i30 Owners Club

day driving lights - ignition plus

Offline stevie73m

• 1st Gear
Hello, I am Stefan from Germany.
I am in the possession of a i30 with the year of construction 2007, 109 horsepower, petrol. Program would like to attach the day driving lights from the accessories.
Can someone say where I in the engine compartment the switched plus (ignition plus) to attach can with? Perhaps also does someone have a picture in addition?
Me much would make happy!

Thank you!

Stefan  :)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
hi Stefan.  :mrgreen: i cant help you on this matter but I'm sure someone else can.  :goodjob:  i also would like to know the same information. you can buy the lights on eBay if you have a good look.  :idea: :mrgreen: :goodjob:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Stefan from Germany :)

I'm not sure what the rules in Germany (or even Europe) are for day running lights, but in the UK I believe they say that the lights must come on when the engine is started, but go off when the normal lights are switched on.

If that's the same where you live, then you'll need more information than just the accessories circuit.

Anyway, at the moment, I also can't help you locating the required wires.

immer mal im Forum, wie ich bin sicher, dass jemand die Antwort müssen Sie haben (keep checking the forum as I'm sure someone will have the answer you need, I think)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Stefan... Can't help you at all sorry  :-[ (I'm just friendly  :mrgreen:)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Does German motoring law allow you to drive with just side lights on?

If so, do that as a quick fix.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
Hey there,
simplest way i can think of off the top of my head, is to tap off the side lights, then just install a switch inside ("
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline SandRsSR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Guildford, Western Australia
I put daytime running lights on my Kangoo van with the idea that I would like to do the i30 later. I used a 5 pin relay, 4 pins are used. 1 to the new lights, 1 to the body (earth) 1 to the park lights and 1 to accesories. The last was the trickiest but on the Kangoo I found a fuse in the engine bay fuse box that only supplied power when the ignition was turned on. This did the trick, the lights come on when the ignition is turned on and go off when the park lights and headlights are on. I am not going ahead with the i30 at this stage as I don't want to tamper with a 5 month old car, but I may have a look one day to try and find the wiring points.

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
I believe SandRsSR is definitely right. I once read an article about daytime running light installation which satisfied the requirement of "come on when the engine is started, but go off when the normal lights are switched on". It also mentioned a 5-pin relay. However it's not in English.  :lol: It's from one of our domestic forum. For those who familiar with electronics, it could be easy to do so, but I'm just not one of them, and not confident to properly translate all the details. :scared:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The simplest way to achieve the on / off switching would be to use a relay. You can buy relays that either turn on or turn off when they are energized. That said I, would connect this way.

1. Get a power source in the engine bay that energizes when the engine is running.
2. Connect to 1 side of relay Marked NC (Normally Closed).
3. Connect other NC terminal to running lights +
4. Earth the running lights - to a good earth on the car chassis.
           With the ignition on, The lights should be on and the relay is off.

5. On the relay coil connections, connect 1 side to earth.
6. connect the other coil terminal 2 the +wire of your headlamps.
           When the lights are on, the relay is energized and breaks the + contact to the running lights, so they should be off.

Have someone competent do this for you if you're not sure what you're doing & of course include an appropriate fuse.  :happydance:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks 847563... :goodjob: You can try it first  :lol:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
We've only had our cars for a few weeks so not looking to do this,,,,,,,, probably ever! :D
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Green Machine

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Faster, coz it's a red one!
I just installed some strip LED's on both headlights for a bit of daytime driving light action. Mine go off when high-beam is turned on - better than nothing I guess. I tapped into the headlight wiring. Word of advice, when testing the wires, turn the indicator on. Apparently the headlights use a common power and just earth out when each light is required. The lights came on with side lights, stayed on with headlights, all good - everyone happy. Until indicators go on, then driving lights flash out of sync with indicators and I get extremely agitated.

Redid the wiring and all is now good. Only cost me $30 for the lights at Autobarns (Fat Pizza reference...) and a few bucks for connectors etc. Got some pics for anyone interested.

Pictures don't really do it justice. It looks great in person. Oh, got it working correctly by the way.  FINALLY! :mad:

Cheers,

GM

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good job GM looks great for what you paid... :goodjob:

Is it legal to have them on with the low beam? or is the last line of your post saying they now go off when headlights on?

Offline Green Machine

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Faster, coz it's a red one!
Lights are on with side lights and low beam, but go off with high beam. I'm pretty sure I've seen numerous barges around the place (new territory TDCI, HSV Clubsport, oodles of audi's, Beemers Merc's etc) that drive along all day with their headlights and daytime lights on. I haven't checked the legislation mind you (wouldn't know where to start...), but I guess I'll find out if I get pulled over. :sweating:

GM

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Rusty Nutz is our resident Rules Finder hopefully he will see this thread.. I'm too lazy to go searching at this time of the night.. :undecided:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I believe ADR 13 is the authority;

In Appendix 6.19.7:

Electrical connections
The daytime running lamps shall be switched ON automatically when the device which starts and/or stops the engine is in a position which makes it possible for the engine to operate.

The daytime running lamp shall switch OFF automatically when the front fog lamps or headlamps are switched ON, except when the latter are used to give intermittent luminous warnings at short intervals.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks, so It does appear you are not supposed to have both on together ... :cool:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Formerly known as Ffoxy.... Old Thread New Post! Under EU law DRL's & side / headlights must not be on together. I've fitted my L.E.D set & am ready to go, all work, BUT... I cant find a 12volt ignition switched feed & which wire is the sidelight feed?

Car is a 2008 1.6 Premium Petrol by the way.

Hahaha questions questions... Can anyone help?

Cheers... Keith
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Nice to see you back Ffoxy.. Hopefully you will get some helpful answers but please be patient it may take a few days for someone appropriate to see your posts  :goodjob:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Nice to see you back Ffoxy.. Hopefully you will get some helpful answers but please be patient it may take a few days for someone appropriate to see your posts  :goodjob:

Cheers Daz, good to be back, the i30 is being just SO good I have had no need for help... but I guess I could have come on & helped others. I've been distracted by an old XT600 Trail bike I bought to rebuild... what a biatch that is! Still I'm back now & patience is a virtue that I am mostly capable of.... cept I REALLY wanna get these lights fully functional! Less than £10 to get together by the way... did I already mention that?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm looking forward to seeing them working too  :happydance:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

All done! Picked up my ignition controlled 12v from fuse 15 (B/UP) & spliced into the brown 12v feeder wire inside the headlight unit, pretty easy really.

Works as planned so need to get some pics up ASAP!  :happydance:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal