i30 Owners Club

Fitted Led interior lights

Myowni30 · 29 · 11163

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Not sure I like the results, but only few mins to change back to standard lights  :lol:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
They look ok to me.

How are they during the slow dimming period?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
They look ok to me.

How are they during the slow dimming period?

They just dim slowly like the normal bulbs, may be a bit quicker.

Not sure that the interior is as light now, or it may be because of the complete colour change  :lol:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Maybe 6 LEDs should have been 12 or 24. There sure seems to be the room for a larger array.

I might have a look for some of those myself.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Houston we have a problem :rolleyes:

Just been out to the car now its dark outside and notice that the leds are still just glowing, even if I start the engine.

Obviously not enough resistance in them to switch the dimming function off. They will of course turn off via the switches, but if left on the Door setting then they just glow a small amount.

Can now see why some leds have a type load resistance to stop this problem  :lol:

Have to put the standard bulbs back in unless some one knows how to solve this.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
You need to wire in a 5Ω resister - one per bulb (in series). They're only around 10p each if you don't have any at home. You need to simulate the load of a filament festoon. I just measured my boot light filament and it measures 5Ω

With the gadget you've installed it might be tricky adding the extra resistive load, so you might have to do some firtling with the mechanics to get that load applied

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
You need to wire in a 5Ω resister - one per bulb (in series). They're only around 10p each if you don't have any at home. You need to simulate the load of a filament festoon. I just measured my boot light filament and it measures 5Ω

Anyone would think you were intelligent if they didn't know any better  :eek:  :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK

With the gadget you've installed it might be tricky adding the extra resistive load, so you might have to do some firtling with the mechanics to get that load applied

That's not going to be easy to do with this type of bulb fitting. May buy some more of the ones that have the leads like the one I used for the trunk/boot light.

Oh well, only £5 for the 3 of them, so not much lost  :lol:

May be able to cut the tracks on the back of the cuircit board and solder in the resistor for each one. Will have a go in the next week or two.

Need to check first with the standard bulbs in place that the power is cut off totally when the dimmer turns them off, to see if its just such a low voltage that the normal bulbs don't light, were as the leds do.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
The soldering on those SMDs looks very poor.

The look like they are wired in series (2.2v X 6 = 13.2v) with no current limiting resistors, maybe no reverse polarity diode either?

This is what the back should look like if they are done properly

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

That's not going to be easy to do with this type of bulb fitting. May buy some more of the ones that have the leads like the one I used for the trunk/boot light.

If the LEDs are wired in series I think you could just solder a small reistor from one end of the festoon to the other on the back. Easy enough if you have a hot iron. These are never going to be the brightest of solution though.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
The soldering on those SMDs looks very poor.

The look like they are wired in series (2.2v X 6 = 13.2v) with no current limiting resistors, maybe no reverse polarity diode either?

This is what the back should look like if they are done properly

No mine have only 2 resistors on the back.  Will take them out later today and take a picture.
I think that one of the tracks goes to one end, so it is that track that I said I may be able to cut and solder the resistor on.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Keep in mind you are only tying to tie down the circuit, not trying to limit the current when LEDs are on.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Okay, here is a picture of the back of mine.  5Ω resistor seems a very low value, are you sure that's correct.

Not sure I have put in the correct colour code, but that's just a picture to show how I think it could be done.

Am I correct  :question:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
The resistance of my festoon was 5 of those earth ohms. If you have a multimeter see what resistance your LED device is showing... it will be interesting to see. As for it being a low value, yes it does seem very low, but seeing as that's what the original festoon is presenting to the lighting circuit I'm guessing that what'll you'll have to copy. Ideally you could do with asking someone who has LED lights to see what their ballast pack has in it, in resistive terms.

Oh, and if you do decide to series-wire a 5Ω resister, what you've marked in your diagram looks fine, but you'll need Green Black Gold to achieve 5Ω.

I think Hemmi's an electronics guru. For me it was just a hobby for 20 years.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Have just tried the leds and they don't show any resistance at all.  Trying the original 12V 8W bulb on my meter shows just 1.5 ohms. Will give it a try and see what happens.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Fitted 1.5Ω resistor to each led array, tested them on a 12V transformer and all work. Need to put them back in the car and see if they switch off now.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Is that brown/green/black? If so it's 15Ω

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Is that brown/green/black? If so it's 15Ω

Well I asked for 1.5Ω resistors.  Anyway one led out of the six on each array still glows  :evil:

Standard bulbs are staying for now  :lol:

Offline i30mania

• 3rd Gear

• tr Turkey
      Istanbul,Turkey

• Proud Owner Since 2007
I ve changed my bulbs a while ago

Original ones  :neutral:
  • Opel Insignia 1.6Turbo

Offline DaveCRDi

• 2nd Gear
Nice job i30mania! that looks great.

Did you replace the sidelights/running lights with LED units too?

Where did you get all that if you don't mind me asking (I'd consider doing that myself).

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose

Do they slowly dim, and extinguish (switch off) completely, or do they glow in the dark :question:

Offline KKOM

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Heraklion

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Details my friend WE NEED DETAILS !!!

Hey, lighten up a bit :lol:

that's what he is trying to do  :wink: :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30mania

• 3rd Gear

• tr Turkey
      Istanbul,Turkey

• Proud Owner Since 2007
Sorry guys for late response,

I bought from ebay, there are alot of LED sellers but I suggest you to buy SMD LED , like in the pictures.

I was afraid at first but dimming works great,

I ve changed all the lights, including parking lights,side repeaters.

This ones have 3M tape at back

I only did not touch to the tail lights, waiting for a reasonable price for Led tail lights (like Hemmi's have)

Stop Global Warming  :exclaim:
  • Opel Insignia 1.6Turbo

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

www.dealextreme.com are good on prices, but read the reviews of the items, as they have some crap lights with duff resistors and no diodes, and some super lights too, like this one:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,4821.0.html

Which looks similar to Mania's. They have lots of different sizes.

Offline KKOM

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Heraklion
Hi my friend,
Can you send us the links of the specific items you have purchased so it will be easy for us to know what exactly to buy
Thanks

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Let me say that those interior (main roof and map) lights are all different to mine.

My main roof light has a rocker switch, and not a slide switch as shown in i30mania pictures.  Also the map lights are different in design, there is no push button in the lens, on mine you just push the back edge of the lens to switch on and off.  Not saying that the leds he has used want fit though.

Offline DaveCRDi

• 2nd Gear

Hi my friend,
Can you send us the links of the specific items you have purchased so it will be easy for us to know what exactly to buy
Thanks

I'd be very interested in specific links too.

It looks like you did a great job, and I'm quite wary of some of the LED arrays that appear to be more cheaply constructed than yours, particularly the sidelights.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal