You hit the nail on the head there.  :(
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
Just one question....  :wtf: is ISG ?

Irritating Stopping Gadget.................... :rofl: :rofl:

lolz... it's exactly that!  :twisted: If I only could find an additional connector to put between the button module containing ISG OFF and the wire loom, I'd have already built a gadget which gives a signal to the button after starting the engine. I don't want to cut original wires for that.
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Just one question....  :wtf: is ISG ?

Irritating Stopping Gadget.................... :rofl: :rofl:

lolz... it's exactly that!  :twisted: If I only could find an additional connector to put between the button module containing ISG OFF and the wire loom, I'd have already built a gadget which gives a signal to the button after starting the engine. I don't want to cut original wires for that.

How about a power supply from the DRL's to trigger the on/off botton or via a relay depending on how the on/off contact works... :question:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
To add to our fund of knowledge about the mysteries of the ISG - I conducted an experiment during a 195 mile trip from East Sussex to my home in Solihull today.

I have installed a digital voltmeter in the car which is connected to the battery. I can thus see the battery voltage during various driving conditions and monitor when it is being charged by the alternator.

I was cruising the motorways at about 60 mph using cruise control and noticed that the voltmeter was steady at between 12.63 to 12.87 volts whether climbing a hill or on a down-slope when the engine was clearly on the over-run.

Conversely - if I switched off cruise control, every time the car went onto a down slope - and the engine was on the over-run - the voltage increased to between 14.28 to 14.32 volts. Which indicates that the ISG system only charges the battery when the engine is on the over-run.

On long runs I normally use the cruise control as much as possible - this now explains why my ISG more often than not does not work after a long run on the motorway. I need to do a good distance of non C.C driving with plenty of intervals with my foot off the throttle to charge the battery
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :ta: Alan, that is interesting info!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Lights on or off, Alan  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I drove home in glorious sunshine (for a change). Hence no lights on.

Nowadays I rarely drive at night - but next time I do I will repeat the exercise.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: AlanHo
...Which indicates that the ISG system only charges the battery when the engine is on the over-run.

I don't get it. Do you mean when then engine is on over-run AND the CC isn't in use?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

It is my belief that with the Hyundai/KIA ISG system the battery is normally only being charged when you have your foot off the accelerator and the car is on the over-run. I assume that this  is to conserve fuel by harvesting some of the "braking" energy via the alternator.  Under other driving conditions the alternator only puts out enough juice to cover the electrical load at that time.

What I had not noticed - until yesterday - was that with C.C engaged, the battery voltage does not increase on the over-run. I went down quite a steep down-slope on the A23 and the battery voltage remained at 12.6 volts. Half way down the slope I tripped the C.C off and the battery voltage immediately increased to 14.28 volts and stayed there until I re-engaged the C.C when it dropped back to 12.7 volts. The road then climbed again and the C.C maintained the set car speed but the battery voltage remained hovering between 12.6 and 12.8 volts.

I repeated the experiment again on the M40 - with the same result. On a downslope with the C.C engaged the battery voltage remained at 12.6 to 12.8 volts. As soon as I tripped the C.C off it increased to 14.3 volts until the car hit level ground when it slipped back to 12.7 volts.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Seems another quirk not mentioned at pos or in the book and may account for isg not activating under normal driving
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
:link: Hyundai |Blue Drive

Alternator Management System (AMS)

This clever technology means the battery is only charged during deceleration or when the engine has power to spare, saving fuel in the process.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
This is pinched from here:

:link: Think You Know Hyundai? : Hyundai Media Centre

Our thinking in action

ISG (Intelligent Stop & Go) When you're sitting in traffic or waiting at the lights, ISG automatically stops the engine, then instantly restarts it when you press the clutch. You'll hardly notice it. But you'll notice fuel savings of up to 15%.

Low rolling resistance tyres Less effort means less energy. These tyres help reduce your fuel consumption and CO2 emissions, without compromising on grip or safety.

Electric power steering Replacing traditional systems that rely on pumps, hoses and oil, Electric Power Steering has fewer components, weighs less and consumes less engine power.

Eco drive indicator This innovative system shows you best time to change gear, to maximise fuel efficiency. It could cut fuel bills by 7-9%.

Alternator Management System (AMS) This clever technology means the battery is only charged during deceleration or when the engine has power to spare, saving fuel in the process.

Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) This filter traps soot particles, so exhaust smoke is virtually eliminated. - See more at: :link: Think You Know Hyundai? : Hyundai Media Centre

-------------------------------0-------------------------

As you see the AMS is not a part of the ISG system, but both systems are present to cut fuel consumption. However it seems like ISG and AMS are actually working "against each other". The more you gain from AMS the less efficient the ISG will be...  :confused:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That is a good find Henning! Very appropriate for this thread!  :goodjob:

Offline speedwayfan

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      CHESHIRE
Three weeks ago I bought a 3 year old i30 diesel Active with the ISG system. Now I am fuel consumption aware, and although I have never driven a car with ISG I was really looking forward to trying it.

I am finding the same result as all the others with this problem of getting the system to work. Upon collecting the car, I was shown the button for deactivating ISG if I didn't want it/like it.

A few days later, and ISG still had not worked, I got a call from the Hyundai dealer to ask if all was ok. I had 3 little "grumps", one being the ISG not working. I was asked had I had the radio on, the fan on, the AC etc. Other then testing these to see if they worked, I hadn't had them on most of the time. I was then told by the sales person that her experience was in the car she drove ISG kicked in perhaps only once per month. I wasn't too happy with this, and together with the other couple of "grumps" I was booked in to have it looked at.

The service dept had the car for a day, sorted the other two problems but explained they would like the car for 2 days so they can "regenerate" the battery for a good 12 hours, and then they would have to bring the car out of recharge mode for 4 hours or so. I think I heard right that the battery was only 66% charged. I am booked in just over a weeks time, so I will have to wait and see the result.

However, last Thursday I did a run of about 15 miles each way on a motorway. Nothing happened that day, nor on the Friday when we only did 10 mile round trip locally. It was on the Saturday things happened. I left home, gone about 2 miles, got to a set of traffic lights, slipped the car into neutral and the engine stopped.  Pressed the clutch and it started. That morning it did that about 3 times and I was only very local.

Wonderful I thought, but alas my elation has been proved to be short lived. It has not happened since.

I really do want this ISG to work, as I said I am fuel consumption aware, and what is bugging me, my son has a VW Sirocco that the ISG works fine when it should. Grrrr   
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:04:42 by Shambles »
  • i30 Active diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

ISG seems (from feedback on here) to be an area that Hyundai still struggles with.

Even if they get it working temporarily, don't hold your breath it will continue.

I suspect as soon as the weather gets colder or the battery loses charge it will stop working again.

On the positive side, I don't think it makes a significant saving on the i30.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

As mentioned previously in this thread. the Hyundai ISG system also has an energy recovery feature. Under normal circumstances the battery only recharges beyond a certain point when the engine is on the over-run as you descend a hill or take your foot off the loud pedal to slow down.

This means that the petrol consumption is reduced because the engine is only powering the alternator when absolutely necessary and is probably a significant part of the fuel savings. Stopping the engine whilst stationery is of course saving fuel as well.

It is a myth that a long fast run on a motorway will recharge the battery to the level required for the ISG to work - unless the motorway is in a very hilly area and there are plenty of downhill runs.

If you search this forum you will find plenty of information about ISG.

One thing you need to know - and perhaps you are aware already - is that ISG vehicles use a special battery and there is a control module built into the positive lead to the battery. You need to use a special trickle charger to properly and safely recharge an ISG battery otherwise you can damage the control module. In addition - jump starting the car is not advised for the same reason.

I have now owned 3 cars with ISG and none of them have been free of periods when ISG did not seem to stop the engine. However, unless the battery is duff or the control module has been damaged. the system will still be saving fuel by the clever alternator charging arrangement.   

You will soon get over being frustrated by the ISG not stopping the engine consistently and join the rest of us in not taking any notice.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal