i30 Owners Club

Replacing parking lights with LEDs

jarit2 · 33 · 10736

Offline jarit2

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• i30 Pemium 2014, petrol, auto, Silver
Hi fellow owners, I recently purchased a i30 Premium 2014 in sliver, I couldn't be more happy, every thing is perfect.
I am looking at replacing the parking lights to LEDs as they are brighter and will match the led headlights. Does anyone know how to replace them without removing the bumper bar. I have looked and tried to remove them but it is such a tight fit. is there a special tool?. any suggestions.
  • i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The park light fitting is very tight but it should just pull straight out, not sure what you mean by removing the front bumper though as the main lights are not in the bumper :confused:

Do note that parking lights are not supposed to be bright, I did change mine to LED's but purely so the colour matched the DRL's but made sure to keep the brightness to the same level as the originals.

Offline jarit2

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

LED s are the same brightness. Tried to get my hands in there but it is such a small and tight space, cannot get a grip on the bulb to pull out. Manual mentions about bumper bar removal. maybe there a special tool which I can grip to pull it out?
  • i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah the first time removal they are very tight, I just grip with thumb and forefinger and twist slightly while pulling straight back ( try wriggling at the same time )

Offline jarit2

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

thanks I'll give it another go. any other suggestions will be helpful.
  • i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Here's the one's I used T10 -12V 2W from Supercheap Auto
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 03:43:12 by CraigB »

Offline jarit2

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Thanks, I purchased mine from Jaycar which they no longer stock. T10 cree wedge led globe. Just need to know how to replace them is such a tight space.
  • i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You could try using a pair of pliers, grip them straight on "gently" and twist slightly to loosen then they should come straight out.

My first pair I bought from Jaycar but I wasn't happy with the brightness as they were to dull because there was no light thrown to the sides to replicate how the originals work within the reflector, they did have another type but were out of stock at the time
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 03:55:43 by CraigB »

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
You could try using a pair of pliers, grip them straight on "gently" and twist slightly to loosen then they should come straight out.

My first pair I bought from Jaycar but I wasn't happy with the brightness as they were to dull because there was no light thrown to the sides to replicate how the originals work within the reflector, they did have another type but were out of stock at the time
:whsaid:
Firstly, I removed the high-beam bulbs to get some more room, then used  a pair of pliers.  It required quite a bit of force to pull the parking bulbs out.

• 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Make sure you eat your greens - those parkers do need some twisting the first time out.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Make sure you eat your greens - those parkers do need some twisting the first time out.
Green shmeens. Go the red meat. :clapping:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
:wttc: jarit2
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline jarit2

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

tried and tried by hand and with pliers but they wont budget. imagine if they have blown and need to replace them for a inspection. no luck. next choice is to ring Hyundai customer service and see what they tell me.
  • i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Did you try to just twist, that alone should loosen them.

Offline jarit2

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

tried twisting, you can see movement, like it is loose but it just will not pull out.
  • i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sounds like you just need some extra force, the first time removal they are very tight.

Offline jarit2

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

trouble is using pliers I am slowly chipping away at bulb holder, so I am stuck as what to do. do not want to break it. is there a special tool that grips, it looks as the bub holder as a lip on it for a tool of some sort. any way I will still ring up service. wish me luck.
  • i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The lip is for your fingers to grip.

If your not having any luck then best if you leave it for the service guys to help you, you don't want to damage it chipping away at the fitting.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I think WD40 would make it so slippery you'd never have a chance of getting a grip on it.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Surely you could wipe off any excess?  :undecided:

Anyhow, just a suggestion...

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Get some hairdryer heat directed into the receptor.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline jarit2

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

just rang service, spoke to manager and said it is labour intense and will take about 1/2 hour to do at $135.00 an hour, pulling out batteries etc. just to replace a 2 x $2.00 globe. (same with fog lights, bumper bar needs removal and about a 2 hour job) not like the old days you could replace most globes without a fuss.
Guess they need to make extra money for spares some how. not happy.
  • i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I didn't think the battery was anywhere near the headlights on the GD....  :undecided:

Me thinks some of these guys don't have a clue....
If I remember correctly some members have also been told you have to drop the bumper on the FD to remove the headlights.
I, and many others know this is a load of baloney.  I'm wondering if this is also the case with the GD?...  :rolleyes:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I can change the fog light bulb in 10 minutes on the FD, what have they done to the GD to make it worse.  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
All forward bulbs on my GD can be changed without displacing any engine parts. The bulb holders are all angled to make extraction a breeze.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
 jarit2 your guy at service is trying to rip you off, nothing needs to be removed to extract the park lights and the job should be able to be done in a matter of 2/3 minutes.

Fog's/DRL's on the GD is also easy and you just need to get underneath and remove the black plastic inspection cover, the whole process is probably 15 minutes.

If that is what service is like there you should find another dealer to have your servicing done by and if you call past a local mechanic I'm sure that they would pop those tough parkers out for free.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
jarit2 your guy at service is trying to rip you off, nothing needs to be removed to extract the park lights and the job should be able to be done in a matter of 2/3 minutes.

Fog's/DRL's on the GD is also easy and you just need to get underneath and remove the black plastic inspection cover, the whole process is probably 15 minutes.

If that is what service is like there you should find another dealer to have your servicing done by and if you call past a local mechanic I'm sure that they would pop those tough parkers out for free.

Yep, the same fog light procedure on the FD.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline jarit2

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

the manual in my new 2014 i30 premium, does say to remove the bumper bar etc to replace the fog lights.

• i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal