i30 Owners Club

Headlight & Foglight painting

Thumper · 54 · 24409

Offline grug

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Yeah, you've sold me.  If you were keen to do something similar for my headlights, I'd definitely be willing to shell out for it.

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Quote from: "grug"
Yeah, you've sold me.  If you were keen to do something similar for my headlights, I'd definitely be willing to shell out for it.

I will second that.
Whats your fee Thumper?
Do you work for beer? I am a home brewer so have plenty of that :lol:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
great pics
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Well, in all honesty, I'm thinking about purchasing brand new lights from Hyundai themselves for a decent price (Hint hint to those who are reading) then painting several in the colour I just did mine, whilst doing some others in the standard vehicle colours (Like red, white, black, silver, blue)

I also need to know what 'accents' you all would like? (I can do the glow blue, glow red or black) I call it glow because the three lines are actually transparent pigment, so the shiny chrome comes through from under the colour.

Also the reasons why I am going to do it with brand new lights is, once you buy them, they are yours to do whatever you wish with, they have no scratching on them, newer lights will be easier to open up and the simple fact is it takes several days to do each light properly. (I heat cure the paint so that you'll NEVER get any misting inside the lamp as normal paint cures inside the cover.

Also gives the paint a chance to cure properly so can't be affected by sunlight and heat build up. (I've found higher temp paint that will take up to 1,200 degrees C before breaking down)

Your lamps would have melted LONG before the paint softens and starts to cloud the inside of the lens.

Since it takes a while to do each lamp, I wouldn't want you to have a vehicle off the road for up to a week whilst your lights are being worked upon.

As for pricing, I'll see how much I can purchase brand new items for, then see if I can at least match the price for the LHD painted lamps you see in the Korean photos.

Do you like the half chrome, half painted?

All painted?

Cover on top (With the three lines) painted or not?

Believe it or not, what takes the most time (Apart from heat curing the paint) is the taping of areas I do not want painted.

Tell me what you want and I'll try and do it. (Give me a challenge)  :D

Offline grug

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
:D  :D

Sounds great Thumper.  Fair call on the separate pair of headlights - will the same apply to the foggies?

Fingers crossed Hyundai's prices on the headlights aren't completely ridiculous.  A price close to the Koren sets sounds fair - even higher would be fair given the customisation options.

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Sounds good Thumper,
I would be very interested. I think par painted, part chrome might look good. I also do like the blue glow.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
UPDATE: All the lights are in, just adjusted and tested out on the highway, HEAPS better than they were before.

High beam is now like spot lights, down the road, bloody bright.

Low beam is so bright, it's not funny. NO bleed above the cut off line. (There is a massive amount of blue just before the cutoff line. Something that was intended. One of the modifications I worked upon.)

Perfect spread and colour out on the highway. (Signs do not have a slight purple/red tinge, they are now a solid blue on the edge of the beam, then a blinding white when the beam hits them)

Funny to see bloody bright light in front of the vehicle, like where it's meant to be, then further down the road, the white reflectors on the road itself turn a deep blue.

Will grab some more photos tomorrow, as for now, it's bed time.  8-)

(Oh, yeah, the colouring of the headlamps looks very nice on a Silver i30)

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
hmm.. would look good on a moonlight blue.. right dazz? :)

Offline grug

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Thumper,

Glad to hear you're satisfied with the results - you've obviously put enough time into it.

Very keen to see the photos and the inevitable write-up!

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Looks Good M8.. look forward to the other photos... ;)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
wow...that is awesome thumper! all you need now are angel eyes  ;)

Offline grug

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
I noted you posted in the other thread Thumper that the cost of headlights from Hyundai was close to $1K which is a bit of a bugger.

I'll have to grab some further info about this mod a bit down the track when I've got a bit of time so I can have a crack myself.  I'm not sure about what you use to reseal the headlights, the exact paint you ended up with, or whether you sanded before spraying.  I'd also be interested to know how difficult you think this mod is - I note that you reckon it's taken the most time to modify the projection cages, which I wouldn't be doing.

Offline YOSOYPEPO

• 3rd Gear

• es Spain
      Spain

• Spanish i30 driver
    • http://www.i30.es
Hi I have a couple of queries.

I hope that the translator of google you can understand this perfectly.

As time and temperature exactly what you had in the oven? what you put on the metal tray or something else?

once you use an open source sandpaper?

what kind of paint you used to paint it? you have used one layer of imprintacion?

type of adhesive that you used to re-close the lighthouse?

thank you very much

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Ok, a few of you want to know how it is done.......

First of all, do you have an electric oven that is clean and large enough to put the entire headlamp inside, with the door closed?

If so, continue. (Using a hairdryer is just a pain)

Remove the headlamp from the vehicle. Two bolts on top, one at the rear. (10mm or 12mm, can't remember right now)

Disconnect the large power plug running to the lamp. (Squeeze connector, it pulls directly back towards the rear of the vehicle)

Now with some force, pull the entire assembly forward and up slightly. (Don't worry if the lamp gets caught on the bumper, just push down slightly with the palm of your hand on the bumper)

Once out, find a nice clean work area (Kitchen table works best) put down two clean towels, and gab a third older towel.

Walk to your oven, pull all the trays out, and anything else in there, put a tray on the lowest level, put an old teatowel on the bottom tray/shelf making sure it does not touch the floor or sides of the oven. You will be placing the headlight onto this towel.

Set oven for 60 degrees C (If you have an oven that only starts at 100 degrees C (Like most) just turn the dial to where 60 degrees C might be and you'll notice the oven turns on.)

Close door, clean hands of all grease and dirt, then go back to kitchen table

Remove the two large round covers on the back of the lamps, put the side. Remove the bulbs (H7 low beam, H1 high beam) put them to the side, wrapped up in tissue or cloth.

Using a Phillips head screwdriver, remove the top mounting bar (4 screws hold this in)

Now most important (Otherwise you WILL break your lights if not done) remove this single Phillips head screw, indicated by the green arrow. (Above the low beam hole)

Once done, remove the indicator lamp by just unscrewing it.

Now, turn the lamp over in your hands and familiarise yourself with all the 'tags' that look like they hold the clear section to the black section. There are plenty of them. A small flat headed screwdriver will help pry the tags over the bumps sticking out of the clear sections.

Ready? Is the oven up to temp? (You should be able to place your hand in the oven, feel it's warm to hot, but not uncomfortably hot that you can't keep your hand in there.)

Shove the entire lamp assembly into the oven. on top of the tea towel. Clear side facing up. Make sure NO part of the plastic is touching any metal part of the oven, it's walls or door. 

Close door, set timer for roughly 15-25 mins.

Keep checking the oven to see and smell any issues. When it's about done, you will smell first plastic, then a rubber smell. As soon as you smell warm rubber, remove the lamp assembly with the spare towel you have (It's going to be uncomfortably hot to handle)

Leave oven on (Because you may need it)

Quickly get to the kitchen table, then carefully pry each black tab up slightly whilst pulling the clear covering apart from the black housing.

The black 'goop' should pull apart on both sides. DO NOT allow this goop to contact the lamp on the insides. (If need be, a stanly knife will help 'cut' the goop.)

If you find it very hard to pull apart, shove the entire lot back into the oven, bake it a bit longer. (All you need to do is heat the goop.)

Keep checking the temp of the assembly by putting your hand on it. It should be hot to the touch, not melting. Bit like the heat of the lamp on a hot summers day.

Ok, you have the lamp apart.

The chrome rings and chrome assemble will be screwed to the clear front section. (Two small Phillips head screws)

Unscrew, then put the clear section to the side.

Now the chrome section has two rings, one cover plate and the indicator lens, all which unscrew with a Phillips head screwdriver.

Now it's up to you what you wish to paint, what colour, and how to paint it.

I used Automotive engine heat proof paint, good for 540 degrees C (1000 F) Metallic Charcoal in colour. (Flat finish, no gloss)

One 300g can did all four lights.

Now, prepping, make sure no fingerprints or marks are on the chrome. I cleaned with RO water (I have a 6 stage Reverse Osmosis water system, due to our crappy water here) and a very clean cloth (Brand new microfiber, $4 for a pack of 6 at local car store)

Warmed the chrome up in the oven for a few minutes (Warm, not hot) took outside and sprayed several coats first. Let sit for two hours, then a couple of more coats.

I let them sit inside for 12 hours, then heat cured them with a hairdryer. (Holding them, heating them up untill you can smell the paint,)

It is important you cure the paint BEFORE assembly, otherwise misting/clouding can occur inside the lamp when it heats up during operation.

Let them cool down, assembled the now painted pieces back in reverse order.

Now, for the fun bit. Heat the oven back up, put the clear lens section with the attached painted but AND the black headlamp assembly into the oven and bake at 60 degrees C for 10-15 mins.

Pull them out, and push them together. May need towel again for this. Make sure ALL the black tabs have been pushed over the clear tabs.

Screw all screws back in, fit bulbs, fit back into vehicle.

Done.

Fog lamps, almost the same, but they have a different kind of 'goop' that holds them together. It requires about 80 degrees C oven temp for around 35-40 mins.

I am only offering this as advice if you wish to follow it. Please do not hold me responsible for any damage or problems caused if you forget the lamps in the oven, or mark the plastics.

Hope this helps.  8)

Offline grug

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Wow.

My partner isn't going to be very impressed by this list though I think.  She'll get to the word 'oven' and I'll be stopped from anything further!   :lol:

So no sanding then?  Good to know.

As you've mentioned, the taping of various parts will be the most time consuming bit.

Doesn't sound particularly pricey either which is also good.

Thank you Thumper, very appreciative!

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
All up cost, $12.50 for the paint, $4 for the microfiber towels and $1.50 for the masking tape.

Then it was time spent on them. (This is what would cost the most if you had another do the lights for you)

No sanding.

The taping of the lights was done on the fog lights only.

I could have taped up the indicator reflectors on the main lights, but I didn't want that, since I will be using high powered LED projection into the indicator lens.

As for what mods and colours, just have a look at the Koren pictures, the sky is the limit (And legal issues in Australia)

The dealership I purchased the vehicle from has seen the lights, liking them so much they wish for me to help them with a display i30, colour coded, with some simple mods to make it stand out.

Vivid blue, with black highlights on the bonnet, roof, grill and lights. Nice wheels. That should turn some heads.  :twisted:

mickhs
Thumper

A very detailed and excellent description of your method. When I eventually get my i30 I may be tempted... except I have a gas oven!

Question I have to ask is whether all the modifications you have made, eg painting, exhaust, etc, has any impacts on your warranty?

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Question I have to ask is whether all the modifications you have made, eg painting, exhaust, etc, has any impacts on your warranty?
Painting can't affect your warranty - unless you're trying to get warranty on the plastic casing? Or on the lights blowing? Exhaust maybe can, if you get smoke blowing through your car they could say you did the exhaust badly - but warranty is only really affected if there is some way in which they could show that the changes you've made was a possible cause of the issue. A warranty is effectively a contract with Hyundai that unless you've done something that could have created the problem, they have to fix it.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
The items modified are not covered, obviously.

Anything else, it's up to Hyundai to show that what I have modified has caused another item to fail.  8)

In saying that, I have the stock exhaust, stock tail lamps sitting in boxes in the garage. Headlamps, well, that's up to me, otherwise I'll just purchase new headlights.

ScangagueII is only a monitoring device, that can be removed easily. (No changes to the vehicle)

Rear spoiler is covered by Hyundai factory warranty, since it's a factory part, painted by the factory.

HiD systems, obviously not covered by warranty, and if they blow, then 30 second job in reverting back to factory stock. (Everything expect the painting can be reverted back to factory condition)

Offline YOSOYPEPO

• 3rd Gear

• es Spain
      Spain

• Spanish i30 driver
    • http://www.i30.es

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

thank you very much Thumper
Ditto. Can't wait to try doing this. Reckon I'd get in trouble if I did one Red, one Blue? :evil:

Offline i30 Roolz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal