i30 Owners Club

Replacing tail / stop light in FD

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I had to replace the brake light today for the first time in my FD hatch.

I followed the instructions to remove the 3 screws behind the tiny latches and removing the screwed in rubber stopper that hold the tail light in place. I then had to pull the whole assembly off.

I noticed there were 2 metal 2cm rods which guide the light to sit correctly, I managed to remove the lower one but couldn't get the top one out. As I was pulling and yanking, the top of the tail light plastic was rubbing on the metalwork and making a terrible noise. I was afraid to give it a big yank out in case there were any clips behind the assembly which I might break.

Anyway, eventually I just managed to squeeze my hand in with it half detached and changed the bulb.

For future reference for anyone who's done it, do I just use more brute force? My yanking so far has managed to scratch the paint in 2 locations around the tail light assembly.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The 1st time they are quite difficult to dislodge. You will not damage the light.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Only ever removed one of mine once,once the screws were out just came out
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
The 1st time they are quite difficult to dislodge. You will not damage the light.
I had a customer come asking what glue to use to glue the tail light lens back together. He had chipped the tip off trying to remove to change the globe.

Best thing to do is get a trim tool between body and light where the barbs are and wiggle it alot.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I had a customer come asking what glue to use to glue the tail light lens back together. He had chipped the tip off trying to remove to change the globe.

Best thing to do is get a trim tool between body and light where the barbs are and wiggle it alot.

Lubricating the ball end of the guide pins with silicon helps to make removal easier next time.  :whistler:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal