning: if it gets hot, the glue might start to smoke and cloud the inside of the light housing. 
You can bench-test them first by turning them on for half an hour and smell for any hint of smoke/vapors.

The clouding happened on my i30 when I tried to DIY some LED fog-light bulbs.  :-[
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
They look great!

One word of warning: if it gets hot, the glue might start to smoke and cloud the inside of the light housing. 
You can bench-test them first by turning them on for half an hour and smell for any hint of smoke/vapors.

The clouding happened on my i30 when I tried to DIY some LED fog-light bulbs.  :-[

That's a surprise, I thought LED's didn't get as hot ... :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
nice mod..Ive been meaning to get new whiter side light bulbs for mine too.... btw....how did u manage to get your sidelights turned on and the DRL on at same time??..cus on mine the DRL turns off when the side lights are on
  • silver i30 classic 1.6 CRDi 110PS Diesel Blue Drive Manual

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
They look great!

That's a surprise, I thought LED's didn't get as hot ... :confused:

The ones I bought were 3W units.  3W LEDs get quite hot (painful to touch).   The super-glue that I used was not meant to be used at those temperatures.
The smoking was not immediately obvious, but it built up over time such that the interior of my fog-lights became cloudy.

The LEDs immx bought came with metal housing which was used as a heat-sink.  After exchanging the metal housing for plastic and using glue, I suspect that he may experience the same problem as me.
As a quick test, he can try unplugging the bulbs to detect any burnt chemical smell.  The glue will also turn a brownish color.  It also depends on how long he keeps on those lights.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Perhaps a better solution would have been to use Heatshrink tubing. No glue at all required, recommend a lengthy monitored test to ensure that heat does not cause ignition of the tubing.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline immx

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Essex
nice mod..Ive been meaning to get new whiter side light bulbs for mine too.... btw....how did u manage to get your sidelights turned on and the DRL on at same time??..cus on mine the DRL turns off when the side lights are on

That was one of the mid 2012 changes Hyundai made. So far I've found that and the sunglasses holder & map light were made standard across the range.

As for the heat, I will keep an eye on it, but I think it should be ok, as even in a 3W LED they don't get hot enough to melt the glue now it's all fully set.

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
Darn...I bought too soon...mines a '12' plate  :(  I've always wondered why I didnt have a sunglasses holder and light cluster at the front of the ceiling, I mean I can live without the sunglasses holder but having the light cluster in mine, at the back  is a pain in the backside.

I wonder if its easy to re-wire the DRL's to come on with the side lights cus I think it looks better like that, but I heard it might be fiddly to do if it has a CAN bus system or something like that
  • silver i30 classic 1.6 CRDi 110PS Diesel Blue Drive Manual

Offline Nickoss

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
I did the same 2 weeks ago
and this is the seller http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20X-Canbus-T10-194-168-W5W-5050-5-SMD-LED-White-Car

Nice white lights now!Next step is to change the H7 lamps with ''philips diamond vision'',white light again!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 21:14:27 by Nickoss »
  • i30 mkII

Offline immx

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Essex
Just on the heat issue, I had them on for over an hour today, and then checked them.

They were only just warm, no where near what I would call hot and the glue was still nice and clear.  :happydance:

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Just on the heat issue, I had them on for over an hour today, and then checked them.

They were only just warm, no where near what I would call hot and the glue was still nice and clear.  :happydance:

Cool.  :goodjob2:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Cool indeed. There's generally no comparison in dissipation. Incandescent generates so much nore heat that I can't imagine a comparable LED replacement ever being a heat concern.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I am a great advocate for LED's, I have one of those work lights on a small frame they sell at hardware stores for about 10-15 bucks. They come with a ?00 watt tubular halogen bulb. Very hot & expensive to run. Replaced the whole light fitting with a 10w Chinese outdoor lamp from eBay. 75% as bright as halogen, more robust and cheap to run.

After about 20 minutes, you can feel some very minor warmth in the housing, so I guess at the light source, some heat is generated, more likely the circuitry, to deal with 240v AC I expect.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal